Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

We haven't been to Tampa yet, but I just don't like Days Inn hotels. I have stayed at them twice in CA for conferences, and both were scuzzy. I am sure there are nice Days Inn's somewhere, but I am not willing to try again.

The Radisson Bay Harbor has a park & cruise package. Other hotels listed on this thread have Park & Cruise. I don't know about the Howard Johnson, but you might have to do a little a little research and reading on your own. :)

For hotels with parking, I recommend you try parksleepfly.com. Tampa cruise terminal is close enough to the airport where you can use the parking package for cruising as well.

If you are interested in a particular hotel, call the hotel directly and ask what they recommend to park your car (if they would allow you to park in their lot). However, most Downtown hotels would charge fees or daily rates.

To check on hotels, you can read reviews at tripadvisor.com.

The jet skis are rented from in front of Bahama Breeze. I haven't paid attention to that location recently, lots of road construction over there. I know they were going to build a new hotel over there, but I'm not sure if that is happening. Since you have your vehicles, 5 minutes away on Kennedy Blvd are liquer stores, supermarkets, and every kind of restaurant you can think of. The Sailport is an older but nice place. Its not fancy but nice views and clean. Dont sweat it, its fine. The Days in near Ybor, as we used to say in Brooklyn "fogetaboudit"!!!!:eek: In Ybor go to either the Hampton Inn or The Hilton Garden Inn. Both very nice with secure parking. Sorry, I don't know the rates. As to Ybor, its only a problem late at night when the bars close. Lots of restaurants(good ones), Greek Trattoria, movies, comedy club and cigar bars. Geese, my fingers are getting tired. Let me know if you need more info.

Mark

Here's a secret!! Park in the enclosed parking lot at the Amtrak station. Its gated, barbed wired and fenced in. Of course its for Amtrak passengers only:D

of course no one checks the cars. Take a cab to the pier, its only 5 minutes away. the area near the station isn't the best, but your car is safe and your not walking around the neighborhood! Perhaps you will see the train pull in and you will remember Amtrak for your next trip.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions (here and the other thread I started before I found this one). I don't think we will be staying at the Days Inn, but I don't know what my father has decided to do.

After some more digging, I have found a page that tells me several hotels with cruise packages that include parking. I work through some of those.

tourlink99- I can't find information for parking fees at the Amtrak station. Do you know a ballpark figure per day?

Thanks again.

Ok I need help,I'm so confused.We will cruising Thanksgiving week.It will be myself ,DH.DS18 and DD14.We will be getting in around 11:00 and will need to drop off luggage early.We are thinking to going to the big Cat Place for the afternoon.I'd like to pay around 100.00 and a free breakfast would be nice.I was looking at La Quinta Inn Brandon,Hampton Inn Ybor city Downtown or Quorum Westshore.Would any of these be a good choice or does any one have a better choice Any help would be appreciated Thanks

I copied this off my roll call if anyone is interested in a good room rate.

Also....heads up for anyone that hasn't made their final plans for pre-cruise hotel..... There was a discount code posted on another thread that I saw for 25% off at LaQuinta hotels. There's a LaQuinta in Tampa that the rate for 9/6 (with the code USTBLE) is $66.75. They do offer free airport transportation. They also offer transportation to the cruise terminal for $10 per person. If you need to be returned to the airport after the cruise they'll do that as well for $10 per person. SO.....$66.75 for the room, plus $20pp roundtrip isn't a bad deal at all!

For us it won't work because we have gift cheques that will pay for our pre-cruise hotel. I thought I'd pass along this savings to everyone. Hopefully it'll help someone!

Ok I'm confused as well. We have never been to the Tampa area. We are cruising on 12/11. Planning on arriving 12/9. We are flying and won't have a car. We would like an area we can have a choice of places to eat, and maybe walk around and enjoy the evening. We are 3 ladies meeting up for our annual cruise, so we need something safe and would like to know we have something to do the 2 evenings in Tampa. It would be nice to be in an area with easy commute to the Inspiration. It must be a clean hotel, shuttles would also be nice. Oh yeah, we don't want to break the bank :D Am I asking too much? We were consdering the Holiday Inn Rocky Point. Just not sure about location. What is there to do in the area? Suggestions please.

Thanks for any help.

