Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

There are 2 restaurants in Tampa that are must trys.

The Columbia in Ybor City http://www.columbiarestaurant.com They've been at it for over a hundred years. See the Flamenco show.

Berns Steakhouse. One of a kind. http://www.bernsteakhouse.com A relative newcome at it for only 50 years.

Both are convenient to Downtown.

I am going crazy reading all these posts.

We are 2 women traveling together age 61 and we are cousins.. We are going on a Cruise in Sept on the Legend.. We need to find a place that is safe and would like to go into the mall or other shopping areas, and also find a nice place to have dinner. We are also looking to find a hotel that has a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and to the port and from the port to the airport. Also we would like to go to the aquarium on return to the port after the cruise. What would we do with our luggage.

Please help .............

I am going crazy reading all these posts.

We are 2 women traveling together age 61 and we are cousins.. We are going on a Cruise in Sept on the Legend.. We need to find a place that is safe and would like to go into the mall or other shopping areas, and also find a nice place to have dinner. We are also looking to find a hotel that has a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and to the port and from the port to the airport. Also we would like to go to the aquarium on return to the port after the cruise. What would we do with our luggage.

Please help .............

The Renaissance is attached to International Mall and is very close to the airport so I'm guessing they would have a shuttle. Don't know about getting to the pier though. Plenty of restaurants to choose from. The Intercontinental is just across the street from Westshore Mall, you'd have to see what their website says about a shuttle. But really any hotel in the Westshore area will be fine.

Won't we all be glad when the search abilities are back on track? I'm wondering if anyone out there has a comparison of the Embassy suites at Westshore and the Embassy Suites Downtown? There is a big difference in price and I have read some posts indicating that the Westshore location may be worn with outdated furniture, etc. But those prices sure look better!! I also have looked at the Doubletree Guest Suites and Marriott Waterside.

We'll be on the Legend on June 1st celebrating our 25th Anniversary, so we want to start the trip off right!

Thanks for any input.

Won't we all be glad when the search abilities are back on track? I'm wondering if anyone out there has a comparison of the Embassy suites at Westshore and the Embassy Suites Downtown? There is a big difference in price and I have read some posts indicating that the Westshore location may be worn with outdated furniture, etc. But those prices sure look better!! I also have looked at the Doubletree Guest Suites and Marriott Waterside.

We'll be on the Legend on June 1st celebrating our 25th Anniversary, so we want to start the trip off right!

Thanks for any input.

Ain't that the truth! I even tried using the Google way to search this site but it didn't help much within this thread. I ended up reading everything anyway. Ugh!

caribbean crazy - The Embassy Suites downtown by the Convention Center is brand new. Very nice. Excellent location for cruisers, since it's just down the street (west of) the cruise terminals. It's right next door to the street car terminal giving easy access to the Channelside complex and Ybor City.

The Embassy Suites Westshore is further away from the port, like 6 miles or so. It has been there a long while. The building was there when I went to work at the building right across the street in 1991. Embassy Suites tends to operate decent places, so I wouldn't expect it to be a worn out dump. Some folks who write reviews will condemn a place bad if it doesn't look brand new (including cruise ships). The Westshore location is in a decent and clean area. It's directly across the street from the Westshore Plaza Mall. There are nice places to eat in front of the mall, all within easy walking distance. This one is closer to the airport.

It just depends on the money you want to spend...(doesn't it always?)

LINANRIC - I agree with Signman. Also, see above. You may just have t pay a taxi to get around town. There are not many places that will do everything for you for free. It's $22 from the airport to the cruise terminals.

ronrythm - Those are great places that Signman mentioned. They are both uniquely Tampa. Every taxi driver in Tampa knows where they are. Bern's costs more than the Columbia. Both are great. Another nice place, on Kennedy Blvd just W. of downtown and the University of Tampa (not too far from the Courtyard and Residence Inn, across the Hillsborough River on Kennedy) is the Valencia Garden Restaurant. Very nice, Spanish cuisine. The have the best Paella in Tampa. I could write the rest of the evening about eating places in Tampa, of almost any type you can imagine (except Sushi - I prefer my fish cooked :) ).

luvmytbear - I'd suggest the Chase Suites. NOTE: Call them on the phone to make your reservations. Tell them specifically (DO NOT ASSUME) that you want the package including transport to the cruise terminal. I've read where some folks have messed up and not communicated this clearly, and have been left using a taxi. The rooms at Chase Suites are large. Folks with my company have stayed there on business, some for extended periods. As I recall, this was once a Residence Inn by Marriott. There is a decent place to eat right next door. This location is to the W of the Tampa International Airport, by about 3-4 miles. The cruise terminals are E and somewhat S of the airport, on the SE corner of the downtown core, about 8-9 miles from the airport. Taxi from Chase Suites to the cruise terminal could be $25-$30. Hopefully, you can get the transport deal at Chase. I know about the Double Tree at Rocky Point, where it its, and what it looks like, but I haven't stayed there and I don't recall anyone writing about it. They are usually nice hotels, and the one at Rocky Point looks good.

Eating, etc., at Rocky Point - Bahama Breeze (located between Chase Suites and Holiday Inn Express/Hampton Inn), Landry's Seafood, Rusty Pelican, Crabby Bill's, and The Castaways. There is no fast food. There are no stores, and no liquor stores. The Rocky Point area is hotels, office buildings, and some restaurants. That's all. It's quiet and clean out there. If your room faces the W or S, you can have nice views.

