Food Quality

k2

Do you feel that the quality of the food has declined on RCL in the past 5 years?  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that the quality of the food has declined on RCL in the past 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care, I'm not cooking
    • Have only cruised this line once, so I cannot compare.

..... who don't see cruising as a reason to be gluttons nor do we try to eat everything in sight ....
:rolleyes:Man has been designed by nature for feast and famine. As hunter gatherers we have existed on this planet for thousands of years able to survive on very little but occasionally have gorged ourselves when we were lucky enough to trap that woolly mammoth. So when I cruise I do not hold back if the food is good. I normally do not overeat, but I feel that cruising provides me with the excuse for a feast. I have read articles about this concept written by researchers who support the premise that overeating on occasion does no harm to your health. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

For those of you who speak of the food as "great", "bad", "good", "average"

etc., I for one do not have a clue as to what that means. I can relate to hot or cold to overcooked and undercooked but not to the above. Food is and always will be subjective. People walk out of the Zizzler after having their $9.99 top sirloin and say "it was great". I wouln't give it to my dog. I would love someone to give examples of the "great goumet" food on Celebrity. What were the menu choices and how do they differ from RCL?

:rolleyes:Man has been designed by nature for feast and famine. As hunter gatherers we have existed on this planet for thousands of years able to survive on very little but occasionally have gorged ourselves when we were lucky enough to trap that woolly mammoth.
Very true! The place where the system breaks down for us, now, is the hunting and gathering bit. We still do the eating, but the physical work that always tempered the caloric intake from feasting is gone, for at least 60% of Americans. That's the crux of the problem.

I am still supprised by the number of people that look forward to "lobster night". This has been my single bigggest dissappointment on a cruise. The lobster they serve is TERRIBLE!!! If the lobster on these cruises is your basis for describing a good meal, some of you sadly have not had a real lobster dinner. The food on each of our cruises has been average at best. Of course there is the occasional supprise, but the food is mass produced cafeteria quality that is pretty hard to make better.

I don't eat lobster often, living in Kansas, so I look forward to the lobster night and hope that it will be well prepared. Sure, we can get it here, but it isn't quite the same environment. However, I look forward to every night as I also enjoy the presentation and the opportunity to try something that I don't get at home. It's an impact on all the senses.

Cruise ships have been turning out thousands of meals for a very long time.

One of my favorite dining room overall experiences was on the Voyager. At the time it was the largest cruise ship in the world and cranked out about ten thousand meals per day.

Ships are fully provisioned for the entire cruise at the port of embarkation, they do not pick up food at ports on the itinerary.

Reggie:D

I dont know about that RR...

I know on 3 different talks (Q&A) two on Rhapsody.They have talked about bringing on some provisions on a regular basis.Now.I know that in the Rhapsodys case,it was in Key West.I would guess they do not at other ports.

On a lighter note.This Sept in Coz,we had noticed several large boxes being transfered between Rhapsody and Mariner.We were told later that we had to loan Mariner some Eggs:D

Understood. That jives, at least with my DoA concern. What would they take on at Key West that they wouldn't take on (for less money) at Miami? Fish, I suppose. Everything else has got to be more expensive on the Keys.

as far as i'm concerned, ANY meal that I don't have to shop,plan and cook is a good meal to me!!!!

We were on the Radiance in Sept and there was only 1 meal that I didn't care for, and I ordered steak and it was great. I even asked for some sauted mushrooms and got them with no problem.

We were on a 11 day to Hawaii and I still managed to put 4 lbs on. That was even with going to the gym and doing the walk around the top deck everyday!!!!!

Understood. That jives, at least with my DoA concern. What would they take on at Key West that they wouldn't take on (for less money) at Miami? Fish, I suppose. Everything else has got to be more expensive on the Keys.

Well..Remember,that 2 of those were on Rhapsody,out of Galveston...I am hoping they pick up "somewhat" fresh Lobster in KW:D

I agree with you Erie Dave. They should rename it "Really Big Crawfish Night". I live in Dallas but we are fortunate enough to have at least one very good restaurant that has live lobsters flown in from Nova Scotia daily. The last time that we dined there DH and I split a six pound lobster! I dread "Lobster Night".

Well, there are surely different species of lobster. We're spoiled, here in the Northeast, blessed with ready-access to the best lobster on the face of the Earth.

Rub it in, why don't you? Can you imagine the quality of lobster that is generally available in Dallas, Texas (shakes head)? Granted, you can get a live lobster cooked, but the prices are a little mind boggling, so it's usually frozen for us unless a major special occasion. I love lobster and can only dream about what you guys get to enjoy whenever the urge strikes. Oh well, at least I can say it will be in the upper 60's all week in Dallas!

My vote is food is mediocre, my husband thought the food was crummy, neither of us ever went hungry, and yes, we'd sail RCI again gladly.

• 3 months later...

I would have to say I'm satisfied with the food. Not overly ecstatic about it, but not disappointed either. Due to the fact that there are many choices for each meal and a number of different dining venues on the ship, one could hardly hate everything!! Pick an item that looks good to you, order it, taste it, and if its to your liking eat the rest... if not send it back and get something else. I've always been able to find more than one item that really tastes great.

