Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

I will be coming in on the Carnival Sunshine the first week of May. I assume we will be at the big dock and don't plan on a formal excursion for this port. I want to walk the wall (the whole thing if you recommend) and have time to explore old town. Can you tell me what entrance I should begin at with little congestion but great views? Also, is taxi from the port my best bet? Will they speak English? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

I will be coming in on the Carnival Sunshine the first week of May. I assume we will be at the big dock and don't plan on a formal excursion for this port. I want to walk the wall (the whole thing if you recommend) and have time to explore old town. Can you tell me what entrance I should begin at with little congestion but great views? Also, is taxi from the port my best bet? Will they speak English? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

The port authority has not yet posted 2013 docking schedule. However due to the size of Carnival ships, they are always docked at the Gruz harbor. Taxi drivers will be waiting at the pier and yes the majority of them will speak English.

The entire wall normally takes about 2 hours if you stop for photos and the views. The main entrance located closest to the Pile gate entrance can be busy, but the crowds do move quickly. You can also begin at the opposite side of the town at Ploce gate, not usually crowded. By entering at Ploce, you will walk the more difficult part first. The views are spectacular from all parts of the wall.

Enjoy your time here.

What else to see or do in our 1 day in Dubrovnik? My husband probably won't climb to the top of the wall (his knees are much older than the rest of him); we'll LOVE the squid.... but what else?

At the harbor you can catch a small boat (seat about 30) to various places. We got one to a lovely village called Cavtat about 45 mins sail away. Really pretty place to walk round and its flat with no steps or slopes. Took about 50 mins to get back. Cost about 15 euro but will do it cheaper for a group. Then you could go up on the cable car - fantastic views over Dubrovnik. If you try the wall there are at least 30 steps to negotiate with further steps at various places round the wall. It is at least 1 hour for a fit person to go round. Anyone bad at walking would find it very difficult especially if it was busy. The sooner you get to the wall the better - it is so much quieter. Dubrovnik is such a beautiful place.

At the harbor you can catch a small boat (seat about 30) to various places. We got one to a lovely village called Cavtat about 45 mins sail away. Really pretty place to walk round and its flat with no steps or slopes. Took about 50 mins to get back. Cost about 15 euro but will do it cheaper for a group. Then you could go up on the cable car - fantastic views over Dubrovnik. If you try the wall there are at least 30 steps to negotiate with further steps at various places round the wall. It is at least 1 hour for a fit person to go round. Anyone bad at walking would find it very difficult especially if it was busy. The sooner you get to the wall the better - it is so much quieter. Dubrovnik is such a beautiful place.

Last year a study group organized the counting of the total steps in the old part of Dubrovnik. The town inside the wall has a grand total of 5,395. The wall has grand total of 1080, with exactly 87 to reach the top at the main entrance. Normally takes two hours to walk the entire with photo stops and view points. I have often seen many tourists who power walk the wall and never once stop to enjoy the many different views and I am saddened by their lack of interest. Take your time, enjoy the vistas and take many photos to remember your visit to Dubrovnik.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm wondering if anybody did both the entire wall and the fort during their short time off a cruise ship and how strenuous it is. Would it be better if I did only half the wall (the sea side) and then do the fort?

That is entirely up to you. How much time do you want to spend on the wall. Normally it takes 2 hours to walk the entire circuit. Fort Lovrijenac is also included as part of the city wall, and it is located outside of the wall. You will need to take time to locate Lovrijenace, if that is the fort you want to visit.

Also there is Fort Imperial located at the top of Srd mountain, can be reached by the cable car. This is where the 1991 war memorial is located and should not be missed, noting that it is only 21 years ago Dubrovnik was being shelled.

There is more than just walking the wall and cable car, we have lovely cultural and historical sites worth visiting also. Spend your limited time doing the interesting sites, the wall is lovely but 2 hours???

• 4 weeks later...

We have a stop in Dubrovnik this May and I am so excited. I must admit my initial interest was because of Game of Thrones (the show). They filmed in the city and also Lokrum. But I have also had friends who have said this stop in Croatia was their favorite.

This thread has been very helpful!

