Just returned from Valor-Questions?

happygull

I just returned from a wonderful 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on the Valor. We did not go to Cozumel, but to Key West instead. It was a wonderful cruise. Questions about the Valor answered here :rolleyes:

Hey there! I am going on the same cruise June 7th...it's my belated honeymoon, and I am really excited to go. I mean, I am obsessively excited!

First real question:

What was it like to stop in Key West for a day when Miami is three hours up the coast. Is ther anything worthwhile to do in Key West? Was it anticlimactic to be in Florida on the penultimate day?

How were the vittles? What was the high point of your cruise and the low point? How was the weather? How was your room?

All answers appreciated as you have time! :D

Hey there! I am going on the same cruise June 7th...it's my belated honeymoon, and I am really excited to go. I mean, I am obsessively excited!

First real question:

What was it like to stop in Key West for a day when Miami is three hours up the coast. Is ther anything worthwhile to do in Key West? Was it anticlimactic to be in Florida on the penultimate day?

How were the vittles? What was the high point of your cruise and the low point? How was the weather? How was your room?

All answers appreciated as you have time! :D

I was very dissapointed to not go to Cozumel, but understand the change for safety. In Key West, we just walked around the area for several hours. We stoped for a drink at one of the many, many bars and received a "to go" squeeze bottle full of wonderful Pina Colada. Basically what we saw there were stores and bars. There are some very charming old Key style homes there to see if you are into that thing. I am sure they are also offereing some good shore excursions, but we did not use them.

We returned to the ship around 3:00 and had the deck and pool mostly to ourselves. It turned out to be a good day after all.

It was a bit anticlimactic for us since we had planned to stay in the Keys for two days after our cruise. So, we changed our ending cruise plans since we had just come from Key West. Imagine how the passengers who live in Florida felt doing Key West.

The food was great as usual. Especially in the dining room at night. And I had the pizza every night around 1:00am!!

Weather was warm, but I like it that way. DH did not appreciate the heat as much as I did. Be sure to bring a hat and sunscreen, and USE THEM!!!

Other Things we did:

Grand Cayman--swim with the stingrays and snorkle with NativeWay. Great!

Roatan-- spent the day @ Mayan Princess (rented a cab) Great!

Belize-- Xunatanich. Long bus drive, but worth it if you like history.

Have a great time

How slow is the boat going for the last day at sea since Miami is such a short distance from Miami? Is there any breeze still??

I am going June 14th.... Thanks.

Bob

Yes, there was a breeze. We had beautiful weather. Only one really windy day which was a day at sea.

How much was the cab to and from the Mayan Princess? Did the same driver wait for you or return to pick you up?

We actually rented the cab for the whole day...$80 no matter how many in the cab. He did not stay with us, but instead we agreed to meet at a certain time. After our stay in Mayan Princess, he took us to several other spots. We could go where ever we wanted, but we loved the MP so much we stayed there most of the day.

Do they have rotisserie chicken and mongolian barbecue?

I was on this superb cruise too- Mongolian yes, not sure about rotisserie.

And my 2 cents on Key West: I think it's a great port- but probably a better starting port- I mean you have the great Grand Cayman, the rustic Roatan, and the super-adventurous Belize... so to go to essentially a shopping/drinking port, as the last stop eh... BUT I had a great time there though. Hung with my kid and folks for a while (train around port, shopping) but they went back to the ship at 2 and I wandered around on a one-man pub crawl-- more fun than you'd think!

One more Key West question, where did you dock?

Thanks Bahagals-makes sense that day in port was changed to Saturday. I didn't think of it though, would have made ressies for Friday.

Thanks for all the info, we will be on this cruise next Sunday. How much did it cost at the Mayan Princess? What did it include? We were planning on the Tabayana Beach break, but haven't decided for sure yet. Do you know, did they have cabs waiting around there at all times? How long of a drive from the port is it? Ok, enough questions for ya! Thanks for any info! Glad to hear you had a good time.

Sue

I would be interested in hearing a bit more about Mayan Princess as well, we are torn between MP and Fins & Flippers. Please tell us more :)

Sue: I do know that MP is 10.00 per person for use of the facilities

We were also on this cruise and had a great time. The best part was Cave Tubing in Belize and Key West. We did not use the cruise line for any of our excursions in any port.

I am from Florida and was dissapointed having to stop in Key West at first thought, however we made the best day of it and rented bikes and drove the perimeter of the island and stopped at a few bars. It ended up being one of the highlights of the trip. I posted a full review here on Monday afternoon with pics.

If you are interested in the cavetubing let me know and I will provide you our guides contact information. He will take great care of you.

We will be taking this cruise on the Valor in early November. It will be our first time cruising. We will be w/ family & friends who have all cruised before.

We ar ealready getting very excited and the trip is still 6 months away

We also are thinking about the Mayan Princess.

Hopefully Cozumel will be back on the port list when we sail.

We were also on this cruise and had a great time. The best part was Cave Tubing in Belize and Key West. We did not use the cruise line for any of our excursions in any port.

I am from Florida and was dissapointed having to stop in Key West at first thought, however we made the best day of it and rented bikes and drove the perimeter of the island and stopped at a few bars. It ended up being one of the highlights of the trip. I posted a full review here on Monday afternoon with pics.

If you are interested in the cavetubing let me know and I will provide you our guides contact information. He will take great care of you.

I have been looking for your review and can't find it. Were you on the Valor? Were did you dock in Key West. Thanks, looking forward to reading your review.

I was very dissapointed to not go to Cozumel, but understand the change for safety. In Key West, we just walked around the area for several hours. We stoped for a drink at one of the many, many bars and received a "to go" squeeze bottle full of wonderful Pina Colada. Basically what we saw there were stores and bars. There are some very charming old Key style homes there to see if you are into that thing. I am sure they are also offereing some good shore excursions, but we did not use them.

We returned to the ship around 3:00 and had the deck and pool mostly to ourselves. It turned out to be a good day after all.

It was a bit anticlimactic for us since we had planned to stay in the Keys for two days after our cruise. So, we changed our ending cruise plans since we had just come from Key West. Imagine how the passengers who live in Florida felt doing Key West.

The food was great as usual. Especially in the dining room at night. And I had the pizza every night around 1:00am!!

Weather was warm, but I like it that way. DH did not appreciate the heat as much as I did. Be sure to bring a hat and sunscreen, and USE THEM!!!

Other Things we did:

Grand Cayman--swim with the stingrays and snorkle with NativeWay. Great!

Roatan-- spent the day @ Mayan Princess (rented a cab) Great!

Belize-- Xunatanich. Long bus drive, but worth it if you like history.

Have a great time

Which bar gave you the "to go" bottle??

We are sailing on the Valor for Thanksgiving and since everyone in our group has been to Cozumel - we are actually hoping for Key West!! I have a HUGE fear of bridges and would never drive there so I would love to cruise there!!

Archived