First Time Wheelchair User

tradogna

I just got a wheelchair leaving on a cruise. My question is at the air port can I ride in the wheelchair right up to the plane entrance. If so then what happens to the wheelchair. Any information would be so appreciated. Thank you.

You do what is called a "gate check" They will wheel you right up to the door of the plane and preboard you. Your wheelchair will be folded up, taken down and placed in the belly of the plane. Upon landing, you will be one of the last to get off because they have to bring your wheelchair up to the plane door for you. Depending on what airline and what model plane you are flying, some have room for one wheelchair inside the cabin; you should contact your airline at your local airport and ask them about that. The system works just fine - just be sure you have a luggage tag on your wheelchair which identifies it as belonging to you - preferrably a permanent plastic or leather tag. We have done this many times. From one of Tony's friends in SanDiego. I recognize you from what he calls his blue thread.:)

The gate check procedure is normally done at the check-in counter where they check your luggage

Gate check works fairly well. If you have a detachable seat cushion take it with you into the cabin. They have been known to get lost or in our case sent to a far away place and take weeks to return.

Gate check works fairly well. If you have a detachable seat cushion take it with you into the cabin. They have been known to get lost or in our case sent to a far away place and take weeks to return.

Don't you hate it when your belongings get to take a vacation to somewhere that you've not been to, before?? :rolleyes:

I assume you can walk short distances? If not you will need to transfer from your wheelchair (with help if needed) to the aisle chair to get to your seat on the plane. The reverse for when you get off the plane (last). Be sure someone guards your wheelchair once you land. Until we made that our routine we had someone off the plane take ours twice thinking it was an airport wheelchair. In San Juan, PR my father had to chase people all the way to the curb to get our wheelchair back!

I assume you can walk short distances? If not you will need to transfer from your wheelchair (with help if needed) to the aisle chair to get to your seat on the plane. The reverse for when you get off the plane (last). Be sure someone guards your wheelchair once you land. Until we made that our routine we had someone off the plane take ours twice thinking it was an airport wheelchair. In San Juan, PR my father had to chase people all the way to the curb to get our wheelchair back!

It is wise to have your name prominently on the wheelchair or stickers or something to personalize it. Mine is green but that in itself won't stop them, But the Large lime green name tag and lables on various parts of the chair normally do the trick. I also normally cabin check my chair whenever possible, If you are the first to request it and if the plane has that capability, and most do, then you get it in the cabin even if the staff has to move their or other peoples items out of the way. Normally though my husband does get off first as you say, I have only traveled alone once in the last 12 years and that was last week.

Archived