Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

We will be arriving on May 22nd at 7:00 am but are leaving at 3:00 pm, so this is not a lot of time as we'll have to be back on ship about 2:00 pm. Thinking of taking tram Mt Syd, walking walls and spending time exploring Old Town.

My question is; does anyone know what time the walls open? I have seen conflicting times on the internet for May, one site stating 8 am another 9 am. If it's 8am, would probably do this first as tram doesn't start until 9am, if it's 9am would I be correct that it's probably more time efficient to have the taxi drop us at the tram first?

We will be arriving on May 22nd at 7:00 am but are leaving at 3:00 pm, so this is not a lot of time as we'll have to be back on ship about 2:00 pm. Thinking of taking tram Mt Syd, walking walls and spending time exploring Old Town.

My question is; does anyone know what time the walls open? I have seen conflicting times on the internet for May, one site stating 8 am another 9 am. If it's 8am, would probably do this first as tram doesn't start until 9am, if it's 9am would I be correct that it's probably more time efficient to have the taxi drop us at the tram first?

The wall opens at 0800 every day during the season, which has already begun.

Thank you, I appreciate that you took the time to read some of the posts. Taxis will take Croatian Kuna or Euros, fare from the harbor is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros. City wall will accept credit card or Kuna, no foreign currency. Gelato is Kuna only, maybe 20 each for a cup. Lunch and dinner can be paid by credit card, very few restaurants will only accept cash and many will take Euros - ask first before you are seated. Cable car can be paid by credit card. Any small snacks you will need Kuna, you can use any of the many ATM machines located around the old town. Lest amount you can withdraw is 100 Kuna, but for 6 adults you may need more.

Be prepared for the heat, bring a sun hat, very strong sun screen, good walking shoes and take your own bottled water up on the wall. Buy it at any of the small shops, but be prepared it is never ever cold. Do not bother to ask for ice anywhere, you will only get a couple of miniature cubes which melt within seconds.

Sorry I am unable to recommend any good local restaurants, as per cruise critic rules. I will warn you that most of our food is cooked to order, so service is never fast. Lunch is our main meal and often can take hours. Make an effort to find a place which suits your needs, wish I could help.

good advice, the only things I would add is take Mosquito repellent for the early evening. for food find the Kozum buy some wine, bread, cheese and prsut and have a picnic by the sea.

Make sure the prsut is from Drnis and the cheese is from Pag.

Dubrovniktravelady and Keel Haul, thank you both for great you suggestions!!! I love the idea of picnic by the sea and even better we would drink in public!! :D

I estimated we will need 600 Kaunas for the 6 of us (I added a little extra for incidental expenses).

I am travelling to Dubrovnik and am very excited about visiting your new home country in June. we will be there for 4 day wedding and are staying at the Hotel Bellvue. The downside is we only have one day to ourselves the other days are all wedding we activities . Can we walk anywhere from the Bellvue? It is going to be one event from to the next for the wedding. Soonsa Palace, Rectors Palce, Marin Drizic Theater, and that is just Friday, Saturday Lokrum island and then Lovrerijenac Firtress, ending Sunday with the east/west beach club. Please tell me if we will be able to soak in some alone time culture on Thursday and is the Bellevue nice? We are very excited about the trip .thanks in advance.

Also would love to know about wifi back to the US especially texting and data since we are all in need of communication for work and young family members

REALLY APPRECAITE ANY INPUT thanks again

I am travelling to Dubrovnik and am very excited about visiting your new home country in June. we will be there for 4 day wedding and are staying at the Hotel Bellvue. The downside is we only have one day to ourselves the other days are all wedding we activities . Can we walk anywhere from the Bellvue? It is going to be one event from to the next for the wedding. Soonsa Palace, Rectors Palce, Marin Drizic Theater, and that is just Friday, Saturday Lokrum island and then Lovrerijenac Firtress, ending Sunday with the east/west beach club. Please tell me if we will be able to soak in some alone time culture on Thursday and is the Bellevue nice? We are very excited about the trip .thanks in advance.

