4 month old and sun screen

Bowie MeMe

Leaving in just a week for time at Disney World and a family wedding in Florida. DGS is just 4 months old and I am looking for ideas on protecting him from sun. Daughter says that sunscreen chemicals can not be used until age 6 months. Anybody have any ideas on how to protect the little guy (who will cruise for his first time at age 6 months 3 days:D)

Leaving in just a week for time at Disney World and a family wedding in Florida. DGS is just 4 months old and I am looking for ideas on protecting him from sun. Daughter says that sunscreen chemicals can not be used until age 6 months. Anybody have any ideas on how to protect the little guy (who will cruise for his first time at age 6 months 3 days:D)

Hat, UV shirts (available at target), sunshelter if you plan on beaching it. Also check into California Baby sunscreen. I can't remember but I think that you can use that before 6 months. It is very expensive ($18), but worth it and is available at Wholefoods.

Ideally, you shouldn't use sunscreen until 6 months old.

The best protection is to keep your grandson out of the sun. Do things in the morning and late afternoon, use a stroller with large sunshade, keep him in long pants/long sleeves with a wide brim hat to protect his face and neck.

That being said, it's not exactly practical :)

You can buy spf 50 clothing that would help. Just google it and you'll find several sites to buy from.

And ask you ped for a recommendation on sunscreen. Sunscreen is not ideal but is much better than sunburn!!! And there are some brands out there that use less chemicals and are more organic/natural.

Nutragena has one.

California Baby

Blue Lizard

UV Natural Baby

I believe there are sun blocks for kids that aren't aborbed into the skin - probaby some of those already mentioned. I would just consider the high cost as one of the necessary expenses of my vacation if I were taking a baby to the sun, since it's been shown that early sun exposure can lead to melanoma later in life.

Maybe ask the pediatrician as well.

Best,

Mia

Our daughter's pediatrician also told us the same. Before 6 months she should not use any type of sunscreen because babies are allergic. She should be protected out of the beach, on the shade, and with clothes covering as much of her body as possible - shirts with long sleaves and clothes that leave her legs fully covered.

She warned us because we live by the beach.

After 6 months she recomended this:

avus_SUNCARE_VeryHighProtecCreamSPF50_prod_detail_01.jpg

Offers 100% mineral sunscreen protection for skin that is extremely sun sensitive. Ideal for use on children.

Thanks everyone. I too think that sunscreen is the lesser evil than sunburn. We will keep him out of sun as much as possible but we are spending one day at the World and two at Seaworld so we will be outside.

It has rained so much here lately that he won't be used to sun =)

Archived