I would certainly not equate an appreciation for food prepared well and served with flair with gluttony. Everyone elects to cruise for a different reason, some cruise for the food. I have seen all kinds complain about all sorts of things, thin, thick and somewhere in between. To infere, state or imply that the only people who complain about bad food are obese, overweight or just not thin enough is more than a little insensative. I have sat on both sides of the obesity fence, thin now, was not always and am going to cruise the week after a marathon this year. I still like good food, food prepared well. I will eat as I will because I will be taking a break from training for a few weeks and look forward to it. That does not make me gluttonous.

Humans are humans and some eat too much and some not enough. I have had it with judgements about it. Live and let live.

As for the food on RCI ships? Yes, it has declined, quite a bit since my first cruise almost 20 years ago. They do well for a banquet hall but you know I have had some darn good meals in banquet halls. No, the lobster is not heaven.. but it passes. I do wish I could get my meat more rare but as one poster said, I don't have to cook it and that's a vacation to me! The thing that's great about cruises is I am a grazer, little bits all day long as I am hungry. Small portions appeal to me. My husband eats at meals only and he eats! (he is small but he can pack it away.. he turns 40 in three years, snort lol.. we shall see what happens then). He will eat more than one entree and what I leave on my plate. It works out for us.

Again, to each his own. It is very easy to sit there looking at other passengers with a critical eye judging them when they are not having a good time but why on earth would anyone waste their vacation by sitting around and making critical comments about people you percieve as "too" you name it?

I cruised for the first time on the Voyager in 1999. Since then I have sailed on every Voyager-class ship, with two sailings on the Explorer. I have noticed a decline in the choices available. Until recently, lunch in the dining room offered a different menu of choices each day. On my most recent cruise, there was one menu for the entire week, with the sandwich/salad-type entrees similar to those offered at Applebees being the lunch fare. In the past, some of the lunch menu offerings were better than or equal to what one could get at dinner. This is a specific example that there has been a decline in the overall quality of the food experience on RCI. The number of choices available for dinner both in the appetizer and entree categories has narrowed, and again, ordinary dishes prevail at dinner now instead of what tended toward the gourmet. The preparation of the food hasn't changed, in my opinion, just what is offered. I prefer the dining room for lunch and dinner, so I can't comment on what's happened at the buffet. I refused to pay extra at the specialty restaurants. In 1999, the cost for the specialty restaurants was $5 and that was supposedly only for the tips. I said to myself then that the cruise lines would be headed toward charging for the better offerings in a few years. As for the price of cruise going down, I believe the cost difference between my 1999 cruise on the Voyager and my 2004 cruise on the Navigator was only $100. The cost of a 2005 cruise on a Voyager-class ship would be more than what I paid in 1999. Paying more for the cruise and getting less does not forbode well for the future.

I voted that the food has not gotten worse over the past few years. While the Dining Room entrees are not the best I've ever eaten, they were for the most part very good, and in some instances (lamb chops) delicious! I was also impressed with the breakfast, lunch and dinner offerings at Jade. They had some unusual and tasty dishes, and all were freshly prepared.

Good post lexxfield! I'm waiting to walk in the dining room and be asked "chicken or fish?" like on an airplane. While the food quality has slipped a bit, its decline is nothing compared to the lack of selection now found on the new RCCL menus.

I cruised for the first time on the Voyager in 1999. Since then I have sailed on every Voyager-class ship, with two sailings on the Explorer. I have noticed a decline in the choices available. Until recently, lunch in the dining room offered a different menu of choices each day. On my most recent cruise, there was one menu for the entire week, with the sandwich/salad-type entrees similar to those offered at Applebees being the lunch fare. In the past, some of the lunch menu offerings were better than or equal to what one could get at dinner. This is a specific example that there has been a decline in the overall quality of the food experience on RCI. The number of choices available for dinner both in the appetizer and entree categories has narrowed, and again, ordinary dishes prevail at dinner now instead of what tended toward the gourmet. The preparation of the food hasn't changed, in my opinion, just what is offered. I prefer the dining room for lunch and dinner, so I can't comment on what's happened at the buffet. I refused to pay extra at the specialty restaurants. In 1999, the cost for the specialty restaurants was $5 and that was supposedly only for the tips. I said to myself then that the cruise lines would be headed toward charging for the better offerings in a few years. As for the price of cruise going down, I believe the cost difference between my 1999 cruise on the Voyager and my 2004 cruise on the Navigator was only $100. The cost of a 2005 cruise on a Voyager-class ship would be more than what I paid in 1999. Paying more for the cruise and getting less does not forbode well for the future.

Just got off Voyager last week. The food was OK. Was it as good as my 2 previous cruises on Sovereign in '90 & '93...not even close. The price of the Voyager cruise was about the same as the '93 cruise (same category) so I'll call it a wash.

Just my personal opinion but I don't cruise for the food - it is just an added bonus. If all I wanted to do was eat gourmet food I would stay home and eat out dinner - YIKES! with all the pretty blue water, white sandy beaches, shopping and of course being waited on - not having to make my bed or do my laundry or cook my food - no way will I complain about the food.

Do you really believe that as ticket prices increase the quality of the food will start to improve again? I think not. I think most people have accepted and have become accustom to a watered down cruise expereince.

Buddy

Archived