Roll Call Jan 29, 2005

FROZEN CANNUK

We received our final boarding documents on Dec.22. We just got notice that the itinerary has changed. No port visit to San Juan due to operational reasons. anyone heard what operational reasons? Of course we have no shore excursion info concerning St. Kitts, will Cunard send something out ? As you can see I don't like not having control. What neat things are there to do at St. Kitts? I assume the QM2 will dock at St. Kitts, as the latest stops there have docked. Has anyone heard? The e-mail from Cunard says the departure has changed from 4 to 5, but on our pre-boarding info showed departure at 5pm. Is there no change or is the e-mail incorrect?

Happy New Year everyone!!!

How nice to see new people joining our group, hopefully we'll meet many more in the next few weeks. I just got my tickets today, and am looking thru the excursions they are offering. Anyone have any good thoughts they'd like to share on what's offered. Another question I have is since we are arriving the night before and can get to the Port early as we want, does anyone know what is the earliest we should arrive. I know in the book it says 2pm but I know from other ships, that I have been on as early as noon. Has anyone boarded the QM2 earlier than suggested times??

Still having a hard time getting a hotel via Priceline for the Friday precruise night, obviously a busy port on Jan 29th. Booked at Best Western just in case I don't get anything worthwill on priceline, hedging my bets!!

Well now is the time to get serious about cruising it's just too bad that I have to go back to work as well. Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and a great New Years!! All the best

Jennifer

We are pleased that we are going to St. Kitts. Have been to San Juan several times but never to St. Kitts. I looked on the Cruise Critic Ports of Call site and found some information about St. Kitts under "Caribbean-Other".

Jennifer, when we boarded the QM2 last year, they did not seem to be paying any attention to your assigned time for boarding. We were at the dock about 11:30 AM and I think our assigned time was 2 PM. When we arrived there were people everywhere. We then realized that most of them were just getting OFF the ship. (Smoochiepuddin, you might have been in that group!) However, there was still a line outside the building for those embarking. They opened the doors around noon and the line moved pretty quickly. If you are in either Queens or Princess Grill (we are not) there is a separate line. Just ask any of the Cunard representatives and they will direct you.

We were in on the ship by 1 PM. When we went to our room our luggage was there. That was a nice surprise! The Kings Court was serving lunch. We did not realize that the Kings Court was such a large area. There are four sections and each section serves different food. We stopped at the first area we saw which was the Italian section. After we had eaten, we realized there were many more choices. We then learned to walk through all four areas to see what was being offered. Many people complain about the Kings Court and it is a large area. The easiest thing for us was to find a table before getting any of our food. We always tried to find a table by a window. Then we would take turns getting our food. That eliminated the problem of trying to find a table with a tray full of food.

We have not made final decisions about any excursions. We have been to St. Martin and St. Thomas quite a few times on other cruises. Our destination on this cruise is the ship.

Beth and Jerry

Belated Happy New Year to Everyone, and I hope this is the Start of a Great Year. I posted a couple of days ago and can't find it now so not sure what happened, but want to say hello to the latest ones of our small group. Welcome and hopefully we will get a chance to meet maybe on Friday before the cruise if everyone is staying in town the night before. I still haven't got a precruise nite with priceline yet, but still trying!! Did everyone see that San Juan may not be our port but St. Kitts insteads. Just posted to the board and I'm going to talk with my TA and see what she says. Never been there, so I don't mind!

JUst got my tickets and trying to choose what excursions to do, so if anyone has suggestions, please pass them by. Not long to go now only 3 weeks, and boy I'm not ready!!

Take care and hopefully some more people find us soon.

Jennifer

Okay Okay, too early in the morning, I just realized we have a page 2 and I had to go there to find the most recent posts. Usually all the pages show at once I thought, but obviously not. I need another cuppa tea!!

Looking into St kitts now, so everyone who finds good info, let us all know

Jennifer

This is our first cruise on Cunard. We booked specifically to visit San Juan and the fact that it was also on the QM2 sealed the deal. Now we learn the San Juan stop was cancelled last month. We just got our tickets and it indicates San Juan is a stop. The Cunard web site also indicates San Juan is a stop, but I now know it's St Kitts not San Juan.

Not a happy cruiser.

Wes

Wes, if it makes you feel any better, I've been to San Juan, twice now and I'm quite happy to see the change. Unless you're into shopping and seeing the same thing over and over, there's not much to do there. I have to admit, the old buildings are nice to look at, but walking up and down those hills on cobblestone paths, are very hard on the knees. I'm a bit of a history buff, but I still wasn't all that impressed I guess. Even the excursions offered weren't impressive, unless you're into Bacardi rum, as that is the only one most people were impressed with. Hopefully you'll enjoy St. Kitts, sounds like lovely beaches and some good snorkling there.

