Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

The area isn't bad, its just a old fashioned motel type place. I go for conferences there occasionally and I personally would go elsewhere. There are too many nice places with decent rates out there, in nicer scenic type areas. Check out Sailport Resort on Rocky Point. Its an older place that was refurbished recently, but it is right on Tampa Bay with beautiful views. They also have free airport pickup. The H.I and the Hampton are newer, in the same area and provide free transfers to pier and airport. They also have good rates.

Mark

Mark gives good advice on the Sailport! The room was a huge suite, clean, fully equiped kitchen, BEAUTIFUL ocean views, shuttle that took us everywhere-even after shuttle hours for FREE and friendly, Free airport pickup, small in house convenience/liqour store, included breakfast with omelet station, small pier all for $79!!! Can't beat that! They sent me a return guest e-mail discount I will post if any are interested. It really was a great place and a great value!

Benicehavefun: What type of discount was it? I am staying there along with my wife and two children in January. If you wouldn't mind sharing it or giving me any info on the hotel, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Here you go! Happy cruising!

title.gifRECEIVE A 20% DISCOUNT OFF OF OUR REGULAR RATES

BOOK NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY - VALID UNTIL 12/20/08Call toll free 800.255.9599 and mention Reference Number "G1556EO"

I've read some of the posts and not finding my answers so here goes...

I'm thinking of trying Hotwire for booking a hotel in the tampa area. I've found one choice that seems like it would be near the port. The description says the aquarium is a point of interest. Can anyone tell me what hotel this might be and is this a nice area to stay?

The 2 closest hotels nearest the port are the Marriott Waterside and the Embassy Suites. The Aquarium is adjacent to the pier. If you bid on a 3 star hotel for downtown Tampa, they are all more then acceptable.

Mark

MARK

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ON STAYING AT EMBASSY SUITES DOWNTOWN.

GREAT LOCATION FOR THE DAY BEFORE OUR CRUISE, WE TOOK THE TECO STREETCAR TO YBOR FOR THE AFTERNOON AND DINNER. WE WOKE UP EARLY IN THE MORNING AND WATCHED INSPIRATION DOCK FROM OUT HOTEL ROOM.

THANKS AGAIN

DAVE

Thanks Dave, Glad to have helped . Where did you have dinner in Ybor?

Mark

THE KIDS WANTED THE SPAGHETTI FACTORY AND I WANTED THE COLUMBIA.

GUESS WHERE WE WENT THE SPAGHETTI FACTORY. NEXT TIME WE WILL BE GOING TO THE COLUMBIA. I CAN'T WAIT TO COME BACK TO TAMPA SUCH A BEAUTIFUL CITY.

DAVE

You passed up the Columbia for Spaghetti Wearhouse ? OY! at least you saved some money by doing that. But don't do it again my friend:confused:

Mark

TRUST ME IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN !!!!!! ANYWAYS HAVE A GREAT 35TH ANNIVERSARY CRUISE, GIVE US AN UPDATE WHEN YOU GET BACK.

DAVE

Here you go! Happy cruising!

title.gifRECEIVE A 20% DISCOUNT OFF OF OUR REGULAR RATES

BOOK NOW - LIMITED AVAILABILITY - VALID UNTIL 12/20/08Call toll free 800.255.9599 and mention Reference Number "G1556EO"

Thanks Bernice for the info. My DH and I will also be staying there in January. Do they have wine and liquor right on site for a reasonable price? What is the closest grocery/liquor store that the shuttle will take you to? And are there any good sports bars within walking distance? How much was a taxi to the pier?

I've read some of the posts and not finding my answers so here goes...

I'm thinking of trying Hotwire for booking a hotel in the tampa area. I've found one choice that seems like it would be near the port. The description says the aquarium is a point of interest. Can anyone tell me what hotel this might be and is this a nice area to stay?

If it is Downtown Tampa and 3 stars it is most likely the Sheraton Riverwalk hotel. Go to betterbidding.com and they will be able to tell you what the most likely hotel will be. We booked this one and it was decent for a one night stay and was really close to to the pier with a free shuttle that will take you there whenever you want.

We booked the Sheraton Riverwalk on Hotwire. It was nice, we didn't spend much time there. We stayed the night before. They have a shuttle. We didn't feel like waiting for the shuttle, so we walked to Channelside for dinner and fun the night before. Then we caught a cab back, the shuttle had stopped running by the time we came back. We went downstairs in the morning and told the valet we needed a shuttle to the pier and we had one in about 15 mins. The shuttle driver was annoyed that we had such a big group and didn't book a private shuttle, but he took us anyway.

Thanks Bernice for the info. My DH and I will also be staying there in January. Do they have wine and liquor right on site for a reasonable price? What is the closest grocery/liquor store that the shuttle will take you to? And are there any good sports bars within walking distance? How much was a taxi to the pier?

