Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

George - Thanks a lot. It really doesn't take a whole bunch of time, well, maybe a little, but I type awful fast.:) If you haven't checked yet, go to my Yahoo photo page (the link is in my signature block) and look at the Tampa photos. The area I mentioned at the end of Franklin St and Florida Ave, the street car station, and the Channelside District are all covered there in detail, as well at the cruise terminals. This will give you a good visual. One of these days I'm going to take some more pics out in the Rocky Point area, and some other areas that people often ask about. If you still have some questions about good restaurants in Tampa let me know. I think I've covered several restaurants in the thread somewhere, but it's getting long. I can't even remember who started it.

Cathyoo - Thanks for checking in regarding the Chase Suites. People from our company stay there these days when in Tampa to visit our offices nearby, and they give it good marks too.

Later,

Ken

Kracker Ken, You have done a great job describing all the best places in Tampa. Being a Tampa Florida native, I agree with all your recommendations. My favorite hotel for pre-cruise is also Tampa Marriott Waterside. The Channelside district is a great area. There are some areas of Tampa that you should avoid, just like any big city. We now live north of Tampa in Pasco County, but still consider Tampa home. Love the Spanish food heritage..great food. I heard recently that Marriott Waterside now had a shuttle to Busch Gardens daily, but not sure if that is really true. It's not a bad taxi ride, pretty much interstate the entire way. The new roller coaster opens at Busch Gardens I believe Memorial Day Weekend, it's supposed to be awesome. It has altered the Busch Gardent Skyline, so it looks pretty intense.

Ken, thanks so much for all your info. I have read all the posts.

My question is: I am taking my 3 boys on a cruise (just me and boys). We arrive at Tampa airport at 8:30 am on Saturday and our cruise does not depart until Sunday. My tentative plan is to transport (how? hotel shuttle, taxi, i'm not sure yet) from the airport to the Marriot Waterside. Rent a car from Hertz for one day so we can go out and about (not really interested in Busch Gardens) and go to the store for bottled water, sodas, etc. Return car at Hertz counter at Marriot in morning and transport (how? hotel shuttle - I hope) to the dock. It is a fairly expensive option but seems the one with the least hassle, having to corral 3 children and all the luggage.

I would love to have a cheaper option like a Holiday Inn Express or a Hampton that includes breakfast, but I'm worried about the hassle of having to return the car to the airport on Sunday morning and make it to the port.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'm open. We don't leave until August, so I have a little time.

Thanks,

Dawn

I have tried to read as many of the posts as possible. I have concluded that the Marriott Waterside is the best offering so far. However .....

What I would like to know is: are there hotels that will let you park your car on their property while you're cruising for 7 days?

We're driving to Tampa from Atlanta to sail on the Miracle, and dread paying $12 a day at the port if at all possible -- particularly since we'll be in 2 cars.

Thanks to everyone -- especially Ken -- for all the info.

I have tried to read as many of the posts as possible. I have concluded that the Marriott Waterside is the best offering so far. However .....

What I would like to know is: are there hotels that will let you park your car on their property while you're cruising for 7 days?

We're driving to Tampa from Atlanta to sail on the Miracle, and dread paying $12 a day at the port if at all possible -- particularly since we'll be in 2 cars.

Thanks to everyone -- especially Ken -- for all the info.

Hi Cruisenut7 - When we cruised out of Tampa we stayed at the Chase hotel. We are from Philadelphia and flew into Tampa but my mom lives in Melbourne and she drove down and parked at the hotel for our 5 day cruise. We had a two two bedroom units. There was a small kitchen, living room (with a pull out sofa, I believe) a bedroom with a king size bed (a door that closed) and bath on the first floor. On the second floor there is a loft bedroom with a king size bed and bath. Breakfast is included and transportation to and from the port. I strongly recommend their cruise package. Have fun.

cathyoo ....

Thank you for the recommendation. I read conflicting reviews on www.tripadvisor.com about the Chase, but with your input I've decided that's where we are going to stay.

I called them to make the reservation and they were great on the phone. We're getting the 2 bedwoom suite, parking for 2 cars for 7 days, and shuttle to port for $189!

