Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Are the walled city and old town the same thing or are they to separate districts? Also where is the fresh market in relationship to the walled city (by which gate and how far of a walk)?

Thanks for any assistance.

Brewster

The old town is inside of the city wall. There are 2 green markets, one is inside of the old town but it is cleared out by Noon every day. The other is located down in the Gruz harbor where the vast majority of ships are docked. Again this one is gone by Noon, to see those markets one must be here no later than 8am and never on Sunday. The best times are very early morning, down at the Gruz and on Friday and Saturday. Rest of the week it's small and not so much fun. The one down in the old town is not as big as it was years gone by and again the best days are Friday and Saturday also.

You may want to download the site I've posted, this is the very valuable tourist map which you can obtain at the tourist bureau near to the Pile gate entrance. This will help you get a better insight to the town and it's surrounding area.

If your ship is docked at the Gruz harbor, you must either take a taxi or a ship shuttle bus to the old town. All taxis and buses drop guests near to the Pile gate entrance.

If your ship is at anchor in the old town, then the tender will drop you at the old dock which is located inside the old town. All these are shown very accurately on the map, hope it helps you.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

The old town is inside of the city wall. There are 2 green markets, one is inside of the old town but it is cleared out by Noon every day. The other is located down in the Gruz harbor where the vast majority of ships are docked. Again this one is gone by Noon, to see those markets one must be here no later than 8am and never on Sunday. The best times are very early morning, down at the Gruz and on Friday and Saturday. Rest of the week it's small and not so much fun. The one down in the old town is not as big as it was years gone by and again the best days are Friday and Saturday also.

You may want to download the site I've posted, this is the very valuable tourist map which you can obtain at the tourist bureau near to the Pile gate entrance. This will help you get a better insight to the town and it's surrounding area.

If your ship is docked at the Gruz harbor, you must either take a taxi or a ship shuttle bus to the old town. All taxis and buses drop guests near to the Pile gate entrance.

If your ship is at anchor in the old town, then the tender will drop you at the old dock which is located inside the old town. All these are shown very accurately on the map, hope it helps you.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Thank you very much!! We are there on a Monday so I will not worry to much about the market.

Brewster

DubrovnikTravelady - Thanks so much for your patience in answering all of the questions that have been posted.

We're hoping to have a leisurely lunch while in port and are interested in your opinion of Dubravka 1836. We understand that it's outside the walled city, but it doesn't appear to be terribly far and the menu seems to be varied & reasonable & it would seem to offer a nice view.

I've been hesitant to make reservations, not having our day THAT well planned in advance, but we will be sharing the port w/a large ship that day, so would you recommend reservations? We're also open to any other suggestions for a late lunch.

Thank you.

DubrovnikTravelady - Thanks so much for your patience in answering all of the questions that have been posted.

We're hoping to have a leisurely lunch while in port and are interested in your opinion of Dubravka 1836. We understand that it's outside the walled city, but it doesn't appear to be terribly far and the menu seems to be varied & reasonable & it would seem to offer a nice view.

I've been hesitant to make reservations, not having our day THAT well planned in advance, but we will be sharing the port w/a large ship that day, so would you recommend reservations? We're also open to any other suggestions for a late lunch.

Thank you.

Thank you for asking, but as per rules of cruise critic as a local resident I cannot recommend any particular place. If there is only one other ship in port with you, it won't be overcrowded. Some guests have lunch, early and late, but there are so many choices you will not need reservations. Enjoy your day in my home.

Good day,

My wife and I are on the Holland-America cruise spending the day docked in Dubrovnik 0800 - 1800 on May 23,2011.

My wife is interested in traveling to Medjugorje for the day. Is it feasible and how? And, of course, how much would it cost?

When is the ship (Costa Fortuna, 10 july) docked at anchor or at the pier?

Is the pier far of the centre? Because i'm a wheelchair patient en can't stand; I can't into a taxi.

Is the pier far of the centre? Because i'm a wheelchair patient en can't stand; I can't into a taxi.