Small amount of liquor, reasonably priced, on-site. We bought beer, iced it in the bag it came in, took it down to their little sandy "beach" and sat at the edge of the water listening to the ocean, watching birds "fish" and sipping beer and dozing in beach chairs until well after midnight.

My DD and her BF took the shuttle to one of the malls to a sports bar to watch UFC fights and had a great time. Just ask at the desk and they will tell you what's near and take you there.

On the day of the cruise the shuttle took us to a liquor store where we bought what we needed:cool: and the cab that the shuttle driver called for us was waiting to take us to the pier. Taxi fare to the pier was $25. We had 4 people to split the fare.

I would like to add that not only was the hotel an exceptional value, but Bahama Breezes was a great time too. LOVED the Jamacaiin Jerk Chicken Wings! They weren't really wings, more like pieces of chicken, very big and meaty and delicious. Sitting outside over the water with great food, music and drinks was a perfect pre-cruise evening/night!;)

Small amount of liquor, reasonably priced, on-site. We bought beer, iced it in the bag it came in, took it down to their little sandy "beach" and sat at the edge of the water listening to the ocean, watching birds "fish" and sipping beer and dozing in beach chairs until well after midnight.

My DD and her BF took the shuttle to one of the malls to a sports bar to watch UFC fights and had a great time. Just ask at the desk and they will tell you what's near and take you there.

On the day of the cruise the shuttle took us to a liquor store where we bought what we needed:cool: and the cab that the shuttle driver called for us was waiting to take us to the pier. Taxi fare to the pier was $25. We had 4 people to split the fare.

I would like to add that not only was the hotel an exceptional value, but Bahama Breezes was a great time too. LOVED the Jamacaiin Jerk Chicken Wings! They weren't really wings, more like pieces of chicken, very big and meaty and delicious. Sitting outside over the water with great food, music and drinks was a perfect pre-cruise evening/night!;)

Thanks for the info! I picked this place because it was reasonable in January (some places were $200+) and for the views that would be a perfect start to our cruise! Glad you confirmed that!

Since we have credit card points with Hilton, we are looking for a Hilton hotel to stay precruise. They own Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Doubletree and a few others.

We land at 8:00est the night before our cruise and would like to be able to eat someplace decent and have access to a liquor store. Is the Embassy Suites downtown a good option? Other suggestions?

Thanks!:)

Thanks for the info! I picked this place because it was reasonable in January (some places were $200+) and for the views that would be a perfect start to our cruise! Glad you confirmed that!

Your welcome! It really is a beautiful secluded property. You're at the very end of the point with nothing but ocean around you, yet close to all kinds of fun and entertainment the shuttle will take you to. We all felt that this was a steal and some what of a well kept secret.

Let us know what you think when you get back. By the way, did you use the discount code I posted?

Happy cruising!

Lisa

Your welcome! It really is a beautiful secluded property. You're at the very end of the point with nothing but ocean around you, yet close to all kinds of fun and entertainment the shuttle will take you to. We all felt that this was a steal and some what of a well kept secret.

Let us know what you think when you get back. By the way, did you use the discount code I posted?

Happy cruising!

Lisa

I will let you think and post a review. It was so hard to find information on this place. That is why I'm glad to hear from you about it. I didn't use your discount because it's only valid until December and I will be there in the beginning of January.

I will let you think and post a review. It was so hard to find information on this place. That is why I'm glad to hear from you about it. I didn't use your discount because it's only valid until December and I will be there in the beginning of January.

What is the name of this Hotel? I am looking for one.

Thank You

Dorene

• 1 year later...

Are there any Tampa hotels that allow free parking while you cruise? I know there are east coast hotels that allow free parking if you stay there the night before the cruise.

We stayed at the Sailport Suites in Tampa 3 nights before our cruise. It was nice to have the full kitchen. Our unit was very worn. The balcony didn't have any chairs and it felt like the floor was rotten in spots. We went to the front desk and asked for a chair....they brought us a straight back conference room chair...just one. The bugs that look like roaches, but aren't, palmento (sp?) bugs loved our room. We had at least four that we saw. The view was great. It was a little further out than I realized it would be. It was pretty quiet. There was a private party at the pool one night, but they ended pretty early and we enjoyed listening to the music. With that said, we were traveling with two other couples and their rooms were good. They were a little worn, but they were good. I guess it is the luck of the draw. Would we stay there again??? Probably not just because they are so far away from the things that we do. We went to Busch Gardens & then a 7 day cruise. I would stay closer to the port. The port area looks really nice.

I hope that helps and isn't too negitive. The staff was really friendly, the grounds were clean, the view were great. We did enjoy our time there.....just felt that our room needed a little TLC. Oh and we did take advantage of the laundry rooms which were nice & clean.