We have a stop in Dubrovnik this May and I am so excited. I must admit my initial interest was because of Game of Thrones (the show). They filmed in the city and also Lokrum. But I have also had friends who have said this stop in Croatia was their favorite.

This thread has been very helpful!

Yes they did film some of the series here in the old town, Fort Lovrijenac and Lokrum. There have many guests who have inquired about the locations and you will be able to recognize them easily. I cannot be of more help since the series is NOT being shown here. Guess Croatia will have to wait a few more years or hope they put it on a DVD so we can enjoy the show. Believe it or not we are now getting reruns of Murder She Wrote and other oldies...

I just started reading this thread and up to page 3 so far, thought maybe I'd just post my question now, so maybe by the time I get to the end, I'll have the answers to my questions.

1) We'll be in Dubrovnik on Carnival Sunshine in October, I was reading in Rick Steve's Mediterranean cruise ports that there appear to be two places that cruise ships can be at? Which one does Carnival use, and how do you get to the Old City from there? I'm hoping to not have to use a Carnival tour to just walk the walls and tour the old city.

2) We'll be there from 10-5:30. Are there any tours that we would be able to do that would also get us into Bosnia and/or Montenegro as well?

Thanks for your help. Now....back to page 4....

I just started reading this thread and up to page 3 so far, thought maybe I'd just post my question now, so maybe by the time I get to the end, I'll have the answers to my questions.

1) We'll be in Dubrovnik on Carnival Sunshine in October, I was reading in Rick Steve's Mediterranean cruise ports that there appear to be two places that cruise ships can be at? Which one does Carnival use, and how do you get to the Old City from there? I'm hoping to not have to use a Carnival tour to just walk the walls and tour the old city.

2) We'll be there from 10-5:30. Are there any tours that we would be able to do that would also get us into Bosnia and/or Montenegro as well?

Thanks for your help. Now....back to page 4....

Our port authority website has not posted the 2013 schedule, it should be up sometime in February. That being said, due to the size of Carnival ships they are normally at dock in our Gruz harbor. Check with your cruise line to see if they are offering a ship shuttle service to the old town. Or you can take one of the many taxis which will be lined up at the dock exit for the short ride to the Pile (pee-lay) entrance for 75 Kuna or 10 Euros. Yes the taxi will accept Euros, the wall does not.

Your time in Dubrovnik will only be about 5 hours, not enough time to see the old town and make the drive to either Bosnia or Montenegro. Of your 3 choices, of course I would like to know that you spend your time in Dubrovnik. There is so much to see in a very limited amount of time.

Be aware this thread began a few years ago, many entrance fees have changed. You're on page 3, only 62 more to go. Happy reading, enjoy.

After reading through the grand majority of almost 1300 posts, I am impressed with your stamina! My wife and I will be on the CCL Legend on May 6. I presume we will be at Gruz Port and one of two ships that day (nice!). Right now the plan seems to be to take a cab to the bottom station of the cable cars, take the ride up, catch the wall at Ploce gate, wander from there. Do I have that right?

Cheers,

Keith

After reading through the grand majority of almost 1300 posts, I am impressed with your stamina! My wife and I will be on the CCL Legend on May 6. I presume we will be at Gruz Port and one of two ships that day (nice!). Right now the plan seems to be to take a cab to the bottom station of the cable cars, take the ride up, catch the wall at Ploce gate, wander from there. Do I have that right?

Cheers,

Keith

Sounds good to me, you do know that the Ploce gate entrance has the least amount of steps to reach the top. That being said, the circuit from that point is all uphill until you reach Minceta tower. The land side is the most difficult, with the majority of the 1080 steps on that half.

Last year was my final trek on the wall, am not going back up there for love nor money. Too old to spend time up there...

Thanks for the quick response. My thought on the matter is that if we get the harder part of the trek out of the way earlier the rest should be easy. One thing I have yet to see here is... How do I say "Please, Thank You, No Thank You, and Where are the restrooms?" I would at least like to know how to be polite in the local language.