Y'all have fun. :)

Ken

We just got off the Legend Sunday. We were able to have our luggage sent directly to the airport and didn't have to handle it until we reached our final destination. They charge $15/person and is only for certain airlines. It was well worth the $15/person

Ken,

Thank you so much for your reply. Of course, you are right. It always comes down to how much you want to spend, and one can become quite obsessive going through these boards trying to find the ultimate hotel and ultimate value.:confused: I may call Embassy Suites Downtown directly. That is the one I prefer. Embassy Suites Westshore includes parking in their garage for the duration of the cruise. I have not seen that advertised at the Downtown location. Are there any negatives you can think of regarding leaving a car in the ES Westshore location instead of parking at the port?

And you are oh so right about eating your fish cooked. My father was a marine biologist - grew up in the Pensacola area - ate loads of fresh seafood - never tasted sushi - he pretty much ruined the thought of eating raw oysters as well with all the info he so kindly imparted. But I have to admit, I don't hear of too many problems for those of you who enjoy it, so keep enjoying!

Can't wait to see your port in Tampa - hear a lot of good things about it!

Norski posted this message: We just got off the Legend Sunday. We were able to have our luggage sent directly to the airport and didn't have to handle it until we reached our final destination. They charge $15/person and is only for certain airlines. It was well worth the $15/person

Ms Simba asks:

Do I get this right?

You got off the Legend and the ship sent the luggage to the airlines who forwarded it to your hotel.

luvmytbear - I'd suggest the Chase Suites. NOTE: Call them on the phone to make your reservations. Tell them specifically (DO NOT ASSUME) that you want the package including transport to the cruise terminal. I've read where some folks have messed up and not communicated this clearly, and have been left using a taxi. The rooms at Chase Suites are large. Folks with my company have stayed there on business, some for extended periods. As I recall, this was once a Residence Inn by Marriott. There is a decent place to eat right next door. This location is to the W of the Tampa International Airport, by about 3-4 miles. The cruise terminals are E and somewhat S of the airport, on the SE corner of the downtown core, about 8-9 miles from the airport. Taxi from Chase Suites to the cruise terminal could be $25-$30. Hopefully, you can get the transport deal at Chase. I know about the Double Tree at Rocky Point, where it its, and what it looks like, but I haven't stayed there and I don't recall anyone writing about it. They are usually nice hotels, and the one at Rocky Point looks good.

Ken

Just got off the phone with Chase and secured our ship to shore package! We got a room for 5 including transport from the airport and to the pier for $249.

Just a heads up for those looking to book hotel and air to Tampa between January 27 and February 2. The Super Bowl is in Tampa at this time. The lady on the phone at Chase said they're already booked solid. Moral of the story: If you're cruising between these dates, get booking ASAP! :)

Can anyone recommend which hotel would be a better choice for us ?

2 adults 4 kids ...looking at either The Doubletree Rocky Point or The Holiday Inn Rocky point...

Doubletree is a liittle more money but comes with shuttle to port in the package..

Is there anything near the hotels as far as restaurants, shops etc..

Thanks....Rob and Eva

caribbean crazy - The ES on Westshore has that parking garage there. If it's secured, I'd have no problem with it. I think it is secured, be sure to ask. If you go to my Flickr photo album page and go to the Tampa album, you can find some pics of the ES on Westshore, as well as the area of the ES downtown. These pics were taken before ground was broken for the ES downtown. The pics of the street car station, Tampa Convention Center and the Marriott Waterside will give you an idea of the area. I don't know if you can leave your car behind downtown.

Ken

Thanks for any input.

We are holding a reservation at Embassy Suites Westshore for $129 and we understand that our car can stay parked there during the time we are on our cruise. Would like to get an idea as to how far the port is to this hotel and what a taxi should cost us. I have actually stayed at this Hotel before just a few months ago on a business trip and I know it's a nice hotel and place to stay! A big thank you goes out to Cracker Ken for all the hard work he puts into answering questions on this board, he's everyone's man in Tampa and we'd like to know we appreciate him!

Roll on December!:D

Well, I jumped in and just did it. I booked the Hyatt Tampa Downtown for me and my mom. Since mom is a very young senior citizen, I was able to book the AARP rate and it came back with $151.20. I think that's a pretty decent rate and it's close to the port.

Thanks again to all who helped. After my cruise, I'll be sure to come back here and post a review of the hotel and the surrounding area for everyone else who was in the same boat as me.

Well, I jumped in and just did it. I booked the Hyatt Tampa Downtown for me and my mom. Since mom is a very young senior citizen, I was able to book the AARP rate and it came back with $151.20. I think that's a pretty decent rate and it's close to the port.

Thanks again to all who helped. After my cruise, I'll be sure to come back here and post a review of the hotel and the surrounding area for everyone else who was in the same boat as me.

Sounds good. I hope you have a great visit to Tampa.

We are flying Alliegent Air into St. Pete's - I have booked Embassy Suites at the TPA airport. Would Chase Suites be closer? Since we will be taking a taxi I am wondering which is easier or closer. Thanks in advance

If you're considering Chase, call them and ask about their Ship to Shore package. It includes a shuttle from the airport (TPA) to the hotel, and from the hotel to the pier. We have 5 people traveling and saved some money in cab fare using their package.

We just got off the Legend Sunday. We were able to have our luggage sent directly to the airport and didn't have to handle it until we reached our final destination. They charge $15/person and is only for certain airlines. It was well worth the $15/person

Did you do this through the cruise line or airline?