Why don't the cruise lines go to Cancun?

Duncarob

Way back in the day, NCL's Skyward called on Cancun. It was a tender port and the anchorage was quite a distance out (not nearly as bad as Belize though).

That's a good question. Our 1st cruise was on NCL Dreamward and we went to Cancun. That was 15 yrs ago, but I don't think have seen it on any itineraries since then. We really had a good time there too.

We were scheduled to go to Cancun five years ago on the Norwegian Sea and missed it. Found out later that it was a VERY common to skip Cancun. Like, Grand Cayman, it is a render-only port, and seas conditions had to be "just so". I spoke to a crew member that told me they missed Cancun probably 50% of the time.

The last ports of call for Cancun was in Oct 2005 right before Wilma hit. Since then there have not been any ships call there. I went there in 2004 on the NCL Dream. It was rough trying to get back on the ship as they were trying to unload on the windward side of the ship.

We were scheduled to go back to Cancun on the NCL Sun in Oct 2005. We ended up catching the backside of Wilma and had Cancun and Cozumel cancelled as ports of call.

If you are wanting to go to Cancun, then take the Holiday to Calica. The Fantasy will be calling there starting in Nov 2009 when she goes to Mobile. Carnival offers a shopping excursion to the city or you can negotiate with a cab driver for an all day tour. Car rental is also available at the port.

Dave

Archived