Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Suncoastgirl, is this the same area as the Embassy Suites? We're booked there and it SOUNDED familiar what you were describing (I think the Westshore name rang a bell). I think it's the Embassy Suites Airport that we're in. $20 to the port sounds great (if it is) and I like the fact that it's so close to things.

Kim

KAWS - This is on Westshore Blvd just S of I275, and directly across the street from Westshore Plaza Mall (the mall for the common folk, still a really nice mall but not as upscale as International). 2-3 blocks from Walgreens drug store.

GottaCruise18 - The Marriott Waterside is down in S end of the downtown business district, along the channel. It's a long ways to a Wal-Mart or Target. There is a Publix Super Market not far away, across the river at the base of Bayshore Blvd. Maybe a little far to walk, especially with a load of stuff.

GottaCruise18 - The rental car situation at the Port of Tampa isn't good at all. Lots of opportunity there for someone, but they don't seem to car. Real estate in that area is booming, and extremely expensive. High rises going up all over the place. I suspect that the rental car outfits haven't tried to set up shop because of the real estate prices. It is said that Hertz does business out of the Marriott Waterside Hotel on Channelside Drive a short distance to the W of the cruise terminals. You could even hop on a street car at the cruise terminal and go down to the Marriott. I'd suggest talking with Hertz and make sure that people not staying at the Marriott can arrange to pick up a rental there. I don't think the rental companies even provide shuttles to/from the cruise terminals to their lots at the airport. Bummer.

jessemon - Hi there. Glad to see you are still up and running. I agree with you. Like I mentioned above, rental car agencies are lacking in the cruise terminal areas, and that's not good at all. Also, the itineraries out of Tampa are so darned boring. Same places every cruise, every week, all year long. There are a few that go longer during the winter, but more variety would be good.

suncoastgirl - Glad to see someone else in the Tampa area joining in on the fun. :) Welcome. Sometimes keeping up with the questions on this threat is a real chore. We can use the help.

Ken

I'll jump on the bandwagon here and ask about drugstores and package stores around Chase Suites. DW and I stayed there last year before our cruise but didn't get a chance to explore the area. This year we figure we'll need to stop somewhere what with the new flying restrictions. any help would be appreciated.

Ken has given you some very accurate information. I second everything he says. The closest Wal-Mart and Target near the Marriot will be ones I mentioned on Dale Mabry. It is about a 10 minute taxi ride. There is also a CVS drugstore downtown on Franklin St. It is small but has a decent selection. FYI- no alcohol. The trolley that stops outside the Marriott will take you within one block for 50 cents each way.

Is your name a reference to being a native? Thanks for the welcome. I have been on the boards for about 8 months now. I will try to help you as much as I can. You are a wealth of information. I also worked in the downtown Tampa area for close to 13 years. BTW- DH works for the IT department at Publix in Lakeland. It is almost an hour commute but he loves it. We are in Apollo Beach.

Suncoastgirl - You bet, FL native 100%, and proud of it. That goes for both DW and I. That includes our parents, and their parents, and their parents, and... I think my great grandfather was in FL about 1850 or thereabouts. Great-great grandfather was in the SE corner of GA and/or N FL going way back towards the early 1800's or late 1700's. My fathers side of the family were certainly "Crackers" in the truest sense of the word, way out there in the sticks of rural S. Central FL. I remember the old homestead in the far SE corner of Hillsborough County being a real "Cracker House", with a big wide porch all the way around the place, a big breezeway separating the house, high tin roof (like the displays out at the fair grounds). Unfortunately, some folks consider "Cracker" to be some sort of racist or demeaning word, which I can't understand. To us, it just denotes a multi-generation FL Native.

Ken

We to like all the good reviews about Springhill suites. And I called them and they have a service to the port for 6.00$ a per person. So for my family that is still around 125.00$. Thats a great deal. I will find my own ride(like a cab) back to the airport after the cruise. When I get off the ship I don't like to be waiting around for a shuttle service that might not show up for a 1/2 hour or a hour. I get off the ship I need to get to the airport and catch the first flight home.

We just returned from our cruise and stayed pre-cruise at Springhill Suites. We were so happy there and I highly recommend it. Very clean hotel. The breakfast was very good in the morning. We arrived early at the airport around 10:00am and called the hotel for their shuttle. It arrived in a matter of minutes. After dropping us off, we went to see if the rooms were ready. THEY WERE!! This was about 10:30am. We checked out our rooms, which were wonderful. We had two beds, a sofa bed, a desk with chair and also a chair with an ottoman. Small kitchenette area too. Plenty of room for the 4 or us. We then took their shuttle to the mall and had lunch and the Cheescake factory and walked around a bit. Called the hotel for the shuttle to pick us up and take us back to the hotel. We rested and then took their shuttle to a restaurant (Steak and Ale) for dinner. There are no restaurants in the area, only a gas station that has a convenience store in it and also sells Subway sandwiches. When we were finished with dinner we called the hotel and they sent the shuttle back to pick us up. I have never used shuttle services before as we always rent a car and I have to say, Springhill was fantastic! We inquired about arranging a ride to the port the next morning and were told that their shuttle doesn't do it, but they have someone that will take us for $5.00 each. He was in the lobby waiting for us at 10:15 the next morning. He even gave us his card and we called him directly to bring us from the pier back to the airport upon our return. He was there in minutes to pick us up yesterday!. We enjoyed our stay at Springhill very much. I saw the pool area, but didn't use the pool. It was nice, nothing special, just a rectangle pool with chairs around it. But, if you wanted to get wet, it would have served its purpose! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!! :)

katie, thanks for the great review of the hotel...you've got my wife and me seriously considering staying there before our Inspiration cruise. Since we'll be flying in we're planning on picking up some Cokes and (hopefully) some rum and Bailey's to go with the free punch and coffee onboard. Were there any places near the hotel where we could pick up these things?

