Carnival Triumph vs. Carnival Fantasy

Hey everyone out there!

Planning a cruise for March to celebrate another anniversary! We have two options....the Triumph out of New Orleans or the Fantasy out of Mobile. We chose these ports because they are closest to us (hubby doesn't fly). I am trying to decide between the two....our last cruise was out of New Orleans, but it was on the Sensation. I am wanting anyones opinions that have been on these other two ships. How do they compare. The Triumph we can get a whole lot better price on, but they do not have the balcony suites like the Fantasy (we had this room previously and loved it!). The price difference is substantial....the Triumph is just a regular balcony room. Anyone have some opinions? Thanks so much for any and all input!

Happy Cruisin' Everyone

Hey everyone out there!

Planning a cruise for March to celebrate another anniversary! We have two options....the Triumph out of New Orleans or the Fantasy out of Mobile. We chose these ports because they are closest to us (hubby doesn't fly). I am trying to decide between the two....our last cruise was out of New Orleans' date=' but it was on the Sensation. I am wanting anyones opinions that have been on these other two ships. How do they compare. The Triumph we can get a whole lot better price on, but they do not have the balcony suites like the Fantasy (we had this room previously and loved it!). The price difference is substantial....the Triumph is just a regular balcony room. Anyone have some opinions? Thanks so much for any and all input!

Happy Cruisin' Everyone[/quote']

Ok, first, Fantasy is the same class as Sensation so layout of ship is the same. Triumph is larger and has more balconies. Now about balcony suites... ALL suites have balconies... There are 2 cat. 11's lido deck but most suites are on Empress. If you can get Triumph cheaper I would go with it... will be on the Triumph in 19 days and will let you know... have a balcony on Lido deck.

Hey everyone out there!

Planning a cruise for March to celebrate another anniversary! We have two options....the Triumph out of New Orleans or the Fantasy out of Mobile. We chose these ports because they are closest to us (hubby doesn't fly). I am trying to decide between the two....our last cruise was out of New Orleans' date=' but it was on the Sensation. I am wanting anyones opinions that have been on these other two ships. How do they compare. The Triumph we can get a whole lot better price on, but they do not have the balcony suites like the Fantasy (we had this room previously and loved it!). The price difference is substantial....the Triumph is just a regular balcony room. Anyone have some opinions? Thanks so much for any and all input!

Happy Cruisin' Everyone[/quote']

The corner wraps on the decks above the promenade deck are the most sought after cabins on this type of vessel. They have large balconies - and most people say they are better than the suites.

Yeah, my TA said that the Triumph is a "regular" balcony room. She said it is a new ship too. But,the Fantasy has the balcony "suites" which I assume have more room and bathtubs. But I just don't know if it is worth the extra money. The hubby is a tad bit claustrophobic, so the extra space we had on the Sensation was really nice (we were a Cat. 11 on the Verandah deck...it was awesome. But again, I am looking at a $200 difference per ticket by going with the regular balcony room.

We are trying to decide the same thing. We can't do 2 suites on Fantasy so we'd have to do OV. But we could do 2 regular balconies on Triumph for not a lot more then 2 OVs on Fantasy.

Our situation is different since the kids will be along and Fantasy has the waterworks, triumph doesn't. UGH

If you want a suite with a balacony, you can get one on Triumph. The only difference is Fantasy ONLY has suite rooms with balconies so if you want a balcony you have to book a suite. Triumph has regular balconies and Suite balconies. You just have to book a category 11 or 12, just like on Fantasy. So compare your rate for an 11/12 on Fantasy to an 11/12 on Triumph and see which comes out better.

We haven't sailed "Fantasy" in a long time but we did indeed, sail "Triumph" just a couple of months ago. It was a GREAT cruise, and I'd not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Needless to say, "Triumph" is considerably newer, and larger than "Fantasy". I, personally would choose "Triumph" in a heart beat. The lower fare makes it even more desirable!

Ken

"SKY"

A regular balcony cabin on the Triumph has about the same layout as a cat 11's on Fantasy, and it's just a little smaller (love-seat instead of a full sofa and shower in the bath.) All you'll gain in the suite is a fridge, bath-tub and maybe slightly nicer decor (since Fantasy has renovated cabins and the suites have a bit more marble). Fantasy has a longer waterslide and the spray park if you have smaller children, but otherwise Triumph is bigger with a few more public rooms. If it's cheaper I'd do the Triumph, spend the money in the spa instead.