Also would love to know about wifi back to the US especially texting and data since we are all in need of communication for work and young family members

REALLY APPRECAITE ANY INPUT thanks again

The Hotel Bellevue is a lovely property located on the Adriatic and on the local bus line. You can walk to the old part of town, about 15 minutes or take a taxi or bus. You should be able to get some alone time, just plan to leave early and make your way to the old part of town, that is where you will find our historical and cultural sites. It does appear that you will be visiting some sites during the wedding festivities and will help you with your bearings on your personal day. You may want to find out if your only free day has a large amount of cruisers arriving. If so, then plan to visit Cavtat while they are in town. You can catch the water taxi inside the old town at the pier, it is a easy 45 minute ride to Cavtat, fare is 50 Kuna one way and 80 round trip. You can also catch the Libertas #10 bus to return to the town, but the closest drop off point means either another bus or taxi to the hotel. Cavtat is so worth a visit, it is a perfect place to spend time over a lovely lunch at one of our waterfront restaurants. What dates are you arriving in Dubrovnik? Wifi is all over and the hotel should have it also.

The city walls will have very limited hours from 10am until 3pm and some of the museums and churches. The weather will be cold, windy and wet for the majority of the month. Perhaps a limited amount of souvenier shops and some restaurants which have inside seating. For the most part the shops and outdoor restaurants close on 01 November. And Buza bar is definitly closed, too bad the best view of sunsets in town. You should really consider just one month earlier, if possible.

Your information is invaluable Dubrovnik Travel Lady. My family and I are going to be coming on the Seranade on October 8, 2014 and I have a few questions I hope you can answer.

Is it possible for us to get to Pile Gate without a ship shuttle bus? Is the entrance to the wall only at one location? If more than one where are they located? Will Buza Bar be open at this time of year? If not, can you recommend another location for lunch. How much time and what would it cost to take a local bus? Is it better to take a taxi?

Thank you ahead of time for any answers you or anyone else can provide. :o

Your information is invaluable Dubrovnik Travel Lady. My family and I are going to be coming on the Seranade on October 8, 2014 and I have a few questions I hope you can answer.

Is it possible for us to get to Pile Gate without a ship shuttle bus? Is the entrance to the wall only at one location? If more than one where are they located? Will Buza Bar be open at this time of year? If not, can you recommend another location for lunch. How much time and what would it cost to take a local bus? Is it better to take a taxi?

Thank you ahead of time for any answers you or anyone else can provide. :o

Yes you can reach the Pile entrance by taxi which costs 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, fastest and easiest method. You can also take our local Libertas bus, cost is 15 Kuna (no foreign currency) and will take the longest and quick possibly be crowded with locals. I do not recommend that you walk as it is uphill and would probably waste an hour of time which could be spent in the old part of town.

The city wall does have more than one entrance, you can enter near the Ploce gate which is our far eastern entrance. You will then walk the more difficult part of the wall until you reach Minceta Tower, the highest point on the wall. Be prepared the entire wall does have a grand total of 1080 steps.

As a local resident the rules of cruise critic do not permit me to recommend any specific restaurants. Dubrovnik has a large selection of choices for foods, enjoy. Buza should be open, it is always depending on the weather. October is often lovely Indian Summer or it can also be wet and cold.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Yes you can reach the Pile entrance by taxi which costs 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, fastest and easiest method. You can also take our local Libertas bus, cost is 15 Kuna (no foreign currency) and will take the longest and quick possibly be crowded with locals. I do not recommend that you walk as it is uphill and would probably waste an hour of time which could be spent in the old part of town.

The city wall does have more than one entrance, you can enter near the Ploce gate which is our far eastern entrance. You will then walk the more difficult part of the wall until you reach Minceta Tower, the highest point on the wall. Be prepared the entire wall does have a grand total of 1080 steps.

