tauranga to whakatane

hi i will be going on the holland america cruise from sydney to new zealand in february 2010 on the volendam, i would like to take the trip to white island but it leaves from whakatane does anyone know how far it is from tauranga and how to get there, the ship docks at 0700 -2000 and the white island trip leaves at 0930

thanks

hi i will be going on the holland america cruise from sydney to new zealand in february 2010 on the volendam, i would like to take the trip to white island but it leaves from whakatane does anyone know how far it is from tauranga and how to get there, the ship docks at 0700 -2000 and the white island trip leaves at 0930

thanks

Kia ora i Rotorua,

It is about an hours drive from the port to Whakatane, so if you are off the ship by 8am you should have plenty of time. From memory the island is about 40ks from Whakatane, with sailing depending on the weather. The trip is not for those with impaired mobility & hard hats and gas masks are issued. Whakatane is not a large town so you shouldn't have difficulty finding the departure point, which adjacent to the river & the Strand, the main shopping street. There are no permanent residents on the island. Cruise ships usually cruise past/around the island so even if you don't land you will at least see it reasonably close up. From from White Island through Rotorua to Taupo and the active volcanoe of Ruapehu is a volcanic region. Parts of the island are not unlike those you would see if you visit the thermal areas at Rotorua. Trust this helps

Aquarians

Thanks this does help, i am thinking i might hire a car and go see the parts of rotorua i haven't seen before especialy if, as you say some of the thermal activity there is similar, as the cruise to white island is weather dependent i would hate to get there only to find it cancelled. it also helps to know that the cruise ship will go reasonably close so at least i can be out on deck with a long distance lens! thank you for the prompt reply to my query.

jackiedanny

Archived