Just parking two cars at the port for the week would be $168!

Thanks again .... your help is so appreciated.

After a bit of telephone "leg work", I would like to share the following:

TAMPA HOTELS THAT HAVE SPECIAL CRUISE RATES, INCLUDING PARKING WHILE YOU SAIL!

Chase Suite Hotel - (813) 281-5677

"Ship & Shore" Package

Studio $159/night

2-Bedroom Suite $189/night (2 couples)

Includes accommodations, parking car(s) for 7 days, shuttle to port

Radisson Bay Harbor Hotel - (813) 281-8900

"Cruise Away" Rate

Standard Room $149/night

Includes accommodations, parking car for 7 days, shuttle to port

Courtyard Tampa Downtown - (813) 229-1100

"Cruise Package"

Standard Room $79/night

Parking $8/day

No shuttle to port - located one mile from port

This one is a great rate is you are not driving your own car

Sailport Resort - (800) 255-9599

"Pre/Post Cruise Package"

1 Bedroom Suite $119/night (for 2 people)

Includes accommodations, parking car for 7 days, shuttle to port

Located about 20 minutes from port

Looks like y'all are figuring things out OK. I was going to recommend the Chase Suites, but I see you are onto it already. Those reviews on places like tripadvisor.com are always very subjective, to say the least. Some people are so picky that they would have a hard time pleasing themselves, so you never know. As I've mentioned before, the office for my employer is on Rocky Point, and people from our company stay there. I've heard no complaints. I'm very familiar with all of the places mentioned on Rocky Point. All of them are fine, but I think the Chase Suites is probably the best of that type hotel. The Radisson is a real nice place as well. The Sailport, while it's just fine, would be my third choice of those mentioned. In addition, there is a Hampton Inn and a Holiday Inn Express on Rocky Point as well. I wasn't sure which hotels allowed you to leave your car during a cruise, so I'm glad you posted that information for everyone.

rnmhaexec - Dawn, For the situation you described, you are probably doing the best thing as long as you can afford the Marriott Waterside. It's a beautiful hotel and the surrounding area is very nice. The street car station is right out front, across the street from the hotel. During your stay on the day before the cruise, you could hop on the street car and go to the Channelside complex, the FL Aquarium, etc. You could also check with the street car conductor and see if they will allow you to bring your luggage on the street car. If it's OK (and you are going on a short cruise, so maybe not a lot of luggage?), you could take the street car from the Marriott down to the terminal on the day you sail. Checking the car in at the Marriott will save you a lot of aggravation, for sure. Somewhere on the thread I've put links to the Channelside, the Aquarium, the street cars, etc. Also, I have a lot of photos of this area in my Tampa album on my Yahoo photo page (link in my signature block). If you have any other questions, just ask.

Ken

Hi Cruisenut7 - When we cruised out of Tampa we stayed at the Chase hotel. We are from Philadelphia and flew into Tampa but my mom lives in Melbourne and she drove down and parked at the hotel for our 5 day cruise. We had a two two bedroom units. There was a small kitchen, living room (with a pull out sofa, I believe) a bedroom with a king size bed (a door that closed) and bath on the first floor. On the second floor there is a loft bedroom with a king size bed and bath. Breakfast is included and transportation to and from the port. I strongly recommend their cruise package. Have fun.

We will be staying at the Chase on June 18. What is close by within walking distance? Restaurants, Convience stores etc? Thanks

willowcreek1955 - There is a nice restaurant right next door called Bahama Breeze. I've been there a few times. Very good food and nice atmosphere. This place is immediately next door, with the properties joining, so it only takes a minute to walk over there. This is for lunch and dinner.

Up on the main road, on SR60, just a block E of Rocky Point Drive is Landry's Seafood. I really enjoy eating at this place. It's also right on the water with great food. You could walk here too, but you might work up a sweat (maybe 1/4 mile).

The other restaurant I've mentioned on Rocky Point, the Green Iguana, has been torn down. The old Days Inn where it was located is being demolished as well, to make room for a condo or something.

Ken

willowcreek1955 - There is a nice restaurant right next door called Bahama Breeze. I've been there a few times. Very good food and nice atmosphere. This place is immediately next door, with the properties joining, so it only takes a minute to walk over there. This is for lunch and dinner.

