Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

The Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North is a perfect choice. It is in a nice area and only minutes from Busch Gardens. It is not near the cruise terminals but that is probably not a problem. You can find it on Google if you type in "Hilton Garden Inn Tampa North".

We are booked at Hampton Inn Rocky Point at $179 for 4 people in one room pre cruise. I called today to see about pre booking the port shuttle & I think the girl said we could not make a reservation until check in, but there was a small language barrier going on, so I am not sure. I also asked, on their web site, it says $129 for the cruise package, plus $10 more per person, so why am I paying $179 instead of $149? She said that the rate was higher in January. OK, no problem, but I will call back again, because it was not an easy conversation.

well we are already booked at the double tree. (3 rooms) I guess I will have to break down and call them.

We stayed there 2 years ago(not that it helps) before your cruise and left our car in the lot and they took us to the port and planned on doing it again this year in March. let me know what they say but I think they are still taking people to the port. They also pick you up!

SallyB: Right now we are booked @ Hampton/Rocky Pt. @ supposed Military Rate @ $99 but w/shuttle pkg. it's $159 for early Feb.. Looks like your 4 ppl rate is right but we must not have spec. rate! I'm pretty sure we'll be staying pre-cruise w/friends 1 hr. S. of Tampa but haven't cancelled yet. They are very difficult to communicate w/even without language barrier! Could not get a confirm. / e-mail from Reserv. Mgr. & never did receive snail mail from her or a 2nd girl. Finally got a 2nd shift girl who confirmed our reserv. & shuttle. I got the same story about booking the shuttle early! Not the same easy process nor lower rate as we're used to in PC. Frustrating!

winncove,

I went to Hampton Inn web site and saw our reservation. Have not gotten anything from the hotel itself except verbal confirmation number, but I'm OK with that since it works on the web site.

They also say that they have a local shuttle, I suppose they will take you to the mall or any place close by.

Does anyone know if there is a place to purchase a few bottles of wine to take onboard within the shuttle limits?

Thanks!

Sally

The Hampton Inn at Rocky Point does indeed have a shuttle. I see it out there frequently when I'm going to and from my office. It shuttles for both Hampton Inn and the Holiday Inn Express (I think the same organization owns both, and they are next to each other).

For wine, etc, the closest place I can think of, which might be in range of the shuttle, is Walgreens located at Kennedy Blvd and Westshore Blvd.

I think the shuttle primarily goes between the hotels and the airport, but the area of Walgreens isn't too far out of the way.

Ken

Thanks, Ken!

Where we live, Walgreens doesn't sell wine. I would never have thought of it!

The Hampton Property looks nice, probably could go less expensive without the cruise packakge, but it's nice to have it included so we don't have to worry about trying to get cabs.

Sally

Many of the Walgreen stores sell liquor down here. I would have to take a look to be positive, but I think the one I mentioned does. If not, there is a Wal-Mart on Dale Mabry Highway just N. of I-275, same side of town. The shuttle driver probably knows of a place you can buy wine too.

Ken

Has anyone recently stayed at the Ocean Sky Hotel? I have seen that a few others are booked to stay here in the future...... I love that it is at the beach, we will be in Fort Lauderdale for 3 days so that looked nice. We will have a car also and I just heard they charge for valet parking?? Is there anywhere else close to park? I reserved this hotel for $109 a night but I also have a reservation for Laquinta in Hollywood. Like I said I just kinda like the look of this one because of it being on the beach with a pool for the kids.....

Thank You greatly,

Ummmm Oh I see because it is hotels for Tampa.......I must of got confused on which thread I was on maybe...I am flying into Tampa Sunday and then my family and I are flying into Lauderdale first of April. So I have been looking into stuff for both:D

oops.....LOL

SallyB: Right now we are booked @ Hampton/Rocky Pt. @ supposed Military Rate @ $99 but w/shuttle pkg. it's $159 for early Feb.. Looks like your 4 ppl rate is right but we must not have spec. rate! I'm pretty sure we'll be staying pre-cruise w/friends 1 hr. S. of Tampa but haven't cancelled yet. They are very difficult to communicate w/even without language barrier! Could not get a confirm. / e-mail from Reserv. Mgr. & never did receive snail mail from her or a 2nd girl. Finally got a 2nd shift girl who confirmed our reserv. & shuttle. I got the same story about booking the shuttle early! Not the same easy process nor lower rate as we're used to in PC. Frustrating!

winncove,

Called again, was told by a second person that you can't reserve the port shuttle until check in. Also found out that the first shuttle is at 11 am.

winncove,

Called again, was told by a second person that you can't reserve the port shuttle until check in. Also found out that the first shuttle is at 11 am.

Hi SallyB. We were torn between the Hampton Inn where you'll be or the Holiday Inn Express across the causeway (I believe). We decided on the Holiday Inn as we could walk next door to the Bahama Breeze for dinner, and our plane doesn't get in until 6:30 PM on 1/26 as it is.