Costa ships are always at anchor in the port at the edge of the old town. You will be tendered to the pier and just a few meters from the old town. The main promenade will be ok for your wheelchair. However going inside many of the sights may prove a bit too difficult, other than just the ground floors. Enjoy your time here.

Costa ships are always at anchor in the port at the edge of the old town. You will be tendered to the pier and just a few meters from the old town. The main promenade will be ok for your wheelchair. However going inside many of the sights may prove a bit too difficult, other than just the ground floors. Enjoy your time here.

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful knowledge!! Our ship, Queen Victoria, will be in Dubrovnik on Sunday, October 30, 2011. Do you have any idea where it will dock, or will we use tenders to get to shore? We will be there from 8am til 6pm. What would you recommend would be the best way to see as much as possible since we will probably never get to return.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!! Have a great day!!

Dubrovniktravellady... Can you tell me where the Solstice will dock in June? (June 16th)

Thanks so much!

Celebrity Solstice will be docked in our Gruz harbor, requiring either a taxi or ship shuttle transfer to the old town. Taxi will cost 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, yes they will accept Euros. However, please keep in mind you should stop at one of the ATM machines in town and obtain Croatian Kuna. Some shops and sights do accept Euros, but not all. You are in luck, so far Celebrity is the only ship in port.

You can check back on my posts and locate the website to download the map of Dubrovnik. Also at the Pile gate, your drop off point, there is an office for the Dubrovnik Tourist Bureau where you can pick up literature about our sights. I would suggest doing a bit of research prior to find out which sights interest you.

Have a lovely day here, Dubrovnik is magical.

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful knowledge!! Our ship, Queen Victoria, will be in Dubrovnik on Sunday, October 30, 2011. Do you have any idea where it will dock, or will we use tenders to get to shore? We will be there from 8am til 6pm. What would you recommend would be the best way to see as much as possible since we will probably never get to return.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!! Have a great day!!

Did you know October is our busiest month for cruise ships? We expect more than 167,000 cruise passengers and town will be busy. Your date of 30 October there will be 3 other ships arriving and old town will be very busy and crowded. You may want to do some research on the Dubrovnik Tourist Bureau website and of course download the map. Planning your day will be to your advantage in located some of our hidden gems, such as the Rupe Museum which is seldom visited. What a shame, it's my favorite historical and cultural sight.

There is so much more to Dubrovnik than walking the city wall, buying a gelato on the main promenade and never taking the time to experience our very special town. There is a reason Lord Byron called it "The Pearl of the Adriatic."

Enjoy your time here.

Thanks for the information. Yesterday was the Costa fortuna at the pier.

Thanks for the information. Yesterday was the Costa fortuna at the pier.

Costa is only at dock at the Gruz harbor when weather is poor. I was not in town yesterday but can assume the ship was docked because of our bad weather. Since you're arriving here in July, we can assume Costa will be at anchor near the old town. Our summer weather is normally hot, very seldom do we storms like yesterday in July.

Celebrity Solstice will be docked in our Gruz harbor, requiring either a taxi or ship shuttle transfer to the old town. Taxi will cost 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, yes they will accept Euros. However, please keep in mind you should stop at one of the ATM machines in town and obtain Croatian Kuna. Some shops and sights do accept Euros, but not all. You are in luck, so far Celebrity is the only ship in port.

You can check back on my posts and locate the website to download the map of Dubrovnik. Also at the Pile gate, your drop off point, there is an office for the Dubrovnik Tourist Bureau where you can pick up literature about our sights. I would suggest doing a bit of research prior to find out which sights interest you.

Have a lovely day here, Dubrovnik is magical.

Thank you so much for the information. I've actually been to your gorgeous city. I adore it! I am cruising this year with my mother and she has not been. I am excited to show her what I know. I actually got kuna before I left last year... just enough for lunch and walking the wall. It worked out great. We used a few left over kuna and bought a bottle of wine and took it back onboard with no problem.

I was trying to go back through some posts to find your email address since someone on our sailing says she has been in contact with you. But, I did not locate it. Would you be willing to post it again?