Up on the main road, on SR60, just a block E of Rocky Point Drive is Landry's Seafood. I really enjoy eating at this place. It's also right on the water with great food. You could walk here too, but you might work up a sweat (maybe 1/4 mile).

The other restaurant I've mentioned on Rocky Point, the Green Iguana, has been torn down. The old Days Inn where it was located is being demolished as well, to make room for a condo or something.

Ken

Thanks Ken, any stores or Kwicky Marts to pick up soda? Any beaches within about 1 1/2 mile walk?

Thanks Ken, any stores or Kwicky Marts to pick up soda? Any beaches within about 1 1/2 mile walk?

When we stayed at there the driver told us he would take us anywhere within a 5 mile radius.

Because I am a laid back type I am always hesitant to make recommendations. What's my dessert might be your poison. But I enjoyed the Bahama Breeze and while the Chase Suites was not the Hilton it suited our group of 8 with the pick up at the airport for the flyers and the parking for the drivers. I mentioned in another post there was an inch of dust on one of the ceiling fans but there is probably two inches of dust on my ceiling fans. Chase also includes a cereal, waffle, fruit, muffin, danish, coffee, tea, juice bar for breakfast.

I hope everyone has a wonderful time.

willowcreek1955 - There are no stores out there anymore. The last one was torn down for highway construction that's going. The construction is on SR60 closer to the airport, and it's far enough away from the Chase that you won't know it's there. It's not messing up traffic yet either. The Tampa Municipal Beach is within 1/2 to 1 mile away, just W. of Rocky Point Drive on SR60. It's not the nicest beach around, but it's still a beach. Some areas get crowded during the summer, but it's possible to find a clear spot away from the crowds.

Important - Please be cautious about thunderstorms and lightning. It can get very bad, very quickly during the summer in this area. There have been people struck and killed by lightning along SR60 (Courtney Campbell Causeway) in the past. Afternoon thunderstorms are common in central FL. Remember that lightning strikes a distance from the clouds, so don't wait for the rain because it might be too late.

I forgot to mention earlier - There's another nice restaurant right next to the beach called Castaways. Very good seafood place.

Ken

Cracker Ken

Hi - first let me say you are great to give all this helpful infor out.

I am wondering if you know anything about Clearwater Beach? We have booked two nights pre-miracle cruise in July at the Hilton Clearwater Beach. We are traveling with our 17 and 20 yr old kids. Am wondering if there is anything in the area for decent priced meals? We will have a rental car. Also I know there is a Flemings Steak House in Tampa - do you know how far that would be from this hotel? We have a gift certificate there -

Thanks so much for your help.

Kathy:)

Lemarier - Kathy - Thanks much. Believe it or not, I was born and raised in Central FL, and I've never set foot on Clearwater Beach. Strange huh? I love the beaches though. I used to go to Desoto Park Beach at the S. tip of the peninsula S. of St Pete. I'm partial to E. coast beaches. Clearwater Beach, from what I've seen on TV, and from what people have told me, is a nice beach. It gets really crowded during the summer months. On the weekends there is probably 6 inches between the beach towels. Lots of people. There are a lot of nice places to eat around Clearwater. I know of several around the area of SR 60 and US 19, and there are more. There are various places to eat out around the beach, and I imagine there are family type places around. There are also restaurants on US 19 N. and S. of SR60 too. A lot of good chain restaurants are over there.

As for Flemings - It is located on Boy Scout Blvd just to the E. of Westshore Blvd, across the street from the International Plaza mall in Tampa. It is about 17.5 to 18 miles from Clearwater Beach (per MapQuest). It would take you about 30 minutes, tops, and it's easy to get from Clearwater Beach to Flemings. If you go to MapQuest.com and do a search from Clearwater Beach, Clearwater, FL to Boy Scout Blvd and N. Westshore Blvd in Tampa, FL, you can get the simple directions. There are 3 Outback Steakhouse concept restaurants in a row at the locations - LeRoy Selmon's BBQ, Roy's and Flemings. State Road 60 (SR60) ends at Clearwater Beach. All you have to do is take SR60 East through Clearwater towards Tampa, across the Courtney Campbell Causeway (it is SR60). Follow the signs and stay on SR60 where it goes to the right onto Eisenhower Hwy (just past the Grand Hyatt Hotel). Exit to the right onto Eisenhower, stay in the right hand lane, and exit at Spruce St. Spruce St exit goes onto Boy Scout Blvd (or W. Spruce St). It's about 1/2 mile on the right, along the S. edge of Tampa Intl Airport. If any other questions, just ask.

