Toy Recommendations for the Cabin and DR

KerCar

I usually like to surprise the kids with a few new toys/books/activities the first day of the cruise, things they can use throughout the week to keep busy in the cabin and while waiting for dinner to arrive in the DR. In the past, I've done Elmer's Invisible Paints, flap books, small figurines, etc.

I'd love to hear some things that have worked well for all of you. DD is 3 and DS is 6. Thanks:)

When we first cruised, we bought our portable DVD player for the kids (then 2 and 7). It worked great when we were getting ready for dinner or waiting for our breakfast to arrive.

Other things we brought were etch-a-sketch, doodle boards, leap frog, operation, blocks, and a hop scotch set (folds up flat and easy to pack). And, of course, most of the time they colored with brand new coloring books and crayons.

"THe Machine" (what my 6 year old calls it) or DVD player works wonders. He is also into little figures (Pokemon, Star Wars) and matchbox cars. He will set up whole scenes and just be jabbering away in his own little world while we get ready. I always bring new coloring books and crayons also.

A tad bit pricey, but hours of fun Playmobile has some minature playsets that are all self-contained. They have a "take along" line where the box opens up to a house (or a castle or whatever theme) and there are small figurines and other stuff. They also have full sized "to go" sets which have carrying cases and car kits. They are kind of what Polly Pockets used to be when my DD was young! We've gotten two different sets for my neice (5YO) who travels a lot. They do have lots of little pieces, but that is the kind of thing that really seems to facinate some kids.

Dover Publications has Little Activity books -- sticker books, puzzle books, paper dolls, coloring books, etc - that are priced for a buck or two. They have a web site from which you can buy (look for "Little Activity books) and are also carried at a lot of the "school" stores or specialty children's book stores.

Some of the keychain toys work well for the 5-8YOs. We had a great time with the mini barrel of monkeys and Mr. Potato head (I also found Mrs. Potato head).

We have an iPod Nano (with video) that I upload lots of their favorite TV shows to. That and earphones have saved many a dinner. . . So much smaller and easier to transport than the DVD player - although that is a life saver in hotel rooms and in the car.

My then 4 year old played for a whole week with a set of poker chips and a deck of playing cards. He made up all kinds of games. My 11 year old needs his Nintendo DS, but I don't let that go to dinner. We always have matchbox cars. My boys love them. An inexpensive pair of binoculars is another great surprise on a cruise.

I always pack light sticks to hang in the bathroom at night. Just enough light so they can see what they are doing. . .

Have a great trip!

I'm not sure I have anything new to add, but our "travel bag" is right here, and this is the contents:

Doodle Pro, small light one with a clip

8 Little Little Golden books in a snack sz ziploc

Mini-figures, about 20 in a sandwich ziploc, disney+animals

Small post it notes

5 Small disney sticker and/or activity books

3 Dover activity books

Dot to dot game pad + pencils

Color wonder mini pad w/10 markers in qt sz ziploc

Color wonder book, regular sz

Disney Princess invisible ink activity book

Tick-Tac-Toe invisible ink book

Pooh sticker puzzle book

8 pk washable crayons

Portable DVD player w/dvd's

All contained in a small preschooler sized backpack that weighs just over 6 pounds total. I actually do make my 3 yr old carry this herself through the airport. She knows she can cut the weight in half by leaving the DVD player at home, and chooses to carry it. We have all this "stuff" for the plane ride and throughout the whole trip. I only bring a few story books for before bed in my luggage, no other toys.

Our "bag" is mostly disney themed because we've taken 3 WDW trips in a row. Since we are taking an Alaskan cruise next month, I'll be looking for whale/sled dog figures and any other Alaska related items I can find.

My teenage son is fine with just a paperback book and his PSP. Most of his music is on his cell phone, so he doesn't even "need" an ipod anymore. I wish my preschooler was so easy to entertain. ;)

I took my 4 and 6 year olds on our first cruise last year. Before we left I made them each a "cruise book." Basically I surfed the net for printable coloring pages, games, pictures of where we were going, etc. I put it together for each day of the trip, and included some pages from a little kid's travel journal I found. I also added things for their interests, for example it looked kind of like this:

Day 1: Airplane (picture of a plane)

Simple description of the day's activity. (Today we will fly to Miami. We will leave at breakfast and be there in time for dinner... etc)

Pictures of airplanes to color. Travel games. Coloring pages of their favorite characters. Blank pages and journal pages.

Day 2 Miami

description

Coloring pages of oranges, alligators, etc...

You get the basic idea. I had them spiral bound at Kinkos' and had them bind into them as the back a folder with velcro catch to store the crayons in.

It took some work and copying at first, but it gave them something to do every day of the cruise, answered a lot of questions, taught them about where we were going, and afterwards is an awesome reminder of our vacation. Plus very cheap and easy to pack....

I have two boys so I can help with that, besides the DVD player which is a MUST, we buy a brand new Matchbox "Pop-up" or "Expandable". They are self contained units that fold up like a mini suitcase (9-12" wide). They have a theme like a car wash, garage, police station, fast food drive through, etc. and have ramps and cars and everything you need to play and it all fits in and closes tight. You don't need to bring anything else when you go to dinner or etc. I buy one for each boy and when they are feeling happy, they share and make a city. For boys this is the best!

Archived