Hey,

Thanks so much for all of your replies....I think I have been swayed to go ahead and book the Triumph. The majority of reviews I have read have been positive (and I am a firm believer a cruise is what you make of it), and it doesn't sound like the room size is all that much different. I can do without a fridge and tub. It is just the DH and me, so no need for the Fantasy's waterslide (I think I am more interested in the outdoor movie screen on the Triumph). So, again, thank you for all of your great replies...they helped ALOT!

we also read many post regarding the Triumph..yet when we sail d i did nt

encounter any of them..even the dreaded smell everyone was talking about..

from the moment we boarded her..our experience just got better as

the hrs. then days past..then all of sudden it was over :(

Hey' date='

Thanks so much for all of your replies....I think I have been swayed to go ahead and book the Triumph. The majority of reviews I have read have been positive (and I am a firm believer a cruise is what you make of it), and it doesn't sound like the room size is all that much different. I can do without a fridge and tub. It is just the DH and me, so no need for the Fantasy's waterslide (I think I am more interested in the outdoor movie screen on the Triumph). So, again, thank you for all of your great replies...they helped ALOT![/quote']

The Triumph has a larger slide, more balconies, larger ship... are you sure you are looking at right one... You keep saying things that make me wonder... Fantasy is an older, smaller ship compared to Triumph.

LOVE,LOVE,LOVE the Triumph....... have had two wonderful cruises on her! The service was great, food was great..... loved everything... We had an extended balcony room, ok maybe not a suite but we sure loved it!!!!!! Would book again in a minute...

Here's a couple pics of our room and balcony

DSCF0756.jpg.50afde001fa01fe93ae3bc5d0c8735a4.jpg

DSCF0759.jpg.4aae79e6215a4121ee5aab510ab6566b.jpg

DSCF1020.jpg.76ab8be7167d8ac930a1860d7dc0f2d9.jpg

DSCF1526.jpg.03a105830d1a88b0bb203b98468de44c.jpg

The Triumph has a larger slide, more balconies, larger ship... are you sure you are looking at right one... You keep saying things that make me wonder... Fantasy is an older, smaller ship compared to Triumph.

I think she's saying that the regular balcony on Triumph isn't much smaller than a suite balcony on Fantasy and she doesn't need the waterworks addition on the Fantasy since no kids are going. She'd rather have the big screen on Triumph.

I think she's saying that the regular balcony on Triumph isn't much smaller than a suite balcony on Fantasy and she doesn't need the waterworks addition on the Fantasy since no kids are going. She'd rather have the big screen on Triumph.

I've been in a cat.11 on a Fantasy class ship and it's not much bigger plus the balcony on a cat.11 is TINY.. but I still love the location.

You have to watch the location on the cat 11's really closely, some are obstructed. Also the ones in the front have very little privacy because the stairs from the open deck in the front of that deck goes right down in front of the balconies. Also, the gym is right over the rooms towards the front, I was in one once right under the free weights. VERY NOISY

The Fantasy has been renovated and it has a much bigger slide than the Triumph.

see next post it wouldn't work.

Carnival Fantasy

86791916.xWqoErSq.jpg

Carnival Triumph

But it doesn't matter anyways becuase she doesn't care about the slides.

Edited by spencercoop

Yeah' date=' my TA said that the Triumph is a "regular" balcony room. She said it is a new ship too. But,the Fantasy has the balcony "suites" which I assume have more room and bathtubs. But I just don't know if it is worth the extra money. The hubby is a tad bit claustrophobic, so the extra space we had on the Sensation was really nice (we were a Cat. 11 on the Verandah deck...it was awesome. But again, I am looking at a $200 difference per ticket by going with the regular balcony room.[/quote']

First and foremost, the Triumph will be the nicer of the 2 ships, also the newer (not new, good amount of mileage on it already :p) of the 2.

The whole cabin thing is where i see your stuck. I think you need to get the term "suite" away from your vocabulary for a while. The category 11 "suites" on the Fantasy will be pretty much the equivalent of a regular balcony cabin on the Triumph size wise (regular balcony cabin on Triumph will have a bit deeper balcony also). If you were to get a Category 11 "suite" on the Triumph you would notice a huge difference in size, they are quite a bit bigger and just plain nicer.

So, bottom line is, on the Fantasy class ships, the category 11 "suites" may have that "suite" name attached to them, but they really are only regular balcony sized cabins with really small balconies :p

I say, go for the Triumph in a regular balcony cabin.

Happy Cruising!

