Bringing alcohol home

kcep02

You can bring back as much as you can carry but you may be charged a duty tax of about $1-$2 per bottle by customs. They don't prevent you from buying more than the duty-free allowance. Normally with the prices in a lot of ports and even on the ship, it's still a good deal for us to buy it in bulk and bring it home. Sometimes we pay the tax and sometimes they just waive us on through.

You can bring back as much as you can carry but you may be charged a duty tax of about $1-$2 per bottle by customs. They don't prevent you from buying more than the duty-free allowance. Normally with the prices in a lot of ports and even on the ship, it's still a good deal for us to buy it in bulk and bring it home. Sometimes we pay the tax and sometimes they just waive us on through.

I think I might bring an empty suitcase and some bubble wrap if ithat is the case.

The last two cruises we brought back 12-15 bottles each time. We were charged $26 duty on the 12 bottles and NOTHING on the 15 bottles.

Always claim it on your customs declaration. If I remember correctly, it asks for the amount spent on it not the number of bottles. Also, in some ports, having a porter help you with your bags will get you through a "good" line. ;)

Just watch out for your luggage weight the cheap booze can end up costing triple the price at home.

Lucky for us we are driving. Dreading the drive but on a postive note I can shop and purchase alot and not worry about weight limits at the air port.

We just returned last week from the Bahamas and I brought home 2 liters while my bf brought home 4. You just declare everything on your customs form and they might tax you since technically you are only allowed 1 liter per person. We never got taxed or had to show the people our alcohol. We just gave them the form, our passport, and id when we got off the ship and that was it. Customs was a breeze

Lucky for us we are driving. Dreading the drive but on a postive note I can shop and purchase alot and not worry about weight limits at the air port.

We drive to our ports too............

We buy the more expensive stuff on our cruises, since that is where the savings really pay off. Sometime we pay the extra duty, sometimes they just wave us through. Still quite a bargain from our local, state controlled liqour stores...............

We declared five liters... customs guy said 'you know you can only bring one liter each'. I said "one liter duty free, I'm willing to pay the duty" He looked at me and initialed the customs form and then started quizzing me on my three year old watch and my wedding ring. A complete jerk.

We drive to our ports too............

We buy the more expensive stuff on our cruises, since that is where the savings really pay off. Sometime we pay the extra duty, sometimes they just wave us through. Still quite a bargain from our local, state controlled liqour stores...............

That is my strategy also. The cheap stuff only saves you a few dollars per bottle. IMO that is not enough to justify the trouble of carrying, packaging, etc, that it takes to get the bottles safely home.

Now, a bottle of anejo or some great tequila at an outstanding price - completely different story.

On one cruise to St. Thomas, I carried 18 liters home with me - mostly cheap cruzan rum - and it was a huge PITA. I swore I would never do it again just for cheap booze that took a over a year to drink anyway. JMO.

A word of advice....

We were on the way home from norfolk Va. last year and decided to stop at the first rest area. There were a ton of cruise pax that used this rest stop as well. We weren't there 5 minutes when a pickup truck had a minor fire in the bed. They got it out rather quick but lost a few boxes and had alot of stuff laying in the parking lot. I had a few plastic bags stored in my explorer "just incase" and took them over to offer them. The driver had about 20 bottles that they purchased. For some crazy reason they took them out of luggage or maybe just carried them off in hands?!? Either way the sun reflected threw the bottles and caught the box on fire. So if you drive with them watch out for the sun! It can be pretty powerful!!!

Archived