Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

No offense Cracker Ken but that actually is the reason for these boards. For people to easily find info. As time goes on, things change and maybe, just maybe, someone might have some new information that isn't here in the billions of pages for them to look through. And if it is, so what! After all, the whole reason for these boards is so we can meet other cruise enthusiasts and TALK about the one hobby that we are all here for!

You know, a lot of people are new to these boards or chat forums in general, so it might not be so easy for them to navigate around it just yet - cut people some slack!

And lastly, if some information is incorrect, frustrating as it may be, people will let us know when they get back.

Frankly Ken, if you are sick of talking to all of us lazy people, take this thread off your e-mail reminder and stop responding. With an attitude like that, we don't expect or want anything from you anyway.

For those of you interested, I'll be staying at the Tampa Hyatt downtown in a few weeks and when I get back, I'll be happy to answer any questions for you.

Thanks, Poolguppy, for voicing my thoughts exactly. Seems his responses have had a burnt out flavor for quite some time. :(

There are convenience stores all over the West Shore area on Dale Mabry Highway or Kennedy Blvd. As to places to eat, check out Miguel's on Kennedy and McDill Aves. Fabulous Mexican food. Also Check out Rigatonis on Kennedy, near the Channel 13 tower. Its a very popular Italian Rest. Huge portions, good food and reasonable prices.

Mark

No offense Cracker Ken but that actually is the reason for these boards. For people to easily find info. As time goes on, things change and maybe, just maybe, someone might have some new information that isn't here in the billions of pages for them to look through. And if it is, so what! After all, the whole reason for these boards is so we can meet other cruise enthusiasts and TALK about the one hobby that we are all here for!

You know, a lot of people are new to these boards or chat forums in general, so it might not be so easy for them to navigate around it just yet - cut people some slack!

And lastly, if some information is incorrect, frustrating as it may be, people will let us know when they get back.

Frankly Ken, if you are sick of talking to all of us lazy people, take this thread off your e-mail reminder and stop responding. With an attitude like that, we don't expect or want anything from you anyway.

For those of you interested, I'll be staying at the Tampa Hyatt downtown in a few weeks and when I get back, I'll be happy to answer any questions for you.

Bravo and very well put! Thanks for encouraging the positive responses we're all seeking!

There are convenience stores all over the West Shore area on Dale Mabry Highway or Kennedy Blvd. As to places to eat, check out Miguel's on Kennedy and McDill Aves. Fabulous Mexican food. Also Check out Rigatonis on Kennedy, near the Channel 13 tower. Its a very popular Italian Rest. Huge portions, good food and reasonable prices.

Mark

And a big THANK YOU to you Mark! I read the whole thread and found virtually nothing on the Sailport. Thank you for your recent replies on it and your patience with our inquiries. WE APPRECIATE IT!!!

Thanks for your kind words. Its very nice of you! I've lived in Tampa for 20 years and its my pleasure to help out my CC friends coming for a visit.

Mark

Could you give me some information about the area around the Courtyard Downtown

Liqour and grocery(please say there is a Publix close by) store locations is what I am really after

We stayed here last Friday (8/29/08) for one night prior to Carnival Inspiration cruise and it was great. Very nice hotel with great location and really great staff. We got two suites for under $200 on hotels dot com. Great managers reception and since it was raining, we got pizza delivered right to reception area and enjoyed a very entertaining evening. (Cruise had a very interesting first sea day due to Hurricane Gustav, but other days were great.)

During a break in the rain around 9:45pm, a few of us walked to the Publix to get beer, soda and water for cruise. Since they didn't have exactly what we were looking for, we also walked to the Walgreens. Big Surprise - no beer/liquor at all at Walgreens, and very limited soda selection. No big deal, we walked back to Publix and made do with some substitutions.

While walking we passed an Irish pub on our way that looked interesting; anybody from Tampa know if we should check this out on our next visit? Sorry I can't remember the name of it, but it was right after we crossed the bridge towards the Publix. We had kids with us this time so we didn't check it out, but maybe we will next time.

