Victoria Chinatown?

I just came accross a picture of the main gate for Chinatown in Victoria. Would love to go there. Anyone have any information on it? Is it located within easy access to the cruise ship terminals? We are on one of the redirected cruises from Mexico & couldn't be more excited about this new itinerary! However, all the research on Mexico that we have done over the past many months is now in the garbage. We are scrambling for ideas for this new itinerary. Actually, our group is more excited about this PNW itinerary than it was over the Mexican Riviera:D

Any advice & information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Victoria's chinatown is within walking distance of the Inner Harbour but aside from the lovely entrance there's not much there. It's really only a couple of blocks long, however, if you like poking about in their shops it is fun!

This might help a bit.

It is not a large area but does have some interesting history and quaint shops. It is also

close to all other downtown attractions so should be easy to fit into your day.

http://tourismvictoria.com/search.aspx?cx=009372421187388657697:a1yd7xjidke&cof=FORID:11&ie=UTF-8&q=chinatown&sa=Search#1102

There is also an interesting exhibit at the Royal BC Museum with many items on loan

from the British Museum, if you are into that kind of thing.

http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/MainSite/default.aspx

I just came accross a picture of the main gate for Chinatown in Victoria. Would love to go there. Anyone have any information on it? Is it located within easy access to the cruise ship terminals? We are on one of the redirected cruises from Mexico & couldn't be more excited about this new itinerary! However, all the research on Mexico that we have done over the past many months is now in the garbage. We are scrambling for ideas for this new itinerary. Actually, our group is more excited about this PNW itinerary than it was over the Mexican Riviera:D

Any advice & information would be greatly appreciated!

The "Gates of Harmonious Interest" are located at the corner of Government St and Fisgard St. Walking would take about 1/2 hour, or alternately the #30 or #31 bus leave from outside the cruise terminal (on your left is the bus stop, don't cross the st) and take you within a block away on Douglas St (just tell the driver you want off at Fisgard).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Ogden+Point&daddr=fisgard+%26+Government,+victoria+bc&hl=en&geocode=CTgTrU56_Tc_FZvH4gIdPzil-CGtJPw3zckYzw%3B&mra=pe&mrcr=0&dirflg=w&sll=48.421853,-123.378439&sspn=0.033094,0.090981&ie=UTF8&ll=48.41798,-123.374748&spn=0.033097,0.090981&z=14

If you're going to Chinatown and you are a tea drinker (or are looking for a gift for a tea drinker), then I'd recommend you check out Silk Road Tea Company. It's on Government Street, right next to the Gates. They have a wide variety of loose teas - green, black, white, etc. - as well as beautiful tea pots and tea accessories. It's where I always buy my tea.

Each kind of tea is in it's own big tin and you scoop out how much you want into smaller tins. And they usually have a special tea of the day that you can sample. One of my favorite green teas is Gen Mai Cha (also known as the "popcorn" tea :)).

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/exhibits/timemach/galler02/frames/chinatown.htm This is a really interesting site, describing the history of Victoria's China town. It is possible to arrange walking tours through the area, lots of interesting little alleys. According to local legend, there are still opium dens operating under the streets in a myriad of tunnels. True or not, I don't know, but there was a thriving opium business in this area until the 1920's. It was legal, the Canadian gov't collected taxes. There is a parochial school still operating, an old age home and a variety of other businesses in addition to the interesting retail stores. You will fine Chinese pharmaceuticals and a Chinese Medical School as well. There is a thriving Chinese population here as well, although many have moved to other areas of town.

Archived