Jennifer

Jennifer,

I know you're trying to make me feel better, but I picked this cruise for San Juan. I've never been there before and wanted to see Old San Juan. I've also never been to St. Kitts, but I live in Florida and beaches are not what I want to visit on a cruise. I would have thought Cunard would have told me they had changed the ports of call when I booked the cruise. Had I known, I would have booked on another ship. Where I go, is more important than how I get there.

I will admit, it'll be interesting to sail on the largest cruise ship in the world, but it would also have been great if the QM2 was going to where I paid to go.

Thanks for trying to make me feel better, but I'm still an unhappy camper.

Wes

Wes, are you cruising with us on January 29? If so, welcome. I can understand your disappointment in the port change if San Juan was your major reason for booking. So sorry.

Terry and Cathie, wish you were on our cruise. Have a great time on January 22.

Three weeks from today we will be enjoying our first day at sea. Hope everyone has had a good weekend.

Beth and Jerry

Mary and I would have liked San Juan, but will take the ports of call dealt us. Did I dream it, or on some other thread wasn't there a mention of a great four wheel drive tour of St. Kitts ? Only 20 days , but whose counting? Hope to see some or all of you that are on the Jan. 29th cruise. We'll be easy to spot as I will have on my Wrigley Field Cubs sports shirt on , and my wife will be dying of embarrassment. Now if I can figure out how to carry 2 suitcases, a carry-on, and two cases of Diet Coke on my shoulders without dropping anything. Here's to a great ship and lots of fun.

Dave, we will be looking for you in your Wrigley Field Cubs shirt! Now that the holidays are over, we do need to be thinking about a day and time to meet on the ship. I may have mentioned earlier that on our March cruise, we meet at 11 AM on the first day at sea. We met in the wine bar and just chatted for about an hour. It was fun to put names with faces and get to know each other. However, we are open to any suggestions. Early afternoon would also be a good time to meet. Our experience has been that evening is difficult because of different dinner seatings.

Beth and Jerry

We also had a Cruise Critic get together on our QM2 cruise and really enjoyed it. I think that your idea of meeting at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, the first at sea day, sounds good. Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar might be a good location as there usually isn't a lot going on there.

Hey Smoochiepuddin,

Thanks for taking the lead on this. It would be great to meet you.

Please post a time and place were we can all get together. Perhaps because you are a return QM2 cruiser and have convinced others to join you on this cruise you could pop for the drinks!!!!! I am sure there will be a higher turnout for this meeting if the drinks were on you!!!!

Can't wait to see you again.

John

smoochiepuddin,

Thats to bad that drinks are not in the budget.

I have to agree with you that Bud Light is a very good. However, due to some recent changes in my diet I have not had a Bud Light for over a year. Yes, I know that coming from St. Louis (Were mothers give their children Budweiser when they are teething) it is hard to believe.

Perhaps then we might settle on Todd English for dinner?

I promise that I will be on my best behavior.

If your friends get out of hand we can always put them in a life boat and cast them off.

Fang

Yes, we are on the January 29, cruise. While we like a nice ship, the most important thing is where the ship goes. Since I'm locked in to this ship I'll just have to make the best of it.

We are in our mid 60's and still in good enough shape that we don't mind walking. Since we live in Florida, beaches are not what we look for on any trip. Shopping and eating in town is not high on our list. We usually see what one is supposed to see when we visit a new place. We've been to St. Thomas and enjoyed it the first time, but after many trips he have no interest in it now. We visited St. Maarten on our first cruise in 1992 and did the two nation island tour, but we're not sure what we'll do this time. St Kitts is the only island we've not visited. Not sure what we'll do, but we might try it on our own.

Wes

We're all for meeting somewhere on the ship at wherever is convenient for all. I've always gone to RCL's meet and mingles, and always been the highlight of the trip, as I've met some great travel companions.
I've got some good news, we won't be sleeping on the beach precruise night as priceline finally accepted my bid yesterday. Got the Holiday inn on the beach for a decent price. So I'm a happy camper. Just to make you people lucky enough to live in Florida, really appreciate where you live, (and why I always cruise the Caribbean in Jan) right now we have weather warnings of wind chills up to -41 degrees celcius. -40 celcius and -40 F are the same at that temp, and man that's cold. My poor little Dacshund will never go out for a pee again all winter at this rate. Can't wait for end of Jan. Layed out clothes and realize I need to lose 30 lb be end of month!!! Hope everyone else is warm and soooo looking forward to Jan 29.
Wes, since you are a local more or less, can you tell me what is the avg temp for Fort Lauderdale for Feb as we are spending 5 days after cruise there, and not sure how warm to pack for. I know it won't be as warm as caribbean, but can you give me some hints. Thanks
Jennifer

Wes, glad you will be joining us. Where in Florida do you live?

