Do I need to bring an iron???

naomee15

I have been on 3 NCL cruises (Dawn, Spirit & Jade) also HAL Rotterdam and Noordam. I have brought my travel Iron everytime - I have never hid it and I have never had a problem. I usually use the little desk area in the stateroom with a towel and usually things just need a touch up. Just because you are cruising "freestyle" you don't have to look like a wrinkled mess (as some folks do). If you are smart enough to unplug and hair dryer, curler iron etc. etc. You should have no problem with a travel iron. Enjoy your cruise - some of the folks you would never think of taking a iron on board have absolutely no problem smuggling on liquor.. Don't be hypocritical just be smart. Enjoy your trip:)

Now you are assuming that people are actually that intelligent.

Irons are not allowed and that should be enough for people not to bring one - the analogy of liquor misses the mark as I don't know many that have been injured by liquor on board.

There are plenty of ways not to be a "wrinkled mess" and I get a bit aggravated by those that willfully ignore the rules. I would bet that there is not one person on here that hasn't driven away from their house thinking "did I turn the iron off?" ........... I have yet to drive away thinking "did I put the cap back on my liquor bottle ;)".

For those of us who prefer the freshly-pressed look even on vacation (yes, each to his/her own), I highly recommend a travel steamer. I like mine so much I use it at home whenever I need a quick touch up. It works great on hard to iron items (jackets, sweaters) and sure beats hauling out the iron and ironing board for one little annoying crease. I bought mine, which is about the size of a thermal coffee cup, at a travel store for about $30 US.

Now you are assuming that people are actually that intelligent.

Irons are not allowed and that should be enough for people not to bring one - the analogy of liquor misses the mark as I don't know many that have been injured by liquor on board.

There are plenty of ways not to be a "wrinkled mess" and I get a bit aggravated by those that willfully ignore the rules. I would bet that there is not one person on here that hasn't driven away from their house thinking "did I turn the iron off?" ........... I have yet to drive away thinking "did I put the cap back on my liquor bottle ;)".

First of all (as I said earlier) I have always taken my TRAVEL iron and always left it out in plain sight and it has never been confiscated. As for my liquor analogy what about the idiots who drink way too much - are loud and obnoxious and occasionally try something really stupid like climbing over a balcony because their judgment is impaired. Also why are people allowed to smoke in their stateroom how do you know someone won't leave a cigarette smouldering? :eek:

Leave the iron. Its only needed if you want to make grilled cheese sandwiches in your stateroom.

An electrical fire on board the ship is no trifling matter. that's why they're not allowed. Comparing bringing an iron with smuggling booze is simply silly.

Endangering a ship full of people because of wrinkled clothing is incomprehensible. The selfishness of of such is immeasurable.

First of all (as I said earlier) I have always taken my TRAVEL iron and always left it out in plain sight and it has never been confiscated. As for my liquor analogy what about the idiots who drink way too much - are loud and obnoxious and occasionally try something really stupid like climbing over a balcony because their judgment is impaired. Also why are people allowed to smoke in their stateroom how do you know someone won't leave a cigarette smouldering? :eek:

The same people who complain about smouldering cigarettes in ash trays will be the same people who attempt to iron a shirt on a table with only a flammable towel as an ironing board. Or their bed with only a flammable sheet as an ironing board. They always forget the ash tray and never mention they aren't using fire retardant materials for their make shift ironing board.

The same people who complain about smouldering cigarettes in ash trays will be the same people who attempt to iron a shirt on a table with only a flammable towel as an ironing board. Or their bed with only a flammable sheet as an ironing board. They always forget the ash tray and never mention they aren't using fire retardant materials for their make shift ironing board.

Oh - you are so correct ash trays are definitely fire retardant:rolleyes: I am guessing that You are a smoker??

Oh - you are so correct ash trays are definitely fire retardant:rolleyes: I am guessing that You are a smoker??

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/06/28/earlyshow/living/home/main626380.shtml

From this CBS news story, only 30 percent of bedroom mattress fires are from smokers who fell asleep, one wonder where the other 70 percent of bedroom fires began. More than twice as many......

Candles, heaters, and appliances....... Such as irons?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/06/28/earlyshow/living/home/main626380.shtml

From this CBS news story, only 30 percent of bedroom mattress fires are from smokers who fell asleep, one wonder where the other 70 percent of bedroom fires began. More than twice as many......

Candles, heaters, and appliances....... Such as irons?

Boy you certainly are obnoxious!

Not quite sure how this get off subject with the exception of the acknowledgement that it's OK to break rules if they are YOUR rules.

As to the drunks going overboard, I'm not sure that impacts me as much ar your iron can.

I've heard that an iron could get you a trip to the "Naughty room" to get your luggage. I always bring a steamer and have never been called. :D I usually put plastic bags, like you get at the cleaners or when you buy a new dress or suit, over my dress clothes in my garment bag and they come out fine.

Huh? I

Why is this any more of a hazard on a ship than a creaky old hotel, or at home for that matter?

There are no fire trucks out in the middle of the ocean. And no ships sailing alongside that could put out the fire. And if you jump off the ship there are no ambulances coming anytime soon to pick you up.

Irons are considered fire hazards aboard a ship. You are welcomed to use the ship's laundry's pressing service. I believe its a dollar per item, and the item returns folded nicely.

You might wish to watch the video in my signature below how to pack your clothes in bundles, avoiding wrinkles. Its very interesting.....

Hey Don, that is a great video. We're going to try to make it for a week with just carry on this time. Did it one other time...it was great. I don't need to take 8 pr. of shoes anyway. My packing style has been "rolling" but I'm going to give your method a try. The hard part will be trying to figure out what toiletries to take because of the air regs. Thanks for sharing....also, I'm going to leave my travel iron at home. :)

Hey Don' date=' that is a great video. We're going to try to make it for a week with just carry on this time. Did it one other time...it was great. I don't need to take 8 pr. of shoes anyway. My packing style has been "rolling" but I'm going to give your method a try. The hard part will be trying to figure out what toiletries to take because of the air regs. Thanks for sharing....also, I'm going to leave my travel iron at home. :)[/quote']

While its not rolling exactly, packing in a bundle like fashion as the video shows does provide a similar effect. The key is to cushion your clothes while packing.... and to avoid placing heavy items on top....

I do the bundle packing also and it works great for me and most of my clothing is cotton which I ironed prior to packing. I pack the day before leaving and unpack as early as I can so wrinkles are minimized. DS uses the "I'll just send it to the cleaners on board" method which works for him :D

Irons and candles are felt to be the most likely causes of fires in the passenger areas. I'm sure they have done studies and found this to be the case. This is why they don't allow candles on the entire ship and they provide pressing services or an iron & board at your request. Why carry an iron if you can borrow one with luggage limitations on the airlines anyway?

Fire is the most dangerous thing that can happen on board a ship. It doesn't take long for a fire to get out of control. And you need to remember that to put out a fire they use water - which will cause the ship to sink. The ship generally doesn't burn up, it sinks from the weight of the water used to extinguish the fire.

We sailed on the Sky on 5/11. I asked my TA about ironing and she said NCL would provide one if needed but she recommended their laundry/pressing service. I did call to request an iron when we got to our state room the first day and was told that irons were not allowed and that I could get my clothes pressed and back before 5pm same day. The first night they offered 50% off all pressing only. We did use the pressing service however I had to call at 6pm to beg them to bring my clothes to our state room as we had a 6:15 pm dinner reservation. With the 50% off coupon it was under $10.00 for four days for six items to be pressed.

Archived