Tweens on NCL - Activities

shellgoodman

We are taking our 2 girls in a month to Alaska. In the past, they loved the Disney and Carnival kids clubs. However, last year we took them on a RCCL cruise (Mariner of the Seas) and they absolutely hated the kids club. The activities were all sports related so it seemed like PE to my girls. If they were boys, I am sure they would have liked it more. It was also really disorganized and the counselors seemed so disinterested. By the end of the trip, the kids refused to go at night which meant my DH and I missed out on late night comedians and shows.

My kids are 2 years apart so they know that they will be separated and it is no big deal to them. They have been split before and it is ok. My question is this: Are the activities for 9 and 11 yr olds solely sports related? They like arts and crafts, computers, creative games. They will do the sports stuff too but just not all day or night.

If the activities are all sports, my older one is already negotiating with us to let her and her sister go back to the cabin, order room service and watch movies. I'd feel a whole lot better if they stayed at the kids club. I am hoping this experience will be better for them!

I'm surprised that they didn't love Rci's club---most kids do! I've never heard before that everything was active and "sports related"!

Have you asked this question on the NCL boards? I've never taken kids on an NCL cruise, but I would imagine "crafts" would be a major part of the "club" experience!

I was shocked at my kids reaction on the Mariner as I thought that this would be their favorite of all the lines kids clubs. I did witness what my kids were telling me though. One point that I should make was that this was the week between Thanksgiving and 1st week of December so there weren't as many kids onboard. I think the crew was burnt out after having 900 kids on board for Thanksgiving. They seemed tired and really didn't seem all that excited to start another week with a bunch of kids.

In terms of all the sports that cruise, I think that it was just an easy way out for the counselors because they were so tired. I understand that but my kids were bored and ultimately refused to go at the end of the trip.

In terms of putting on the NCL boards, I didn't want to get flamed for a duplicating post. Just wanted to find out from the moms on here what they think about the NCL club.

Archived