Shall we plan to meet at the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar at 11 AM on Sunday, January 30? That bar is located on Deck 3 near the Grand Lobby and the shops. It is connected to the Chart Room. It is not a large area, so we should be able to find each other.

Does anyone else want to share first names and give a little personal information like number of cruises, occupations, children, traveling companion etc.? We are Beth and Jerry. This is our 6th cruise. We have two children and two grandchildren. Jerry is a retired engineer. We live near Nashville, TN.

We plan to start packing this weekend. We are really getting excited about this cruise and look forward to meeting everyone on the ship.

Jennifer, glad you have found a hotel room for January 28.

Jennifer,

Try this web site for your answer to the temps in Fort Lauderdale:

[url]http://uk.w3.weather.com/weather/climatology/USFL0149[/url]

We live in Sarasota County with a Venice address. Where you will be staying is way South of us on the East coast. We are on the West coast South of Tampa and North of Fort Myers. If you really want a Florida experience, rent a car and travel to Key West for a few days. Of course you may have already visited there on one of your cruises.

Wes

Here's a site with information about QM2 including programs and menus. The information is dated and the funding for the site comes from a travel related company, but it has great information and the folks on the board will answer questions.

[url]http://www.qm2reviews.com/frameset.htm[/url]

Wes

I read this in the thread mentioned in the title of this message posted by mooreh2:

When we received the email from Cunard concerning the substitution of St. Kitts for San Juan, we also wondered about the shore excursions. We called Cunard and they said to look on the Princess website for their excursions on St. Kitts and they would be very similar, since Cunard uses the same suppliers. The appropriate website is [url]http://www.princess.com/planner/shorex/shorexdisplay.jsp[/url]

After reading this post I went to the site and looked at the different tours offered. Still not sure what to see.

Wes

I just discovered that you can find a list of guest lecturers for QM2 cruises on the Cunard website. Those listed for our cruise are:

(From Cunard.com) "Carolina Garcia Guilera is the featured speaker in QM2's Caribbean Authors Series, and her Miami-based mysteries are bestsellers. Caribbean expert Zvi Dorner will speak about the ship's destinations and the history of the region. World affairs lecturer Greg Mattson served as a career officer of the US Foreign Service from 1971-1999, serving in the US Embassy in the Seychelles during the country's first two years of independence, and later served in Greece and as the senior professional diplomat in Copenhagen and Lisbon. Celebrity artist James Flood will teach the art of acrylic painting, seen in his many ship portraits displayed on board Queen Mary 2. Ann Pardo is the Canyon Ranch Spa guest speaker, illuminating issues of health and well being."

Boy I'm gone for just one day, and you guys are a wealth of information. Thanks so much for posting all those interesting sites. Wes, much appreciate the weather for Ft Lauderdale, but was very surprised to see it in Celcius!! Just FYI it is MINUS 32 degrees here this AM and I don't even want to go out of the house. Can't even imagine what the the wind chill will add. My poor birds that I feed (even have a water heater in the birdbath) are hiding out of site, and my poor dacshund has turned into a frozen pupsicle!! I can't wait for the warm caribbean sunshine but must admit, feel a little ridiculous trying on swimsuits and shorts at the moment.
Where do you guys find all those great sites, the one with the QM menus had my mouth drooling! Will definitely be doing lots of walking it off on that ship.
I checked out the St Kitt excursions on Princess and I think I'm going for the St Nevis sail away and snorkle. From the other boards I have read a lot of great reviews on this excursion. Diane I think is going for the rainforest walk. She's much more athletic than I am!!
I'm hoping Dianne will post here soon, but here is my story.
Dianne and I met thru work as we both own glass shops in Calgary area. I'm stained glass, and Diane is auto glass. This is our first cruise together, Dianne's first, my fourth. Done Tahitian Princess maiden voyage, and Brilliance and Radiance with RCL. We are both in our early 50's and single, tired of waiting for Prince Charming, so off to make our own adventures.
I've done some snorkling before and Dianne is going to give it a try also. In fact we are taking a lesson this Sunday but definitely not outside!!
We've both had one H--- of a year, so this is our reward!! We are spending an extra 5 days in Ft. Lauderdale after the cruise, since we really wanted a longer cruise. I have only sailed out of Miami once before and didn't get any time there, so really a first time for both for discovering Florida, and looking very forward to that part as well. The Keys sounds great to us, but unsure of time to get there etc, as we have prepaid for Sheraton in FL for the 5 nights. If it's easily driveable for a day, I'd love to do it. Thanks for the info Wes.
Take care all and if we're not frozen solid in the next few days, will be back.
Jennifer
Looking forward to meeting you Sunday

Archived