I have been on both ships. I typically book a Cat. 11 on all ships except Fantasy Class ships (which the Fantasy is) and on that class - I book a Cat. 12 penthouse. If you are able to book a Cat. 12 on the Fantasy - that is what I would go for. The Cat. 11 on Fantasy is DEFINITELY not worth the money. Triumph is "newer" yes; but I found on the Triumph and Victory (cannot remember what "class" these ships are, off hand) all you end up with is more people and the same space common areas. On the Triumph - I waited in lines for EVERYTHING! I didn't feel the same "crowdedness" on the Fantasy. Especially now that the Fantasy has been in dry dock - I'd say GO FOR HER. Good Luck. Chick.

Yeah' date=' my TA said that the Triumph is a "regular" balcony room. She said it is a new ship too. But,the Fantasy has the balcony "suites" which I assume have more room and bathtubs. But I just don't know if it is worth the extra money. The hubby is a tad bit claustrophobic, so the extra space we had on the Sensation was really nice (we were a Cat. 11 on the Verandah deck...it was awesome. But again, I am looking at a $200 difference per ticket by going with the regular balcony room.[/quote']

We had a balcony room (7354) on the Triumph last month and had a wonderful time! The Triumph isn't new though, it"s maybe 10 years old or so but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it...we had a fantastic time and it was a great ship! We had no problem with the size of the balcony and we had 5 in our room, but it was also our first balcony and had nothing to compare it too.

Our first cruise will be on Triumph in March. DH wanted a balcony, so we are booked in 6432. Its on the port, aft side. Smaller room, bigger balcony. Similar to the pics Wintercruiser posted. Identical lay out! Id say go on Triumph and get a big balcony! But since Im a newbie, I have nothing to compare it to just yet!

All I can say is "wow" guys and thanks for all the tips ( and the pics of the slide were awesome). However, me and hubby are more sunbathers (oh lets face it, we like to nap out on the decks) rather than watersliders (it would be different if the kids were along). So, our biggest decision has been the ship and the room. I love having breakfast out on the balcony to start my day, and everything I have read, I believe that the Triumph's balcony room is our best option (like someone said....I have to stop thinking in terms of "room" and "suite"). I have researched the room size and I think it is plenty big for just the hubby and me.....and besides, we will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, so we don't mind being close to each other in the room (hahaha!). So again, thanks for all the input....going in today to my TA to put down my deposit and get our wonderful trip booked!!! Will now be counting down the days to March 1st! Whoohooo!

Yay glad you are all set for your romantic anniversary cruise. Hope you have a great time.

Dh and I sat down last night and decided the opposite. We are going to go with Fantasy since the kids are going. We'll get 2 or 3 OV rooms and save Triumph for our next cruise alone. I think the kids will have more fun on Fantasy and it's about $900 less total to get OVs on Fantasy then Balcony on Triumph. That will pay for an awesome excursion for everyone.

• 7 years later...

Can I resurrect this zombie? Since (I think) these 2 ships will be cruising next year from NOLA and Mobile, I'm comparing the 2. The NOLA (Triumph) trip, for us, will be $250 extra over the Mobile (Fantasy). Is it worth it? We're coming from the northern Midwest, so the drive will be basically the same.

OMG this freaked me out so bad seeing my old posts I was like WTH? lol As it turned out the kids decided to take a camping trip with my parents instead and Dh and I took Fantasy in a Grand suite room. Loved it.

But things have a way of coming back around and next month 3 out of 4 kids and I are booked into a Lido balcony on Triumph. Funny how that worked out.

Fantasy got the 2.0 upgrades like Triumph so both have Guys burgers etc now. But you have more balconies available on Triumph. You also have different levels of suites so you can pick whatever room fits your budget best. You can do a standard balcony room, Junior suite, ocean suite, standard suite and on up. Where on Fantasy you basically have the jump from OV to a Suite if you want a balcony.

I know there were rumors they were going to add balconies to some of the standard rooms on the Fantasy class ships but don't think they ever did. Or if they did I missed it. Of course that's based on if you want a balcony, if you want inside or OV then it doesn't really matter.

I can't compare the 2 yet and I really liked Fantasy 7 years ago and want to sail on her again now that she's been redone but if I had to pick again sight unseen I'd probably go with Triumph based on a wider choice of rooms and just having a little more room on board, plus I love porting out of NO.

Edited by poobears

Thanks. We'll just be doing an interior room on either one, so that's not a deciding factor for us.

I think (?) the Triumph has 4 water slides and 3 pools and Fantasy has 3 water slides and 1 pool. With 3 kids, this might be a deciding factor. I guess the Triumph is newer (?), but the Fantasy was remodeled this year (?).

Anyone has more information, I'd love to hear it. My personal research is sorely lacking.