Transportation on the Amalfi Coast

DoniaG

I'm starting a new thread with these questions because I was getting extremely OT in the previous one about tendering procedures.

Can someone please tell me what kinds of vehicles Celebrity contracts with for the drive down the Amalfi coast. We'll be on Summit beginning June 15th. The "exclusive" tours evidently take vans, but is that also the case with the less expensive tours that don't include Pompeii? I've never been as sick in my life as I was on a tour bus on that road - must have been all the three point turns required! I've also been to Pompeii in the summer. Magnificent as it is (and it shouldn't be missed by anyone who hasn't visited), it's just too hot.

And does anyone have experience with taking a hydrofoil from Naples to Positano and then coming back to Naples on the Circumvesuviano train? I posted this question on the Ports of Call board, but didn't get much response.

Thanks for your help!

Donia

I'm starting a new thread with these questions because I was getting extremely OT in the previous one about tendering procedures.

Can someone please tell me what kinds of vehicles Celebrity contracts with for the drive down the Amalfi coast. We'll be on Summit beginning June 15th. The "exclusive" tours evidently take vans, but is that also the case with the less expensive tours that don't include Pompeii? I've never been as sick in my life as I was on a tour bus on that road - must have been all the three point turns required! I've also been to Pompeii in the summer. Magnificent as it is (and it shouldn't be missed by anyone who hasn't visited), it's just too hot.

Hi,

We were on Celebrity twice and did the Amalfi Coast both times..We did the exclusive tour both times also. The first time we had a great spacious Van, fantastic driver, great guide etc... The 2nd time we were in a van where we had to sit sideways because our knees didn't fit in front of us, our driver was a lunatic and I was really car sick to the point of my last night of the cruise being ruined. The less expensive tours had the big busses..at least on our cruise.. As much as I love it I would not do it again unless I hired a sane driver :)

Rhonda

Based on a recommendation found someplace else on these boards, I contacted Marcello - marcellomaresca@tiscali.it

He himself is not available when we are there on the 23rd, but he may be for your date. He also has associates who can do tours, and I've tentatively booked one of them. (I'm still trying to get a group put together.) If you search the threads for Marcello Maresca, you'll find some pretty conflicting information about him. I read through it all and decided that he and his associates would suit me just fine. His website is http://www.seesorrento.com/index_eng.html

He has various sizes of vehicles to handle different sized groups up to 8. If you're interested, he will send you a quote very quickly.

Good luck!

Donia

We have used Francesco Marrapese http://www.francescomarrapese.com/ on the Amalfi Coast and can highly recommend his driving. He is a nice chap, knows the road backwards and will take you to wherever you want to go. He is also full of stories about the many movie stars he has driven for including a highly inebriated "Bold & the Beautiful" cast. Just as well he was doing the driving!!!!

Archived