I answered these questions a couple of days ago. The Springhill Suites is considered to be in the Westshore area. You can ask the shuttle service at the hotel to take you to the Walgreens on Westshore, go to Wal-Mart at Dale Mabry and I-275 and there are lots of liquor stores on Kennedy Blvd. There is an ABC Liquor next to Wal-Mart, a wine store and Target across the street. You should be able find anything you are looking for at these locations. The Wal-Mart and Target are about 2 miles away. The Walgreens less than a mile.

Suncoastgirl - I see that you are encountering frustrations similar to mine, in that many people ask, but don't read what's already here. I dare say that this thread would be no more than 20-25 pages long, if it wasn't for redundancy. I've had many questions when the answer was no more than 2-3 posts above. I love to answer questions about our area, and help people out (as evidenced by my many hours of typing on this thread, and sometimes a little research to go with it), however, it would be great if people would try to at least read the last 4 or 5 pages. There's not a lot about Tampa that hasn't been covered at least once in this thread, and some items multiples of times. If I was bored or had the time, I'd like to go through this thread and catalog the post numbers of various topics (like an index) and and the host to post it as a sticky note at the top of page 1 (I guess people would come to the last post and not see it though).

katie286 - Thanks for the review! I love it when people come back to the thread and give updates and reviews.

Ken

katie, thanks for the great review of the hotel...you've got my wife and me seriously considering staying there before our Inspiration cruise. Since we'll be flying in we're planning on picking up some Cokes and (hopefully) some rum and Bailey's to go with the free punch and coffee onboard. Were there any places near the hotel where we could pick up these things?

Hi doughboy...you can get the coke at the shell station on the corner. As for the Rum and Baileys, the hotel shuttle will take you anywhere within 2 miles. Just ask them where a liquor store is and they will get you there. It's that easy!!:) You won't regret staying there.

Suncoastgirl - I see that you are encountering frustrations similar to mine, in that many people ask, but don't read what's already here. I dare say that this thread would be no more than 20-25 pages long, if it wasn't for redundancy. I've had many questions when the answer was no more than 2-3 posts above. I love to answer questions about our area, and help people out (as evidenced by my many hours of typing on this thread, and sometimes a little research to go with it), however, it would be great if people would try to at least read the last 4 or 5 pages. There's not a lot about Tampa that hasn't been covered at least once in this thread, and some items multiples of times. If I was bored or had the time, I'd like to go through this thread and catalog the post numbers of various topics (like an index) and and the host to post it as a sticky note at the top of page 1 (I guess people would come to the last post and not see it though).

katie286 - Thanks for the review! I love it when people come back to the thread and give updates and reviews.

Ken

Suncoastgirl...doughboy was just asking me because I stayed there recently. Honestly, I don't mind answering the question as it was asked to me. You can always not reply to someone if you have already answered a question similiar. You do have that choice.

Kracker Ken...I was very happy to post a review. I've gotten so much help from this thread, along with other threads at CC that it was my turn to help someone!:)

suncoastgirl - I had read your previous post dealing with picking up items near Springhill Suites and saw that the closest package stores were by Wal-Mart on Kennedy Blvd. I was looking for some confirmation from katie because yesterday when I called the hotel they told me that the shuttle would only go to the malls and when I asked specifically they said the shuttle would not go to Wal-Mart. I figured that katie (having just been there and having made use of the shuttle system) would be able to provide me with some specific details as to how useful the shuttle would be for us so I can plan accordingly.

I have read through many pages of this thread looking for information and do appreciate the contributions by yourself, Cracker Ken, and all the others who've chipped in here. I'm sorry if my desire to get some clarification here made you feel like your efforts aren't appreciated.

katie - Thanks for the response (and defense). I was probably just dealing with an over-worked desk clerk who didn't have all the correct information. Looks like our decision is made.....now to just run it by my DW. ;)

Doughboy...Have a wonderful time!! I don't see why they wouldn't take you to a liquor store or a Walgreens since they took us down the road to the Steak and Ale (which is across the street and down a very little further) from the Waldgreens. They just dropped us off and returned whe we called. If you by chance go to dinner there, you could always cross over to the stores and have them pick you up there.

Just to warn you, there was a brand of water at the Shell station, Zepheryillas (something like that) that didn't taste good. We bought it and brought it on the ship, but I used the water from the ship next to the juice machines instead. That was much better tasting.:)

I just wanted to apologize to everyone. I did not mean to sound frustrated or upset when I replied to Doughboy77. I will think more carefully before posting next time. I should have replied like Ken and said that many times their questions are answered in just a few posts before theirs. Again, I am sorry.

I just wanted to apologize to everyone. I did not mean to sound frustrated or upset when I replied to Doughboy77. I will think more carefully before posting next time. I should have replied like Ken and said that many times their questions are answered in just a few posts before theirs. Again, I am sorry.

No need to apologize. :)

• 2 weeks later...

josie1968 - Yes, I've stayed there before. The company I work for has an office on the opposite end of Rocky Point Drive to the South. I was out there this afternoon. It's your usual Holiday Inn Express. Nice place. Clean and quiet. Decent free breakfast. There is a free computer in the lobby where you can log-on to web based e-mail or just surf the net for a bit. It sits right on the water. Rocky Point is a relatively quiet place. Not much traffic on the side street leading up to the hotel. There's a good place to eat right next door, Bahama Breeze. It joins the parking lot, so no car or shuttle needed. There's a Landry's Seafood up on Courtney Campbell Causeway just around the corner, but it might be good to talk the hotel shuttle van driver into taking you around there if needed - unless you like walking a lot. Bahama Breeze is very good though. I've eaten there several times.

Ken