Ken

Kathy - I haven't been to Flemings yet. I have been to Leroy Selmon's BBQ and it's great. I expect the prices at Flemings to be more expensive than Outback Steakhouse. I think it's called Flemings Prime Steakhouse or something like that. That has an expensive ring to it. I wonder if it's as expensive as Ruth's Chris Steakhouse? Maybe someone who has been to Flemings will see this and post.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Ken

swiss - I'm not aware of any stores close to there. It's primarily a business district in that area, with the hotels, Tampa Convention Center, and high rise office buildings. I saw something in the papers about plans to build a supermarket down near the Channelside complex at some point in the future. So, for the time being, you would probably have to go out to the W. on Kennedy Blvd from downtown just past the University of Tampa, on the N. side of the road. There's a supermarket there, and some convenient stores in the area too. You would want a taxi or car to go that distance. My estimate would be about 2 miles one way. If you are taking a hotel shuttle to the hotel, or a taxi, perhaps you could give a nice tip to the driver and he could stop at the store on the way. It's worth a try.

People often ask about access to a convenient store down in the port area. If someone could afford a corner lot down there, they should be able to make a mint with a convenient store. Another good thing for the area of the cruise terminals (Channelside District) would be a place for car rental returns.

Ken

Flemings may be a few bucks cheaper than Ruth's Chris. IMO their filet mignon is much better. RC advertises USPrime beef and indeed most of their steaks are, but if you read the menu carefully you will see that the US Prime description is lacking for the filet. I've always enjoyed my meals there.

Kathy, about Clearwater Beach, just north of the Hilton, across the street. is Bob Heilman's Beachcomber Restaurant. It's a CB mainstay, and while their prices may be just a bit more than decent, they do have one item that is a particularly great buy. It's their fried chicken dinner. I'm pretty sure that this is their original menu item and the restaurant has grown over the years, but this is the dish that started them off.

For a real beachfront casual dining experience, go to any of the Frenchy's locations. There are at least 4. Their specialty is the fried grouper sandwich.

The beach is very nice. Have a great stay.

Cracker Ken...

All of us here in Tampa need to get together. I keep seeing people who live in Tampa or close by helping people coming into town on where to stay or dine, and none of us chat with each other.

My wife and I live in Bayport on the top of Tampa Bay. Hillsborough between Memorial & Oldsmar.

Swiss, there is a Publix grocery store not too far from Harbour Island. I believe it is near the Platt Street bridge, which if you ask anyone at the hotel, they can direct you in the right direction. I know how to get there, but I don't know how to tell you how to get there,(don't know the name of all the streets), but I think you'll find it close to your hotel.

Clearwater Beach is great place to spend some time. I would definetly recommend a visit to Frenchy'.s I like to Frenchy's Rockaway location the best, It's right on the beach and is a great way to experience the beach atmosphere. It stays busy, so you might want to consider off times. Ask for a table outside. Grouper sandwiches are the best. We've also visited the Bob Heilman's Beachcomber and found the food to be good, just a more upscale experience than Frenchy's. You'll have a great time in Clearwater. Just be prepared for lots of traffic.

Cindi

Since I have not read this entire thread, I will just add my recent experience for an overnight stay in Tampa. We arrived at TPA late so decided to spend the night near the airport (apx. 3 miles). A suites at Amerisuites, purchased on Valuetrips.com for $72 worked out fine. There is an airport shuttle, nice continental breakfast plus scrambled eggs, sausage patties and make your own waffles. The pool area off the rear parking lot looked inviting. Our room was non-skmoking King on the 3rd. floor. Very quiet and clean.

Bon Voyage