Thanks for your kind words. Its very nice of you! I've lived in Tampa for 20 years and its my pleasure to help out my CC friends coming for a visit.

Mark

Yes, Mark.......you are always so kind in your helpfulness!!!! Glad you are on this board! Thanks so much for all the assistance you provide!:D :D :D

During a break in the rain around 9:45pm, a few of us walked to the Publix to get beer, soda and water for cruise. Since they didn't have exactly what we were looking for, we also walked to the Walgreens. Big Surprise - no beer/liquor at all at Walgreens, and very limited soda selection. No big deal, we walked back to Publix and made do with some substitutions.

did you happen to see any full liqour stores in the area?

DG2004, we did not pass any liquor stores on our walk. Staff at the Embassy said we would probably want a cab to a package liquor store. Not sure how far away it is though; plus it was raining off and on. We had already packed some Malibu rum in rumrunner flasks in a small cooler in our luggage so we didn't need to go to one this time.

KreinKrunker, thanks for the link. That is the one we passed. Looked like a very fun place, lots of young people, very crowded. We'll try to hit it next time we visit Tampa.

We are staying at the Westin Harbour Island in January. Can anyone tell me if "foot traffic" (walking) is allowed on both bridges/roadways that get you to the island. It looks like the Trolly is very close by near the Marriott, walking over S Houbor Island Dr, but it also looks like if we walk over to the Bridge at S. Beneficial Dr that it would be a short walk from there to Channelside.

Thanks you for your help and answers, it is really appreciated. We have never been to Tampa before.

I cant think of any fast food or convenience stores in Rocky Point. They are all on the other side of the airport. Many of the hotels do have free shuttles within 3 miles of the hotel.

Mark

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the HI Rocky Pointe shuttle going to Walgreens? We are in need of diapers when we get there. Are there any pizza delivery options?

There is supposed to be a new BW airport inn/suites. Any views on it?? What about Quality Inn midtown (on S.Dale Mabry)? Can't seem to find anything much under $100 for Jan.09.

What's a taxi or shuttle fee from that area to port (2 people)? any advice?

Is it too much trouble to stay near airport and then take bus into town for sight-seeing, dinner? Can you do a streetcar tour?? Any info would be great.

Thanks.

I'm looking for information on Quality Inn Midtown also. I would also like to know about Comfort Suites on Adamo Dr.. Any help would be appreciated.

As promised, here is some info on the Hyatt Downtown Tampa. We arrived in Tampa around 9:30 p.m. and after getting our luggage, we proceded to the taxi area where Yellow Taxi was available to take us to the hotel. (The hotel uses Blue One Shuttle but the last pick-up was at 10:00 so I didn't schedule the shuttle to pick us up because I didn't think we'd get in on time to utilize it.) It cost us $37 to take the taxi to the hotel and we made it there in about 15 minutes.

The hotel itself was very upscale (we booked on the AARP rate) but very nice. HOWEVER - in room, it was $5 for a small bottle of water which was bad as I was unable to purchase a bottle at the gift shop or restaurant as they were both closed. It was a standard bottle of water and as most of us know, I could buy a whole case for $5!!!! We did have a drink at the hotel bar, two rum and cokes and I believe it was $13 for two small drinks.

The pool area is on the 5th floor and is really nice. The workout room is open 24 hours and the pool closes at 10. Because we came in so late, I was unable to determine if there were any stores in the area, but I'm going to say probably not as we were in the middle of downtown Tampa.

The hotel offered shuttle service to the port, again Blue One Shuttle. It cost us $6 for the two of us and took about 5 minutes to get to the port and was very convenient.

Overall, if you are looking for a cheap alternative, the Hyatt is not the hotel for you. But if you are looking for convenience to the port, I highly recommend the Hyatt.

