Grand Cayman w/ 1 & 3 yo - whats to do?

sas80

Anyone? I'm finding a lot of water related tours which would work but are not ideal for us.

I'm hoping someone has done a fun land based tour they can reccomend.

Does anyone know the "sights" to see while you are on GC?

I know that there is 7 mile beach but we are stopping in Labadee (beach day) and we plan on doing the Dolphins and Chankanaab (sp!) in Cozumel and I didnt want to make the entire trip about going to beaches, so I am looking for advice.

Thanks!

We've made many land-based trips to Grand Cayman, but only one with our two-year old son and he was just six weeks old at the time so not really into activities yet! But, we're cruising there in a couple of weeks and are planning on taking him to Stingray City to swim with the stingrays. There is a new park at the old Turtle Farm called Boatswain's Beach. We're going to do that on our second Grand Cayman day. There are places to pet turtles, a nature trail, predator tank, and aviary. We haven't been there before, but friends have and they enjoyed it.

The town right off the tender dock is easily walkable, if you just want to "ramble" about. There's also a "photo op" tour where you go to Hell---(the name of the place!!) I'm not sure the 1 and 3 year old would appreciate swimming with stingrays....I wouldn't have!

Can't really help with non-beach things---the beaches are why we go to the Caribbean!

sas80, my kids are older than yours, but we were just in Grand Cayman on a land vacation in June 2008. My 5 year old really enjoyed the turtle farm Wicketsmom mentioned-- Botswain's Beach.

On a previous trip when my kids were younger, they enjoyed the Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park, but we didn't visit it this last trip.

I completely forgot about the (ever so controversial (thank you cruisinmamma) ) turtle farm! That would be a GREAT idea!

Has anyone taken this tour either independently or thru their cruise line? For either scenario, could you please tell me what you visited as part of the overall tour? I'm the type who prefers independent tours, especially with young children.

Thanks for all your input!

We just returned from our cruise on the Carnival Freedom and a visit to Grand Cayman with our 17 month old.

We did the trip out to Stingray City and loved it - the baby loved it as well. She loved the boat ride, her time floating in her baby float and swimming with the stingrays, she touched one and loved it!

After our time in the water we spent about two hours at Rum Point Beach - it is stunning and perfect for little ones...very shallow for a long ways out....my little one loved it!

I would not hesitate to at all to do it with kids. Our day was perfect and she was the star of our boat!

We used Nativeway (Rays, Reef & Rum Tour) and the Captain is the best!

We just returned from our cruise on the Carnival Freedom and a visit to Grand Cayman with our 17 month old.

We did the trip out to Stingray City and loved it - the baby loved it as well. She loved the boat ride, her time floating in her baby float and swimming with the stingrays, she touched one and loved it!

After our time in the water we spent about two hours at Rum Point Beach - it is stunning and perfect for little ones...very shallow for a long ways out....my little one loved it!

I would not hesitate to at all to do it with kids. Our day was perfect and she was the star of our boat!

We used Nativeway (Rays, Reef & Rum Tour) and the Captain is the best!

We did this also and loved it- but it wasn't rum point on this trip just sting rays and snorkeling. We have rented a jeep and gone to Rum Point on our own a couple of times and it is very quiet if you get there early and just plain beautiful!

Anyway- we are taking some friends on their first cruise next week. But we have a 1.5 year old now- he is pretty go with the flow outside. I wondered if it was doable with such a little one?

Do you remember the cost and what they charge for adults/kids/baby- and maybe a person that doesn't get into the water?- the mom won't get into the water-

Was this through the boat or on your own?

Thanks

We booked it on our own - they charged us $ 57.50 for each person over 10 - and that included the lunch. Our 17 month old was free.

It was well worth the price for us. I did get in the water, and my baby girl loved it. We took turns once we snorkeled at the reef and then for the starfish. But she enjoyed the whole day immensely, especially the boat ride and Rum Point Beach. I had heard it can be crowded but it wasn't at all when we were there. We loved it.

Archived