JoAnn

There is supposed to be a new BW airport inn/suites. Any views on it?? What about Quality Inn midtown (on S.Dale Mabry)? Can't seem to find anything much under $100 for Jan.09.

What's a taxi or shuttle fee from that area to port (2 people)? any advice?

Is it too much trouble to stay near airport and then take bus into town for sight-seeing, dinner? Can you do a streetcar tour?? Any info would be great.

Thanks.

I haven't followd this thread for a while since our hotel was booked and we were all set. Our airline changed its flights and now we will need supper when we arrive. We are 3 adults and 3 kids, so we are looking for something cheap and quick within walking distance of HI Rocky Pointe. Any suggestions?

This looks like a very interesting thread. However, I am a slow reader and it will take me too long to read this entire thread. If someone can help me out, I am looking for a hotel ( not too expensive) for one night, that is not too far from the pier and airport. However, I will not be renting a car and I am hoping there is something close by (tourist sights). I know the information is already in this thread but I will never finish reading it.

Thanks

Dorene

Ok I'm confused as well. We have never been to the Tampa area. We are cruising on 12/11. Planning on arriving 12/9. We are flying and won't have a car. We would like an area we can have a choice of places to eat, and maybe walk around and enjoy the evening. We are 3 ladies meeting up for our annual cruise, so we need something safe and would like to know we have something to do the 2 evenings in Tampa. It would be nice to be in an area with easy commute to the Inspiration. It must be a clean hotel, shuttles would also be nice. Oh yeah, we don't want to break the bank :D Am I asking too much? We were consdering the Holiday Inn Rocky Point. Just not sure about location. What is there to do in the area? Suggestions please.

Thanks for any help.

JoAnn

Here is a review of the Sailport Resort at Rocky Point. I don't know why more people don't talk about it - it's a steal at $79 in Sept. Got the review off of Trip Advisor.

“Loved It!”

Sailport Resort

saveReview.gif

no_user_photo.gif

s5.0.gif

MRudman

Joliet IL

Jul 25, 2008

After we reserved the room, I read some not very good reviews on the internet. But as soon as we landed in Tampa I was very happy with everything. The shuttle picked us up from the airport (free of cost) in about 5 min. We got to our room and it was so much better than what I had read! We had a 1 bedroom suite and it had a fully furnished kitchen! Every dish you could ever need microwave and even a dishwasher! The balcony overlooked the Bay with a great view of the sunset! It was amazing! Everyone who worked there was very nice, the shuttle would drive us around (again free of cost) within a certain distance. We went to the mall, stores, and most important restraurants/ bars! They also had a tennis court & fishing right there on the property. I would love to stay there again and I will tell everyone about the Sailport Resort and I cant wait to go back!

Rocky Point is a very nice area right on Tampa Bay with nice views. There are a few nice restaurants right in the area including Landry's, Rusty Pelican, Bahama Breeze and the great restaurants at the Hyatt Grande, Oystercatchers and Armanis. but you are also within 20-25 minutes driving time to Channelside, the nightspots in Soho and Ybor City. All the Rocky Point Hotels are more then acceptable. The Sailport is cheaper and a little older. The rooms are being refurbished as we speak and they provide free airport transfers. Taxis to the pier will be around $20-$25. If you want to be a little closer to downtown check out the Sheraton Suites on Cypress St. Its a really nice hotel with beautiful Suites and sometimes you can get a good deal there.

Ask away if you have more questions.

Mark

Here is a review of the Sailport Resort at Rocky Point. I don't know why more people don't talk about it - it's a steal at $79 in Sept. Got the review off of Trip Advisor.

“Loved It!”

Sailport Resort

saveReview.gif

no_user_photo.gif

s5.0.gif

MRudman

Joliet IL

Jul 25, 2008

After we reserved the room, I read some not very good reviews on the internet. But as soon as we landed in Tampa I was very happy with everything. The shuttle picked us up from the airport (free of cost) in about 5 min. We got to our room and it was so much better than what I had read! We had a 1 bedroom suite and it had a fully furnished kitchen! Every dish you could ever need microwave and even a dishwasher! The balcony overlooked the Bay with a great view of the sunset! It was amazing! Everyone who worked there was very nice, the shuttle would drive us around (again free of cost) within a certain distance. We went to the mall, stores, and most important restraurants/ bars! They also had a tennis court & fishing right there on the property. I would love to stay there again and I will tell everyone about the Sailport Resort and I cant wait to go back!

