Partying in South Beach Pre-Cruise

SparkysWife

We will be cruising out of Miami in Janaury 2010, flying in the day before. We would like to hit the night life in South Beach that evening, but have some questions.

1) Is South Beach the best place to go for night life?

2) Should we stay in South Beach (taking taxi from the airport, and then a taxi to the port the next day), or should we stay by the port(taking a taxi to South Beach from the near-port hotel)?

3) Is there anything else to consider?

Thank you for your advice!

1. Yes

2. Stay in south Beach and take a cab to the port

3. Nope

South beach is where all the action is, so you're better getting a cab from the airport to your hotel in SB, and then from your hotel to the port the next day.

PS. Can't think of the South beach bar right now, but there's a drink called "call a cab". Self explanatory how good and strong it is. Have one of these and you'll be straight for the night! :D

Happy sailing!!!! :)

Thanks, I belive that's the name of the bar that has the call a cab drink.

Actually I think the place that has Call a Cab is Wet Willies. I plan on having a few of them there next Sat

Actually I think the place that has Call a Cab is Wet Willies. I plan on having a few of them there next Sat

Wet Willies and Fat Tuesdays both have A Call A Cab but I think it is 190 Octane at FT.

The easiest way to get in a club in South Beach is to go early.

Mansion, Mynt, Opium Prive, BED, Sky Bar, etc are all very expensive. Cover can run up to $50pp and you have to use bottle service if you want to sit down. Bottle service will set you back $250-$500 not including automatic gratuity.

The nightclub scene doesn't start until well after midnight and most nightclubs don't open until 10PM. There are bars in South Beach that do not open until 4AM as in 4AM in the morning.

I will not even start in on the velvet rope thing.

My favorite thing to do is pool bar hop for happy hour. Start at the Delano pool bar and hit The Shore Club and The Setai.

Head back to your hotel around 7PM for a siesta, wake up, head out to dinner (not before 9PM) and then hit Club Deuce. It is cheap and it is local.

If you want to hit the nightclub scene, ask the concierge where to go on that particular night. Again, go early (10PM to 11PM) and there will not be a line or a cover.

If you give me some specifics, like what day you will be in South Beach, ages, male/female ratio, etc I can head you in the right direction.

• 1 month later...

Hi BlueHerons - thanks for your excellent advice. I wanted to chime in and ask you a few questions. My group is a group of 5 people (myself and my bf, a married couple and 1 single woman) who will be coming back to Miami post-cruise on July 23rd (Thursday night). We'll be celebrating my boyfriend's 25th birthday that day and we need ideas on what to do for the entire day (our cruise returns at 8 am on the 23rd and our flight leaves from FLL next day at 6 pm, the 24th) as well as that night.

We definitely want to do the club scene as well as tour Miami. The best hotel we've found in our price range is the Holiday Inn Downtown ($55 advance purchase). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Oops I meant to say the Hilton Miami Downtown is what we've found ($55 for 1 night).

If you want to party in South Beach, you do not want to stay in downtown Miami.

You should be able to find very reasonably priced hotels in South Beach over your dates.

Try: Doubletree Surfcomber, The Marseilles, The South Seas, Courtyard Marriott (make sure South Beach and not Miami Beach), Essex House, The Penguin.

For a true party, stay at The Clevelander. It would be the perfect place to celebrate a 25th birthday. However it is loud and rowdy but they've completely redone the hotel and the rooms are now sound proof.

As far as partying, South Beach can be a party 24/7.

I would suggest the beach by day, and hit the pool bar that afternoon. If you don't stay at the Clevelander, still hit their pool bar that afternoon.

Head in for a siesta around 7PM, sleep off your cocktails, and head back out that night.

I like the idea of starting out at Club Deuce then dinner. For inexpensive Cuban, try Davids or Puerto Saga, Tap Tap for Haitian, or News Cafe or Big Pink for American.

I cannot remember which bars are hopping on Thursday night but the front desk of your hotel will know. Try and get free passes.

The link in my link to Miami Beach 411 might have the happening nights listed for the clubs.

Dress the part or you will not get in.

Absolutely NO SHORTS on men anywhere after 5PM. Seriously they will not get in. Khakis are a bad idea. I would suggest casual linen pants and flip flops or cool jeans and flip flops for the guys along with a cool tee shirt and dressy for women.

We will be cruising out of Miami in Janaury 2010, flying in the day before. We would like to hit the night life in South Beach that evening, but have some questions.

1) Is South Beach the best place to go for night life?

2) Should we stay in South Beach (taking taxi from the airport, and then a taxi to the port the next day), or should we stay by the port(taking a taxi to South Beach from the near-port hotel)?

3) Is there anything else to consider?

Thank you for your advice!

Flying in Jan 15th, hotel in South Beach 2nd & Washington, Carnival Liberty on the 16th. There are 4 of us and were trying out a hostel... A lot of good info in these posts!

Archived