Stopping in Mexico after all?

Amid reports that the worst may be over with the swine flu in the US and Mexico, I'm wondering when the cruise lines will return to their original itineraries with stops in Mexico. All over Mexico, restrictions are being lifted. Anyone have any thoughts or info on this? I'm scheduled to stop in Cozumel at the end of May.

Amid reports that the worst may be over with the swine flu in the US and Mexico, I'm wondering when the cruise lines will return to their original itineraries with stops in Mexico. All over Mexico, restrictions are being lifted. Anyone have any thoughts or info on this? I'm scheduled to stop in Cozumel at the end of May.

Check out the Swine Flu sticky forum. The forum is dedicated to everything you just mentioned.

I don't know about the cruise lines, but hear in Michigan, we are being threatened with school closings. In the county that I live, if the powers that be that be even suspect a case of the swine flu they are closing the schools for an entire week and having special cleaning companies come in to disinfect the the entire school. The cleaning crews being used are those that clean up after dangerous industrial spills - I think they are called "hazmat"; they work with hazardous materials. Several schools have been closed in the state already.

My guess is that they will not change back until the date they said. There is such a ****storm about the itineraries being changed. Now that they have specified a date to return to Mexico, I think they will stick to it. I could be wrong, but it seems like it is only a month (for the Mariner-June 14th) so they will probably just ride out this situation and do what they said they will do. All the people booked now have plenty of time to make changes and cancel or whatever...could you imagine the backlash when people canceled their cruise on may 24th only to have it go back to the original itinerary? I don't think RCI wants that.

My guess is that they will not change back until the date they said. There is such a ****storm about the itineraries being changed. Now that they have specified a date to return to Mexico, I think they will stick to it. I could be wrong, but it seems like it is only a month (for the Mariner-June 14th) so they will probably just ride out this situation and do what they said they will do. All the people booked now have plenty of time to make changes and cancel or whatever...could you imagine the backlash when people canceled their cruise on may 24th only to have it go back to the original itinerary? I don't think RCI wants that.

I think you are probably right. While they are constantly reassessing the situation and will return to their original itineraries when they are convinced that the problem has dissipated, I suspect that they may well wait until at least mid-June to do so. If they get clearance much before then, they might reconsider but when you think about all of the things that have to be done, they are more likely to wait until the current schedule has been completed.

Archived