Thank you very much for this review! I'll be there in January and was concerned about the bad reviews too. When they drive you to the store do you tell them when you want to be picked up again or do they just wait?

Rocky Point is a very nice area right on Tampa Bay with nice views. There are a few nice restaurants right in the area including Landry's, Rusty Pelican, Bahama Breeze and the great restaurants at the Hyatt Grande, Oystercatchers and Armanis. but you are also within 20-25 minutes driving time to Channelside, the nightspots in Soho and Ybor City. All the Rocky Point Hotels are more then acceptable. The Sailport is cheaper and a little older. The rooms are being refurbished as we speak and they provide free airport transfers. Taxis to the pier will be around $20-$25. If you want to be a little closer to downtown check out the Sheraton Suites on Cypress St. Its a really nice hotel with beautiful Suites and sometimes you can get a good deal there.

Ask away if you have more questions.

Mark

Are there any fast food restaurants or convienance stores withing walking distance?

Our last stay in Rocky Point, there was a small convenience store within walking distance of the Holiday Inn. They didn't offer much, though. I would recommend you use their free shuttle to go to Walgreens. Bahama Breeze is right next door.

• 2 weeks later...

There are NO convenient stores on Rocky Point. There are NO stores at all. The one little store that used to be out that way was torn down years ago when they started prep for construction work on Courtney Campbell Causeway. The nearest store would be at a gas station located at Cypress and Westshore Blvd. There's a Walgreen's at Westshore and Kennedy.

I haven't seen jet ski usage at Rocky Point in ages. At one time, they were rented along the water behind the old Days Inn and Green Iguana which were raised a few of years ago to make way for a couple of high rise hotels. The big new hotel where the Days Inn and Green Iquana was (along with the little beach area where jet skis were rented) is nearing structural completion. I haven't seen a jet ski in the lagoon there in a long time.

I work from an office at Rocky Point, and I'm out there 1-2 times a week, every week, for the last 13 years. For a few years, I worked there 5 days a week. I know the area.

I haven't written or checked in here in a long while. I have other interests and hobbies, and it was getting to be a real drag to write the same answers over and over and over and over for those too darned lazy to be bothered with reading the stuff.

There's hardly a thing anyone can ask or think about that hasn't been covered multiple times in this thread. People pop in, too busy to look things up on their own and ask a question (sometimes answered within the last few entries), and expect someone like me to take the time to re-type the answer. I'm done with it.

I just hope whoever bothers with answering your questions here gives correct answers.

Ken

No offense Cracker Ken but that actually is the reason for these boards. For people to easily find info. As time goes on, things change and maybe, just maybe, someone might have some new information that isn't here in the billions of pages for them to look through. And if it is, so what! After all, the whole reason for these boards is so we can meet other cruise enthusiasts and TALK about the one hobby that we are all here for!

You know, a lot of people are new to these boards or chat forums in general, so it might not be so easy for them to navigate around it just yet - cut people some slack!

And lastly, if some information is incorrect, frustrating as it may be, people will let us know when they get back.

Frankly Ken, if you are sick of talking to all of us lazy people, take this thread off your e-mail reminder and stop responding. With an attitude like that, we don't expect or want anything from you anyway.

For those of you interested, I'll be staying at the Tampa Hyatt downtown in a few weeks and when I get back, I'll be happy to answer any questions for you.

I live in Tampa and would recommend staying in the Channelside/Downtown area if I were planning a short stay. You can shuttle to downtown and use the trolley to explore the area. That allows you to see downtown, channelside & ybor city. It will give you a variety.

If you have a car and are adventurous stay in the Rocky Point area. That area of town is safe and scenic with beautiful waterviews but with the exception of a few resturants there is NOTHING you can safely walk to. This area is on a busy highway. On the plus side it is very close to the airport and two very nice malls (International which is high end and Westshore mall).

The Westshore area is safe and there are many hotels around but be careful of the age of the hotel. I would not stay at the LaQuinta on Cypress - it was nasty 10 years ago.

Another option for the budget minded is the Brandon area. It is on the east side of Tampa and has several new hotels (Home Suites at 75 & Hwy 60) It is probably 10 minutes from the port and could be an alternate.