All things "Victory"

richbum

My wife and I just got back yesterday. We had a great time. Thanks to a call from the cheap upsell fairy we had our one, and probably only cruise in a Cat 12 GS suite. (cabin 7306). Loved the space, but we were never disappointed with a cat 8 balcony either.

We flew in the day of the cruise and had no issues. I had read a tip to get a porter at San Juan baggage claim and they will lead you to the head of the taxi line. Best tip I ever got and the best 5 bucks I ever spent. Got our taxi- I felt guilty for about 3 minutes, ok maybe 2.

Got to the pier gave a porter at the end of the pier a tip and the bags showed up in our room 2 hours later. On board processing was quick- 5 minutes in the VIP lounge and we were on board with sail and sign card in hand. Went right to the room. We happened to get there minutes after my brother and wife who were first time cruisers and had a cat 4 across the hall.

We experienced none, as in zero of the complaints that were a theme in these reviews for a while. No long lines at the buffets, no rude Puerto Ricans, no abundance of kids running down the halls- in fact we rarely saw kids. No fights for elevators. This cruise was just as good as all past cruises we have sailed on.

St Thomas- Butterfly farm is not worth the money.

We did the Timini Catamaran turtle snorkel booked through the ship in Barbados. +5. Much fun, the turtles were right next to me. The bar opened on the return trip. Yes, we were doing a conga line as we went by the victory. Gotta love free rum punch.

St Lucia- We booked Cosol tours on our own based on CC suggestions. We were not disappointed. Another great tour at only 65 bucks each. It was a full day with lots of stops, food, and drink I highly endorse Cosol.

We did the Scenic rail Tour in St Kitts booked through the ship. A nice relaxing way to see the island.

Ate in the Pacific room all nights but one. Service and food were good

Disembarking: We had zone 1 because of the suite but did not need it. We had a 4pm flight. I have read complaints about the San Juan airport being a madhouse. It was, but then so is Cancun, Montego Bay, etc on a travel day. Don’t forget the USDA line before check in. Suck it up and just do it.

My only disappointment is that it is all over. Great ship, great tour, have fun.

And they never found the liter of whiskey in my packed luggage. If you have any questions I will try and answer. Happy cruising!

If you have any questions I will try and answer. Happy cruising!

What time did you get to pier?

Catamaran with turtles

1.)Can you tell me how crowded the tour was (number of people) and was there enough space to lounge in sun on boat?

2.)Did you get picked up near pier, or meet Tiami there?

3.)Time of tour-what time met and returned?

Scenic Railway St. Kitts:

4.)Do you see enough to get island feel and is it narrated?

the railway tour is a great tour. depending on if you get the 1st or 2d tour, 2nd tour is half way around the island by bus and narrated very well. it stops at the rail terminus and you board the train. the train tour is the rest of the way around the island back to the ship and is narrated and a trio sings songs along the way. water and rum punch is free for the ride. you'll see 90% of the coast line and the houses and things along the way. very informative and historical. the 1st tour runs the opposite, train ride first half around the island and bus ride back to the ship. the tour is so nice, i had to do it twice. ( 08 and 10 ).

the railway tour is a great tour. depending on if you get the 1st or 2d tour, 2nd tour is half way around the island by bus and narrated very well. it stops at the rail terminus and you board the train. the train tour is the rest of the way around the island back to the ship and is narrated and a trio sings songs along the way. water and rum punch is free for the ride. you'll see 90% of the coast line and the houses and things along the way. very informative and historical. the 1st tour runs the opposite, train ride first half around the island and bus ride back to the ship. the tour is so nice, i had to do it twice. ( 08 and 10 ).

do you have a preference of train first or second? How do you know which one you are getting?

do you have a preference of train first or second? How do you know which one you are getting?

i've done it both ways. i like the 2d trip better, only because the sun is higher and the light is better for taking pictures. also some of the morning clouds have burned away by then. other than that, there's really not much difference.

when you sign up for the trip you'll have the option to choose which trip you want to take. i think the 2d trip leaves the dock at 10 am?

