Snorkeling at Governor's Beach

ScubaJune

More questions about Governor's Beach...my husband and I plan to walk from the cruise pier with our own snorkel gear. Is there a specific spot off the beach that is best for snorkeling? How big is the beach itself? Can you get food and drinks there?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much:)

June

we went to Governor's beach about two years ago. We are going back in a week. We loved it. The right side of the beach has some rocks and a few good things to look at. Over all I didn't love the snorkeling. All the rocks made it hard to enjoy my self. But we did catch an octopus.

One amazing thing about this beach is the beauty. It is untouched. It is peaceful.

There used to be a snack stand, but I heard the last storm destroyed it and they have not fixed it.

I don't know how long of a walk it is. I am sure its walk able. I took a cab for 2 bucks.

look at this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=930684&highlight

Hi Scuba Jane :)

We didn't go to Governor's beach as we heard the off beach snorkeling was best off the beach at the Bohio Dive Resort. This is Pillory Beach. The beach and facilities here were nice. You had to swim out a few hundred yards, to get to a ledge where the snorkeling was pretty good. There was still quite a bit of debris in the water from the hurricane. We took a taxi to Pillory for $7 pp each way. Pictures are here: http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b276/alphakitty/Carnival%20Destiny%20cruise/?start=140

we went to Governor's beach about two years ago. We are going back in a week. We loved it. The right side of the beach has some rocks and a few good things to look at. Over all I didn't love the snorkeling. All the rocks made it hard to enjoy my self. But we did catch an octopus.

One amazing thing about this beach is the beauty. It is untouched. It is peaceful.

There used to be a snack stand, but I heard the last storm destroyed it and they have not fixed it.

I don't know how long of a walk it is. I am sure its walk able. I took a cab for 2 bucks.

look at this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=930684&highlight

Thanks Chelsea that helped alot. Do you think you could post here when you get back? We don't leave until June and I would love to know what you find when you go...

Thanks again!

scubajane, we just returned from grand turks,governers beach was very nice,we were the only 2 in the water,there is a coral restoration project about 75 -100 yds offshore.we never made it out to it but there were many beautiful fish to see,not as many as you would see on a tour,but it is free.nowhere on gov. beach to rent/buy snorkel gear,we brought our own.no food or bev. available on this beach. it is only a short walk from the ship.we rented a golf cart for 80 dollars a day,only needed 3 hours to see the island,still very devasted from the storm last year.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to both Governor's and Pillroy beach.

This is not the place to snorkel - there is no coral life near the shore line.

Sad to say and see, especially when Grand Turk is known for excellent snorkeling and scuba diving.

Very disappointing.

The only way to see fish and coral life is a few hundred yards from shore, at the Reef Wall - continental shelf were it suddenly drops off to a depth of 7,000 feet. Too far to swim out.

Pic of Governor's

425328442_8-10-06GrandTurkGovernorsBeach.jpg.6c1dc0e5645d7f2837a43d3dc310c6fe.jpg

Pic of Pillroy

(sand wasn't clean - even horse droppings :eek:)

DSCN1626.jpg.c59251583fb87418f29902b6d00e2d87.jpg

Hi Chelsea,

Anything to report?

Thanks.

June

We were there a little over a week ago. Very pretty. The water is the prettiest I have seen. Governor's beach is back in full swing. Carnival offered snorkel trips there. The snack shack was opened. The sand was a little bigger than normal. No need for water shoes though. The beach was just sand. No metal left from the storm.

The cab ride was $3 each way.

Ilandnurse, thanks this is the best snorkle suggestion I have read on theboards, my wife and I will be there next week and we are looking forward to doing just that. I have been apprehensive about the swim to the wall so we bought snorkel vests incase we need a float break;). Can't wait

Thanks again

Archived