As a local resident the rules of cruise critic do not permit me to recommend any specific restaurants. Dubrovnik has a large selection of choices for foods, enjoy. Buza should be open, it is always depending on the weather. October is often lovely Indian Summer or it can also be wet and cold.

Thank you. This is our second visit to your beautiful town and we are looking forward to it. :)

The Hotel Bellevue is a lovely property located on the Adriatic and on the local bus line. You can walk to the old part of town, about 15 minutes or take a taxi or bus. You should be able to get some alone time, just plan to leave early and make your way to the old part of town, that is where you will find our historical and cultural sites. It does appear that you will be visiting some sites during the wedding festivities and will help you with your bearings on your personal day. You may want to find out if your only free day has a large amount of cruisers arriving. If so, then plan to visit Cavtat while they are in town. You can catch the water taxi inside the old town at the pier, it is a easy 45 minute ride to Cavtat, fare is 50 Kuna one way and 80 round trip. You can also catch the Libertas #10 bus to return to the town, but the closest drop off point means either another bus or taxi to the hotel. Cavtat is so worth a visit, it is a perfect place to spend time over a lovely lunch at one of our waterfront restaurants. What dates are you arriving in Dubrovnik? Wifi is all over and the hotel should have it also.

We are arriving June 5th...thanks so much for the info.

We are arriving June 5th...thanks so much for the info.

Thursday is a great day to visit the old part of town, very few ships arriving. However be prepared for Saturday, a grand total of 13,000 cruisers will be there. You are in luck since more than 8,000 will be gone by 2pm. Hope you find some time for yourself and enjoy our small town.

This is the first time I've used this site, so hope my post is in the right place, apologise if it's not. I've read lots of the great answers by dubrovnic travel lady and wondered if you could help me. We will be visiting In June we will be tendering in. My husband uses a wheelchair but can manage a few steps, how easy is it going to be for us to get around, would love to go up in the cable car but would taxis be able to put the wheelchair in the boot? And would they allow the wheelchair in the cable car folded or open? And can you suggest any thing else for us to do? Thanks in advance.

This is the first time I've used this site, so hope my post is in the right place, apologise if it's not. I've read lots of the great answers by dubrovnic travel lady and wondered if you could help me. We will be visiting In June we will be tendering in. My husband uses a wheelchair but can manage a few steps, how easy is it going to be for us to get around, would love to go up in the cable car but would taxis be able to put the wheelchair in the boot? And would they allow the wheelchair in the cable car folded or open? And can you suggest any thing else for us to do? Thanks in advance.

You should probably think very seriously about hiring a private car and driver. Is you husband able to navigate at all? Coming in on the tender should not be a problem as you will have the ship personal at the pier to assist. Walking in the old town will be no problem on the Stradun our main promenade. However getting to the cable car is an uphill walk or you can find a taxi to drive you to the entrance. If you have a folding wheelchair it should fit in the boot and I do believe you should be able to get into the car with the chair. Once at the top, you will be limited to certain areas which are paved, be prepared for some areas which are not.

I am very familiar with the restrictions as I also have a member of my family who uses a wheelchair. Enjoy the town, you will find some sites are not accessible but there is enough for you to enjoy also.

Here is a site for a 2 hour tour which you might consider if he can get up a couple of steps with some assistance.

http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

Dubrovniktravelady,

Thank-you so much for all your information. It is very much appreciated by all who read this thread!

We'll be in town on the Regal Princess on Saturday, May 31. I think that'll be a very bust day with multiple ships in port.

Can you recommend a seafood restaurant for lunch that will be easy to find as we tour the old-town area on foot?

Also, Princess does not show this port as a tender required stop, but the local port web-site shows the Regal will be using the anchorage area instead of the cruise terminal pier. Do you know any way to confirm which is correct?

Thanks again

Thursday is a great day to visit the old part of town, very few ships arriving. However be prepared for Saturday, a grand total of 13,000 cruisers will be there. You are in luck since more than 8,000 will be gone by 2pm. Hope you find some time for yourself and enjoy our small town.