Edited by WishIwasOutThereNOW

i've done it both ways. i like the 2d trip better, only because the sun is higher and the light is better for taking pictures. also some of the morning clouds have burned away by then. other than that, there's really not much difference.

when you sign up for the trip you'll have the option to choose which trip you want to take. i think the 2d trip leaves the dock at 10 am?

thanks that info helps, my mom will be glad to hear that-she is not the early riser. Gotta rise slow and have coffee :p

What time did you get to pier?

Catamaran with turtles

1.)Can you tell me how crowded the tour was (number of people) and was there enough space to lounge in sun on boat?

2.)Did you get picked up near pier, or meet Tiami there?

3.)Time of tour-what time met and returned?

1. we got to the ship at about 2:30 pm

2. Timini met us at the Pier

3. I think out Timini tour was at noon, about 24 people on eact catamaran. It was not crowded. For the beach stop the are "next" to the bach in about 12 feet of water. You must swim ashore. My wife is a non swimmer, but she put on a vest and the helped her woth a float to get back and forth. We were gone about 3.5 hours.

4.RR Tour- I see this has beem answered. The tour goes at 8:30 or 10:00 am. we went at 10:00. In addition to the other replies I would add that the people were very friendy. The school kids would run and wave when the train went by. The tour is pricey at almost 100 each. But I think it was a very unique way to see the island and worth the money. I will try and link some train pics later today.

Cabin 7306

your cabin next store to ours! We sail in July Grand Suite, and with help of CC members and photos figured out that port was a good side to pick this cruise. Thanks for photos. We won't have the exact amount of room but look forward to location on ship.

For those of you that want to see more pictures and video clips of the Carnival Victory--now is your chance!

I have finally completed YouTube videos of our Southern Caribbean Cruise, July 5-12, 2009. Here are two videos about this Grand ship.

Carnival Victory--The Ship

Sailing out of San Juan, this video features highlights of the Ship—including the waiter’s dance and farewell song. Length: 9:54

Carnival Victory—Entertainment

This video features some of the live entertainment offered by the Carnival Victory on our Southern Caribbean Cruise. Length: 6:47

If you are interested in seeing YouTube videos about our pre and post-cruise vacation as well as our excursions at the different ports of call, just check out my Carnival Victory Review (link is in my signature). Links to the videos begin on page 13. I will be posting more videos onto my Review each day.

I saw where someone had posted views from a port balcony. I have a starboard balcony booked and wondered if anyone had photos of those views in the various ports. I'm considering changing to a suite so would like to know before I make the change whether one side or the other is preferable, in your opinion.

I saw where someone had posted views from a port balcony. I have a starboard balcony booked and wondered if anyone had photos of those views in the various ports. I'm considering changing to a suite so would like to know before I make the change whether one side or the other is preferable, in your opinion.

We sail Victory in July 2010 in a suite (25th Anniversary) and from reading posts, looking at photos port side seems better for this itinerary.

Based on recent research-It cannot be predicted. Sometime the ship will pull into a dock, at other timers she will back in. Many things such as wind speed and direction can affect the Captain's call in this regard. Here is general trend:

San Juan- if consistent- will be parked perpendicular to shoreline, so not that much difference, but usually they "back"in so get to watch dockside the gangway and love watching them load luggage and supplies.The starboard will have city views when leaving though

St.Thomas- starboard will face hills, and the dock of Havensite. the Portside should face water and downtown St.Thomas (Charlotte Amalie), and marina yachts (never have had this view, I like people watching and see people get onboard or barely make it on board!) according to another poster- said they swung 180 when leaving so had a full view.

Dominica-port side will face the pier, not sure of alternate view. Sail away with port facing island

St.Lucia-docked on starboard, but city view is portside

Barbados- no info on this one (sorry)

St.Lucia-

St.Kitts-docked on the port side but,the city is in front of the ship. Turned 180 degrees at sail away.

St.Maarten- port side will face main harbor, and Phillipsburg across water. Starboard should face dock and directly at another ship (unless Victory is that ship). It pulls in with nose facing town.

Don't sailaway and possibility of a horn war! It has happened.

Hope it helps decision

Thanks -- I went ahead and booked a port side Ocean Suite today :D

We are also in OS for July 4th sailing. Frist time on Victory for us, but have sailed OS cat 11 level before.

When are you sailing?

I like the benefit of VIP boarding in San Juan- good port for that, and love the lack of crowds for lido deck,deli grill when boarding and being able to find a table.