Carnival Magic

It was announced a long time ago that it will be "Port Canaveral". They have already been booking cruises for the Dream through April 2011 for some time now..

it was announced that dream would be out of port canaveral...

magic's home port has not been announced...

Yeah, that's what I thought!

i wrote to john heald about this a week or two ago... here's his reply:

John Says:

Hello Mark

I see we have another fan of the Carnival Dream photos and her sister ship, hull number 6167 The Carnival Magic will be here in 2011. Exactly when I can’t say just yet but I am sure soon we will start to get more details. I for one would hope that the Carnival Magic will see Europe and I if so I will certainly request to be the Cruise Director. Well, as to your last question it is also a little early to start speculating on her homeport. I will tell you that everyone at Carnival realises how important Galveston is as a home port and how successful our ships are that sail from there. Lets see what the future holds and I will promise to keep you informed and let me investigate just why the details for later months in 2010 have yet to be announced

My best to you and the family

cheers

John

The smart money is on Galveston...

When we were on the Blogger's in February I asked John that question directly. John, rather uncharacteristically, looked up in the air, hemmed and hawed a bit and then danced around the answer...

There's still no official word and don't expect any for a number of months but I'll be a bit surprised if it's not Galveston.

Florida will have a Dream Class ship already so homeporting another one there wouldn't make sense...

:)

The smart money is on Galveston...

When we were on the Blogger's in February I asked John that question directly. John, rather uncharacteristically, looked up in the air, hemmed and hawed a bit and then danced around the answer...

There's still no official word and don't expect any for a number of months but I'll be a bit surprised if it's not Galveston.

Florida will have a Dream Class ship already so homeporting another one there wouldn't make sense...

John is pretty good about not anwering part of a question when he doesn't want to or he can't. :)

John is pretty good about not anwering part of a question when he doesn't want to or he can't. :)

Yeah... he even does that when I call him and ask a question he can't answer... It's really pretty funny. He goes into his routine and when he's done I say 'So, I'm guessing that's a yes...'

;)

Honestly, it would not be a smart move to put Magic in Galveston. Why? They don't need to. There is minimal competition in Galveston, and there is none year-round. They don't need to put the line's newest, biggest ship there. On the other hand, Port Everglades is getting both Oasis and Allure. Whether or not you want to sail on these ships, these ships are attracting a lot of attention, and will be bringing a lot of cruisers to RCL to see what they are like. For Carnival to more effectively compete in the south Floriday homeport market, it makes more sense to put the Magic in Fort Lauderdale or Miami, especially when they put the Splendor in Long Beach (to compete with Mariner) and Dream in Port Canaveral (to compete with Freedom and Disney's future builds). By the time Magic rolls out, the newest ship in south Florida will be 4 years old.

Honestly, it would not be a smart move to put Magic in Galveston. Why? They don't need to. There is minimal competition in Galveston, and there is none year-round. They don't need to put the line's newest, biggest ship there. On the other hand, Port Everglades is getting both Oasis and Allure. Whether or not you want to sail on these ships, these ships are attracting a lot of attention, and will be bringing a lot of cruisers to RCL to see what they are like. For Carnival to more effectively compete in the south Floriday homeport market, it makes more sense to put the Magic in Fort Lauderdale or Miami, especially when they put the Splendor in Long Beach (to compete with Mariner) and Dream in Port Canaveral (to compete with Freedom and Disney's future builds). By the time Magic rolls out, the newest ship in south Florida will be 4 years old.

Galveston. well Texas, is a huge market for Carnival. The ships always sail full and command good prices.

John indicated that there's a strong chance that we'll see a third ship here.

Makes perfect sense to me. Put the ship where there's little competition and you can make a good buck on each and every cabin...

That is pretty stupid of RC. They have both the Oasis and Allure doing the exact same iten. just in reverse order and leaving on different days from the same port. But I guess with ships ships so large they don't have many choices for ports they can go to.

yeah... He even does that when i call him and ask a question he can't answer... It's really pretty funny. He goes into his routine and when he's done i say 'so, i'm guessing that's a yes...'

;)

haha:d

Galveston. well Texas, is a huge market for Carnival. The ships always sail full and command good prices.

i agree with mach and there's another consideration beyond just the size of the texas market - the size of the demographic of people who can drive to the port.

for lots of the people in the middle of the country, galveston is the closest port to drive to... it's also more convenient for people to fly to from the west coast than florida - about half the distance / time.

carnival is specifically positioning their ships at domestic home ports to be as convenient as possible for driving to your cruise. that being considered, if you want maximum market exposure, stationing one ship in florida and one in galveston, effectively in the middle of the country, is about a 50/50 split, which seems like it would be a wise decision to me...

Archived