First time cruising

midlandcruiser

Hi all, so glad I've found his forum, so many questions already answered. I've booked for July 2010 on Island escape for family of 4 including 2 teenagers. We've never been on a cruise but the the kids will both have done the school cruise by the time we go on this one. Thanks to all who've posted photo's of the inside of the ship. I'm a real worrier and a few reviews are quite bad although I've noticed these are far out weighed by the good ones.

I don't want or expect 5 star but I do like cleanliness, as long as the cabin is clean i'll be happy, has anyone stayed in one the inside cabins deck 5/6 that sleeps 4, what are they like? also can anyone help with advice on evening dining, I know already that's informal but will the kids be ok in jeans and tshirts ? Or is it more casual trousers and shirts? Also is it a scramble for the excursions or are you easily accomodated on these, ie Rome/Florence/Monte Carlo?

Hi,

Really all the cabins are the same inside, it was just that ours had a balcony.

I 'm glad you liked the pics. Just so you know, cabins on ships will be smaller than a hotel room, but you're in there so little it's no trouble. WE like others only used it for sleeping, washing and crashing out before evening meals after a busy excursion.

It was always kept spotless.

Both restaurants are self service, the only difference is that the Beachcomber 24 hour is like a cafeteria where you get your own table and go to get the food. In the Other Main one the waiter seats you at a table and that is your spot for the meal till you finish and you go and get the food. The food was fine in both.

The boys will be fine in T shirts and jeans in either restaurant.

If you ate in the one where you can pay a bit extra for A La Carte the people we saw usuing it dressed up a bit.

A couple of good threads on here were deleted because some spammer started posting rubbish and it was the only way they could get rid of him.

So if you need more just ask.

I'd look on the Thomson's Ports of call page online and see the excursions for the ports you're visiting and rough prices and then book any ones you fancy soon after boarding. http://www.thomsonbeach.co.uk/th/cruise/viewPorts.do

They do an excursions sales patter show onboard, but you can book at the excursions part of the reception desk on deck 5 .

Berwyn

Thanks, very excited already and still 15 months to go. I can't believe I'm going to Rome the furthest I normally go is Devon(not that there's anything wrong with that).

You can't beat a good holday down in Devon/ Somerset or Dorset. WE had some great ones down there over the years.

As you might have seen we've already booked for October next year for our 30th wedding anniversary. :eek:.

WE're flying from Rome on the cruise in 3 weeks.:eek::D, but we won't see it. It'll be straight from Rome airport to ship. :(.

We should have cruised and been back home by now but at end of last year one of the firms who owned Island Cruises sold their share in the company and the other sip and our cruise got sold in the deal.

SO that's why we're going with RCI this time and not Thomsons on the Island Star (that is no more).

Berwyn

Archived