Keith

Thanks Lady for all the info. We will also be htere May 6th, and plan I guess a taxi tot he old city and just walk around get some lunch etc. Is there a place to walk on the beach that you can get too from the old city? I just want to stick my feet in the water so I can say I did LOL.

Or maybe close tot he ship or something? I dont want to do a Beach excursion just dip my feet in the water?

Thanks for the quick response. My thought on the matter is that if we get the harder part of the trek out of the way earlier the rest should be easy. One thing I have yet to see here is... How do I say "Please, Thank You, No Thank You, and Where are the restrooms?" I would at least like to know how to be polite in the local language.

Keith

Let's start with your last question. We are very limited to public restrooms inside of the old town, there's only one at the old harbor. You might find it much more convenient to stop at one of our cafes, order a coffee, glass of wine or whatever libation is your preference and use their facilities. They are mostly referred to as a WC.

Please in a polite formal request - Molim Vas

Thank you - Hvala (you can just say "fala" it will sound the same to locals.

No thank you - Hvala Ne

You will find the vast majority working in tourism can speak English. They do however enjoy to hear Americans have taken the time to learn a few simple words.

Hvala vama

Thanks Lady for all the info. We will also be htere May 6th, and plan I guess a taxi tot he old city and just walk around get some lunch etc. Is there a place to walk on the beach that you can get too from the old city? I just want to stick my feet in the water so I can say I did LOL.

Or maybe close tot he ship or something? I dont want to do a Beach excursion just dip my feet in the water?

Banje beach is located just outside the Ploce gate entrance on the far eastern side of the old town. Walk out the gate until you reach the beach, it should take about 10 minutes. You may also want to take the short 15 minute ferry ride to the island of Lokrum, also located nearest to the old harbor.

The Adriatic is clear and clean and May is may still be very cold. Enjoy!

This is not a Princess ship. It is an old cargo ship refitted to be an 18 room passenger trip. We will be doing a 7 day Adriatic Coast Cruise, visiting Dubronik, Mijet,Split, Sibenik,and Zadar. We will not have dinner on the ship but will get to experience the local cuisine. Would love any recommendations. We plan to spend a least an extra week to see the waterfalls and other interior cities. Is a week enough? What is a must see? Should we rent a car, use buses or take a tour? Thank you to anyone who has information.

Sorry the above message was intended for the Dubrovniktravelady. I thought I had said that but left it out. And in case it matters our cruise will be in Dubrovnik on October 17th, 2013.

Finally our port authority has posted the ship arrivals online. Seabourn Spirit will be at anchor in the old port next to the island of Lokrum and the old town. No need for any type of transportation as you are only steps from the old town.

Posting the website for the port authority. Go to arrivals and you will find a drop down menu for your month.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en

This is not a Princess ship. It is an old cargo ship refitted to be an 18 room passenger trip. We will be doing a 7 day Adriatic Coast Cruise, visiting Dubronik, Mijet,Split, Sibenik,and Zadar. We will not have dinner on the ship but will get to experience the local cuisine. Would love any recommendations. We plan to spend a least an extra week to see the waterfalls and other interior cities. Is a week enough? What is a must see? Should we rent a car, use buses or take a tour? Thank you to anyone who has information.

Interesting misinformation you were given about Princess Aloha, but it is not accurate. The ship is brand new, just built in 2012. Your itinerary is lovely and you will be able to find many good restaurants in all of the towns. I am sure that the crew will be more than helpful with recommendations. Try the local fish and make sure that you make advance reservations for our specialty "Lamb cooked under the iron bell. " Most restaurants do require a minimum of 4 guests and 24 hour advance notice. Is one week enough, depends on the amount of time you want to stay and visit our inland beauties. Your town of departure from Croatia is important also, Zagreb having the best choices.

Do not miss Plitvice Lakes, it is a must.

Ok I have a question because the Advanced Search isn't working right now.

We sail in May. Our ship docks on a Sunday in Gruz and is there from 10:30 to 18:30. There will be over 7500+ people there that day (from other ships). I live in Germany where everything shuts down on Sunday, even many restaurants. What about there in Dubrovnik?

Because it will be so busy, any advice on where to go first? Things to do? We want to also see Lokrum if possible, and walk the wall.