Days at Sea...

Scenic cruising means you are at sea, and passing something that most people consider scenic. For instance, many Alaskan cruises spend a day in Glacier Bay. Passengers cannot get off the shp there, but many consider it the best day of the cruise.

When days are listed as "scenic cruising," are those really days at sea? As in no docking...? I get the "scenic" part means gorgeous scenery! :-) I'm just trying to get a handle on a day I could do some laundry, take a class, yadda yadda.

Thanks!

You wouldn't want to be doing your laundry *during* the scenic cruising or you will miss a lot! If you are going to be in Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm, etc. your itinerary should list the hours of this cruising so you won't miss it. The rest of the day is just at sea and a better time to do your laundry.

Scenic cruising is a great part of the overall experience. Typically its things like Fjords, glaciers, famous waterways like the Dardenelles, etc.

Our cabin is forward starboard...will we want to plan ahead to be on deck for most of the day, or will our balcony have the same views? I'm not usually so much of a planner, but I hate to miss a thing!!! :D

You should have great views from your balcony but do arrange to spend some of the scenic time up on deck. If there is an observation lounge at the top of the ship that is also a good choice. Have a super cruise!!

Our cabin is forward starboard...will we want to plan ahead to be on deck for most of the day, or will our balcony have the same views? I'm not usually so much of a planner, but I hate to miss a thing!!! :D

Don't forget that the ships don't travel very quickly, and where the view is "scenic", they may go even slower. So, wherever you are, if you spot something and think "I reckon that would look even better from the other side/right at the top of the ship/from the back/etc", you'll likely have time to get there.

That's what we did through the Panama Canal recently, spent most of the really interesting bits walking round watching from different viewpoints.

Archived