The HIE also offers a cruise package at $179, but I booked AAA rate of $143 instead, and figure that a cab ride shouldn't cost more than $36 bucks and we can leave when we want. Hopefully it won't be too extremely hard to get a cab to take us to the port.

I know you've been through this, and mentioned you wanted to make sure you had transportation by booking the package. Do you think it will be hard to get a cab? Maybe I should switch to the package if it would be hassle. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Hi SallyB. We were torn between the Hampton Inn where you'll be or the Holiday Inn Express across the causeway (I believe). We decided on the Holiday Inn as we could walk next door to the Bahama Breeze for dinner, and our plane doesn't get in until 6:30 PM on 1/26 as it is.

The HIE also offers a cruise package at $179, but I booked AAA rate of $143 instead, and figure that a cab ride shouldn't cost more than $36 bucks and we can leave when we want. Hopefully it won't be too extremely hard to get a cab to take us to the port.

You may be close enough to walk to Bahama Breeze but be prepared to wait up to 2 hours for a seat! That place was SO busy we gave up and got take out and took it to our room (we were at Chase Suites). Even take out took 1/2 hr. to get.

As for taking the shuttle, they may let you book a shuttle at the airport (even though you haven't paid for that package) if there's room in the van. They might charge you $5 a person but that's still cheaper and easier. Chances are they will just let you get on with the rest. Don't make a big deal about the fact that you didn't book that "deal" and just go back to the desk after you've settled in (or call from your room) and ask to be included on the XX a.m. shuttle (whichever you prefer) to the port. Worth a shot.

Did y'all know that these two hotels are right next door to each other, and both next to the Bahama Breeze? That's right. There's nothing at all between those hotels. Both are on Rocky Point to the N. of Causeway. Also, the SAME shuttle van services BOTH hotels.

Landry's Seafood is on Causeway a block E of Rocky Point. You could probably con the shuttle guy into taking you around there. Bahama Breeze isn't always crazy, but Friday and Saturday nights can be a mess, for sure. There's a casual seafood joint at the Radisson which is a block W of Rocky Point, S. side of the road.

Ken

schndr,

I looked at HIE too. I just liked the looks of Hampton better- we are 4 in a room. Also, Hampton has the local shuttle, maybe HIE does too, but we will be in early enough to take advantage of that and also to get to Bahama Breeze for an early dinner.

From our roll call, there are others driving and staying at Hampton, lets go over to the roll call and set up some meet & greets, both in Tampa and on Legend!:D

Cracker Ken,

Thanks for the heads up on Landry's, you've been a big help in planning our pre cruise stay in Tampa. Last time, we stayed with parents in Zephyrhills, but we have too many people for them to keep us this time. We are hoping they might come to Tampa for dinner.:cool:

Ken,

You know, for some reason I thought the Hampton Inn was across the highway (which might be difficult to cross.) I was a little leery about shuttles, as I've read in other posts that sometimes they stop running at a certain time? I guess I don't travel enough places relying on other local transportation other than a car!

This area isn't too far to expect cab service to the port, is it? I'm not worried about saving the $$ by taking a shuttle, rather than looking to be able to leave when I'd like on Sunday morning.

As for food, we probably won't get to the hotel until 7:30 PM at the earliest on Saturday, and when you're tired enough, even a pizza or chinese delivery will suffice. We'll have to wing it.

sallyb,

Just saw your post (came in while I was typing mine!). I checked Hampton Inn again, and I can get a AAA rate of $119 (vs. $143 at HIE). I've stayed at Hampton Inns before, and liked them. Thinking about switching my reservation. Talk to you over on roll call.

No, taxi from Rocky Point to the port is not a problem. It's $20-$25 to the port from the airport. Rocky Point is a few miles further away from the port. Maybe $30? Not bad. You also have an option like Bay Shuttle if you have a bigger crew needing transport to the port.

Again - please note - The shuttle for the Hampton Inn and the Holiday Inn Express is the SAME van. Both hotels signs are on the SAME shuttle van. The same van/driver services both hotels. I saw it as recently as last week. These property join each other, and I think the same organization is behind the ownership.

BTW - The Holiday Inn Express is a nice place. I've stayed there overnight. They just recently refurbed the outside. Hampton looks like it's fine too. The skyline is changing out there at Rocky Point. On the property between the Hampton/HIE and Courtney Campbell Causeway, they are putting up a high rise condo/hotel building. The cranes are there now, and the building is on the way up. Also in the planning stages is a new Ritz Carlton Resort that's going to take up the ground where the Radission is presently located. There are no stores or fast food joints on Rocky Point. Just hotels, office buildings, and a few more expensive places. When I'm at the office on Friday and some of us want to go somewhere away from the building for lunch, we have to leave the island and go elsewhere (or else blow more money than we want to).

Ken

OH I forgot....how is the Dale Mabry area?
It is very congested. It is a main north south 8 lane road. I would pick aother area to stay. It is strip centers and shops. It is a PITA. There are many nicer areas to stay for not much more money.