As for the Channelside area, it consists of a very small aquarium, a place to leave your luggage until 4:00 p.m. which will also get you back on the shuttle for a discounted price and is mostly restaurants and an Imax theater. The trolley runs back and forth through the area to Ybor City but we did not utilize the trolley. We had five hours to kill and only was able to kill about two of the hours here in the area. From there, we headed to the airport and spent the rest of our time waiting. I don't recommend trying to spend more than an hour or two in this area as there is not much to do.

Hope this info can help someone out.

Hi All,

I just returned from a cruise and my pre-cruise stay was at The Hampton Inn Rocky Point. It was very clean and quaint. The bedding is very nice. They do serve a nice continental breakfast in the morning. We arrived on a Friday evening. Once we checked in we walked across to The Bahama Breeze Rest and got our vacation started. I definitely would stay here again if I was cruising.

Hi All,

I just returned from a cruise and my pre-cruise stay was at The Hampton Inn Rocky Point. It was very clean and quaint. The bedding is very nice. They do serve a nice continental breakfast in the morning. We arrived on a Friday evening. Once we checked in we walked across to The Bahama Breeze Rest and got our vacation started. I definitely would stay here again if I was cruising.

Was it easy to get a cab to the port and/or do they have a shuttle?

Ken,

Search has been down a lot lately (is now in fact). Therefore it would be impossible for people to search for the answers to their questions. Fine, don't help those people with questions but don't you dare call people lazy just because they are asking a question that may have already been asked before.

S

I appreciate all the nice comments. It my pleasure to help.

Harbor Island is very close to the pier and there are 2 bridges on and off the island for pedestrians and vehicles. Its a short walk from the Island from the eastern bridge to Channelside. From Beneficial Dr. take the trolly.

There is a full service liquor store on Harbor Island.

Taxis are plentiful and easy to find at the airport and all hotels.

Taxis charge $25 each way per ride from airport to pier.

There is pizza delivery from all the big chains to Rocky Point.

Comfort Suites on Adamo. Not to my taste, nor a preferred location.

There is a Total Wines and liquer on Dale Mabry Highway near I-275. There are also numerous ABC liquer stores including one on Kennedy Blvd half way between the pier and Rocky Point.

Courtyard Downtown is next to the performing arts center. There isnt much doing at that end of downtown unless your going to a show. But its a short walk to the trolly next to the Embassy Suites. I hope I answered everyones questions. If I missed it, please ask again.

Mark

I appreciate all the nice comments. It my pleasure to help.

Harbor Island is very close to the pier and there are 2 bridges on and off the island for pedestrians and vehicles. Its a short walk from the Island from the eastern bridge to Channelside. From Beneficial Dr. take the trolly.

There is a full service liquor store on Harbor Island.

Taxis are plentiful and easy to find at the airport and all hotels.

Taxis charge $25 each way per ride from airport to pier.

There is pizza delivery from all the big chains to Rocky Point.

Comfort Suites on Adamo. Not to my taste, nor a preferred location.

There is a Total Wines and liquer on Dale Mabry Highway near I-275. There are also numerous ABC liquer stores including one on Kennedy Blvd half way between the pier and Rocky Point.

Courtyard Downtown is next to the performing arts center. There isnt much doing at that end of downtown unless your going to a show. But its a short walk to the trolly next to the Embassy Suites. I hope I answered everyones questions. If I missed it, please ask again.

Mark

Is the Comfort Suites on Adamo in a bad area or just not as close to the port as you would like? I am under the impression that it is about 6 miles from the port.

The area isn't bad, its just a old fashioned motel type place. I go for conferences there occasionally and I personally would go elsewhere. There are too many nice places with decent rates out there, in nicer scenic type areas. Check out Sailport Resort on Rocky Point. Its an older place that was refurbished recently, but it is right on Tampa Bay with beautiful views. They also have free airport pickup. The H.I and the Hampton are newer, in the same area and provide free transfers to pier and airport. They also have good rates.

Mark