How did naps work out on your cruise??

lisascott207

I am bummed that I didn't transition DS, who is 15MO to 1 nap before our cruise. I am wondering about other people's experiences were w/napping. Did you stick to a schedule? Did you try to nap on the run? I dont want to miss out on the ports but DS really needs his sleep!

Shoot my Husband on weekends naps twice a day, never worried about it on the ship. But he is old enough to be left alone with a post it on his nose.

Honest if your son can nap in a stroller things should be just fine.

But he is old enough to be left alone with a post it on his nose.

LOL! Thanks for that image! It cracked me up!

I can't speak for cruising, but we've been going to Disney World about every other month since my daughter was 22 months old. Plus, we've been on long camping trips since she was 6 months old.

What we did for naps was use our Graco stroller that reclines fully and has a canopy. Then, I took clothespins and 2 receiving blankets, and made a sort of curtain around the front of the stroller to block off the light and the visual stimulation around her. Resistance was futile. If I thought she might try to resist reclining in her stroller, I would give her a snack bag of Goldfish crackers and a sippy, put her in the stroller, and she would usually conk out with her hand still in the bag. :D

We didn't stick to a regular schedule, they were up much later at night. But the afternoon nap was a must, we did the stroller nap as long as we could by taking a nice walk around the boat a few times. When he got older we took a nap in the room, we all did, but we kind of needed one too. It is nice to be able to nap once in a while! If we are in port and get back late, we still nap but keep the kids up later than usual. The next morning we just sleep a little later.

If afternoon nap is very important consider in room babysitting during that time. If your child is very scheduled you could get them down at the same time then have a sitter come to the room. It would give you and your husband some time to yourselves!

Yes, I am a big fan of the inroom babysitters. We loved the one we used on RCL! Would not cruise without it!

I am bummed that I didn't transition DS, who is 15MO to 1 nap before our cruise. I am wondering about other people's experiences were w/napping. Did you stick to a schedule? Did you try to nap on the run? I dont want to miss out on the ports but DS really needs his sleep!

We napped on schedule when we could. Otherwise we did our best to encourage sleep when we were out and it was "that time". We also tried our best to develop thick skins prior to an excursion or outing, just in case our child decided to take on the "tired and cranky" personality.

You could always do a 1/2 day (morning) outing and/or trying to make the next day a sleep day.

Truth is, it probably wont be as bad as you think it will be. I always think its going to be bad and it turns out way better than I thought.

Good luck!

Thanks..DS can't miss his afternoon nap if I want him to function at dinnertime. I highly doubt he will nap in the stroller but here is hoping!

Our daughter is turning 5 in August and still naps most days which will end when she starts kindergarten in the fall. We alway have the late seating for dinner so here's what we do.....

We plan a very late nap, around 4:00 after going all day long. That way she is good to go until about 10:00 or so. We also don't stick to our usual schedule. We sleep in a little later and stay up later. We get right back to our normal routine once off the ship with no problems at all.

Thanks..DS can't miss his afternoon nap if I want him to function at dinnertime. I highly doubt he will nap in the stroller but here is hoping!

Unless you are weary of the idea, how about an in-room sitter for dinner times then? It would give you and DH a chance to spend some time alone and would ensure that DS is given every opportunity to fall asleep early if he needs to. At the very least he wont be out and about and cranky.

Lol, he'll be contained in your room and cranky :D

Archived