Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

Oh no! I plan a cruise and Tampa gets invaded by pirates!:eek:

I should have remembered, it happened when we sailed the Miracle from Tampa. That time we were staying with relatives, so it didn't affect us.

We have a group of 8 this time, so the relatives can't accomodate us.

kcparrothead - The Intercontinental Hotel is on the SW corner of W Kennedy Blvd and Westshore Blvd. There is a Walgreen's on the NE corner of the intersection. The Westshore Plaza Mall is on the NW corner. There is a Don Shula's Steakhouse in the hotel building - expensive, but worth every penny of it. There is a Steak and Ale restaurant on Westshore in front of the mall, and two restaurants and a food court at the mall. One of the restaurants is Maggiano's Italian. You can easily walk to all of this, as everything is just across the street.

This hotel was built as a Sheraton. It later changed to Westin, and is now Intercontinental. It's in the Westshore Business District and close to the airport. It's about 8 miles from the cruise terminal (about $20 for a taxi). Very nice place, always has been. Half the large building is an office tower, the other half a hotel.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Our group is condsidering Holiday Inn Express @ Rocky Point. How is the area there? Is this a nice hotel? It offers us everything we are looking for such as transportation from airport to hotel, from hotel to pier, from pier to airport, free parking, and a hot breakfast, so I am hoping is in a good spot. How far is this hotel from downtown or channelside?

Thanks for your help.

Linda

linsue1231 - The Holiday Inn Express hotel at Rocky Point is fine. It's like almost all of the others in that chain. It was recently repainted on the outside - not sure if refurbed inside. I've stayed there before - no problem. My co-workers have also stayed there (our office is down the block). The area consists of nice and modern office buildings, other hotels, and some restaurants. It's quiet out there at night. There's a good restaurant next door, Bahama Breeze (it sits between Holiday Inn Express and Chase Suites). Landry's Seafood is just around the corner. It's a nice atmosphere out there. It's about 2-3 miles W of the airport, and 9 miles from the pier (Channelside) and downtown.

Ken

We stayed at the Spring hill suites , Merriot . Cheap, 6 of us in room, EZ car rental was 300 yds down the road, drove the kids over to Busch Gardens and out to beaches for couple days pre cruise. Cab to pier day of cruise. Clean and no complaints. Large mall next door and food.

We just booked here a week ago for our Carnival Inspiration cruise that leaves 2/25/08 -- we were able to use rewards points so the room is costing about $12 in taxes per night. I'm glad to hear the good reviews about this place -- love this board!

Also, I noticed that most of the places that we have rewards points for won't let you book any farther than 30 days out... that's why we went with Priority Club (Holiday Inn).

I haven't stayed there recently, but I know the hotel and area. I've stayed there and attended conferences there in the past. The hotel has been there under 2 or 3 names for years. A while back it was refurbished and changed to Sheraton. It's on the river downtown. I've never been to a ratty Sheraton Hotel.

I'm to the point that I don't even pay attention to "mixed reviews." There are a lot of self appointed "blue bloods" out there that seem to be obsessive perfectionist, or else have an axe to grind, hence the "mixed reviews" we sometimes encounter. There are people who would gripe about a 5* hotel like the Ritz. If you got this hotel for $85 a night, you have a good deal, for sure. Holiday Inn Express costs more than that around Tampa.

Ken

Ken sounds like you are the "go-to man" for Tampa Info ....my daughter and I are driving in to Tampa March 15 ....staying overnite at the Wingate by Wyndham on E. Fowler Ave. Is that a safe area and do you know if the hotel is decent ? My big concern was safety and it being clean ..and how far away from the carnival terminal ? How long would it take us to get there from this hotel? Thanks for your help. Callie

Callie - It's 10 miles from the Wingate to the pier. This is up on the N end of Tampa. That hotel looks to be a nice place. I drive by there frequently. It's not too bad of an area on that section of Fowler. There is a mall to the W on Fowler, and numerous places to eat nearby. After dark, use good judgment and be careful, as in all metro areas. The residential areas to the N. and S of the Fowler business district aren't so good. The location of your hotel, the LaQuinta, and Embassy Suites near USF are in an OK area and it's clean around there. The Wingate isn't a very old hotel either. Time flies, but I don't think it's much more than 2 yrs old. This hotel is also close to Busch Gardens, which is located at 30th St and Busch Blvd.

Ken

I know others will disagree with me, BUT, The Westshore is an old Best Western that lost it's franchise. The location is next door to a 'gentlemans' club (strip joint). I would NOT stay there.

I like Doubletree Westshore which will give you an excellent bed, free transport to/from airport/cruiseport and free parking.

If the rates are stiff for your time period (I'm paying $89 this coming week) try going through buyreservations.com. I haved used them in the past and the rate was good. They send you a voucher and the hotel took it, no problem, gave me a room in my choice of area.

I have not read through all these pages yet but thought I might ask anyway. We are flying into Tampa and have a reservation for Extended Stay Deluxe on Westshore Blvd. It says it has been all renovated. We got a discount so it was a really good price. Is this an ok place to stay for 1 night? Does anyone know if they have a shuttle from airport and maybe to the port? Thanks!:D