Thank you so much for the information. I love hearing we are the only ship in town! That is fantastic. Somewhere I heard that the day before or after... or some time nearby there were TONS of people in port?

Would be really grateful if the local expert could sensibly advise whether there is any part of the wall that extremely knackered and aged knees could cope with? 600 steps would be impossible - 60 merely difficult!

Would be really grateful if the local expert could sensibly advise whether there is any part of the wall that extremely knackered and aged knees could cope with? 600 steps would be impossible - 60 merely difficult!

The city wall, a Dubrovnik experience. Here is the best information I can give you about the wall. The main entrance in closest to the Pile gate and it is up 65 steps to reach the top. However then going toward the sea is the least difficult part. There is one area which is an incline, 2 steps then a small flat part, another 2 another flat part. That continues for a bit but once you reach the top, it's all downhill from there.

The other 2 entrances are easy, but the rest of the trip is all UPHILL with the vast majority of steps on the land side of the wall.

I did the sea side on Sunday with friends, died on Monday. I also have a bad knee and it was rough going until we reached the upper levels. The hard part does take about 10 minutes and you can go slowly. The younger folks kept passing me but I could have cared less, I still took my time.

You can also take the cable car for with little or no effort and enjoy the view from the mountain top and pass on the wall. The next time friends come over, I plan on passing on the wall and taking them to the cable car. By the way, the total count is 650!

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

I haven't read/heard much about the cable car in any of the threads. It is something too many people dont do or maybe just not enough time to do it? Could you tell me where the Norwegian Jade will be docked and if I would have enough time to walk the walls and cable car? many thanks

I haven't read/heard much about the cable car in any of the threads. It is something too many people dont do or maybe just not enough time to do it? Could you tell me where the Norwegian Jade will be docked and if I would have enough time to walk the walls and cable car? many thanks

Jade is always at anchor in our old port. You will tender in and are just steps from the old town. Your ships is here from 1300 until 2100 and you have more than enough time to visit many of the sights, walk the wall and ride the cable car. The cable car just reopened last year after being destroyed during the 1991 Homeland War. Perhaps many of the older post do not mention it because it was operating.

Enjoy your limited time here.

I am very interested in the cable car since we have already walked the wall. Once at the top is there any thing to do besides have lunch or a drink. Any hiking trails?

You can walk down to the village of Bosanka, just a short hike. Dubrovnik has much more to offer than only the wall and cable car. You can find information by visiting the tourist bureau website for description of our historical and cultural sights.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/index.php

Dubrovniktravellady - I love to collect local pottery, glass, etc. when I travel. Can you tell me where in Dubrovnik or Split I would find the best craftsmen for either of these? Also, is there a local artist or craft that I should look for particularly? Thank you for any help you can give.

Dubrovniktravellady - I love to collect local pottery, glass, etc. when I travel. Can you tell me where in Dubrovnik or Split I would find the best craftsmen for either of these? Also, is there a local artist or craft that I should look for particularly? Thank you for any help you can give.

As a local resident, the cruise critic rules do not allow me to recommend any particular artist, restaurant, etc. In Dubrovnik we do not have type of local pottery, but we do have many lovely art galleries and a few shops which sell quality products. You can find these places by getting off the main promenade and walking the side streets. The vast majority of shops sell tacky souvenirs made in another country with very cheap labor. Our Konavle ladies are known for their embroidery on runners or tablecloths, some are authentic and some are machine made. You must try to figure it out on your own...wish I could help you.

As a local resident, the cruise critic rules do not allow me to recommend any particular artist, restaurant, etc. In Dubrovnik we do not have type of local pottery, but we do have many lovely art galleries and a few shops which sell quality products. You can find these places by getting off the main promenade and walking the side streets. The vast majority of shops sell tacky souvenirs made in another country with very cheap labor. Our Konavle ladies are known for their embroidery on runners or tablecloths, some are authentic and some are machine made. You must try to figure it out on your own...wish I could help you.

My personal email is:dalgirl1958@gmail.com

If you would not mind sending the information to me there.

Thank you!