Seeking access info: Voayger OTS, Cozumel, Roatan and Costa Maya

Howdy...

We are booked in December on Voyager OTS from Galveston and would appreciate any accessibility info about the ship and its ports of call... Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya

Hubby is w/c bound... using power w/c, but we can also take a manual chair and he can transfer.

We are booked in a E2 balconmy accessible cabin.

Thanks for everyones help!

I've been to Costa Maya and Cozumel but it's been a few years (and a couple hurricanes ago). Depending on your husband's limitations, there isn't much around Costa Maya. My mom is in a wheelchair and unable to walk or climb stairs. There is a shopping area right by the pier with a stage that has some dancers and entertainment. She was limited to those areas. If your husband can walk some or has a means of going through the sand, there are beaches nearby that offer amenities such as restaurants/bars and massage tables. There are also some snorkeling tours (requires climbing onto a boat and later down/up the ladder), a few smaller Aztec ruins (rocky/unpaved areas and probably a climb onto a bus or in a van) nearby, and a local village (unpaved roads/no sidewalks) that will require a 5-10 minute taxi ride.

Cozumel has options, but again, it depends on the mobility limitations. There are sidewalks in the shopping areas, but there aren't always curb cuts and some aren't in good condition. I went to the Tulum ruins but not with my mom. If climbing a couple of steps isn't a problem, there are fairly well maintained paths (hardpacked but with a few rough spots) through the ruins. I would recommend a manuel chair rather than a scooter for this because the chair/scotter would also have to be brought up the steps at the entrance. However, it is a long tour and it can be extremely hot, even in winter. When we were there in Jan, the temps hit 92 deg F. If you prefer laid back, there are beaches. We took my mom to Chankanaab Park, which has a display of fake ruins, gardens, a dolphin park, and a small beach with a snorkeling trail. There are a few restaurants/snack shops on site. There were a few areas where the paths were not good and required assistance, but overall the accessibility was reasonable. I can't remember the entrance fee. We took a taxi from the pier to get there.

I have never been to Roatan.

Edited: I haven't been on Voyager. My mom was on Explorer a couple of years ago. She didn't have problems getting around except for some complaints about the ship being too crowded and it taking forever to get an elevator. I know they had a balcony cabin but I don't remember what class. She didn't have any problems with the cabin - plenty of room and balcony was accessible.

Archived