Thank you so much for the information

Dubrovniktravelady,

Thank-you so much for all your information. It is very much appreciated by all who read this thread!

We'll be in town on the Regal Princess on Saturday, May 31. I think that'll be a very bust day with multiple ships in port.

Can you recommend a seafood restaurant for lunch that will be easy to find as we tour the old-town area on foot?

Also, Princess does not show this port as a tender required stop, but the local port web-site shows the Regal will be using the anchorage area instead of the cruise terminal pier. Do you know any way to confirm which is correct?

Thanks again

Oops, too late to edit my post... Princess is now showing our Dubrovnik stop as a tender port. I'm glad they finally got that straightened out. Am I correct in assuming that we'll be tendering right into the pier at Old Town?

Oops, too late to edit my post... Princess is now showing our Dubrovnik stop as a tender port. I'm glad they finally got that straightened out. Am I correct in assuming that we'll be tendering right into the pier at Old Town?

The Dubrovnik port authority shows your ship to be at tender in the Gruz harbor, not the old port harbor in town. However this does not mean it is set in stone, as weather can often change tenders at the last minute. You may find your arrival is at tender, since there are 2 other large ships docked but they will both depart at 1400. These departures may permit your ship to be docked upon your return.

The Dubrovnik port authority shows your ship to be at tender in the Gruz harbor, not the old port harbor in town. However this does not mean it is set in stone, as weather can often change tenders at the last minute. You may find your arrival is at tender, since there are 2 other large ships docked but they will both depart at 1400. These departures may permit your ship to be docked upon your return.

Thanks for that info. I was hoping we'd be able to tender right to old town.

Any seafood restaurant recommendations for lunch?

Thanks for that info. I was hoping we'd be able to tender right to old town.

Any seafood restaurant recommendations for lunch?

As a local resident I am unable to recommend any specific restaurants, as per the rules of cruise critic. You will find most restaurants will offer fresh fish, just ask the weight as it is often sold by the kilo.

You should probably think very seriously about hiring a private car and driver. Is you husband able to navigate at all? Coming in on the tender should not be a problem as you will have the ship personal at the pier to assist. Walking in the old town will be no problem on the Stradun our main promenade. However getting to the cable car is an uphill walk or you can find a taxi to drive you to the entrance. If you have a folding wheelchair it should fit in the boot and I do believe you should be able to get into the car with the chair. Once at the top, you will be limited to certain areas which are paved, be prepared for some areas which are not.

I am very familiar with the restrictions as I also have a member of my family who uses a wheelchair. Enjoy the town, you will find some sites are not accessible but there is enough for you to enjoy also.

Here is a site for a 2 hour tour which you might consider if he can get up a couple of steps with some assistance.

http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

I have been reading up on all the things to do in Dubrovnik and this bus would be exactly what my 87 year old husband and I are looking for.

I've looked at the link but I'm not quite sure whether this bus comes near the port or can I take a taxi to the start. We are arriving on 24th ay on MSC Fantasia.

Would be glad to hear a bit more.

• 3 weeks later...

Dubrovniktravelady-

A different type of question for you. I will be in Dubrovnik in September. I have a small collection of antique Russian Orthodox hand painted icons. I hope to visit the icon museum and to purchase an icon, if possible. I found two shops that say they sell antique icons: Moje Tezoro, main street Stradun and Nikola Božidarević Street. Hours: 09:00 – 13:00, 17:00 – 21:00 (Mon-Fri) and Djardin- Miha Pracata 8, Old Town Hours: 9.30am-6pm Mon-Fri;

Are you familiar with these shops and do they have a selection of antique icons? Can you give me some idea of prices? I realize these are rather odd questions but thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

<<<Karen>>>

As a local resident I am unable to recommend any specific restaurants, as per the rules of cruise critic. You will find most restaurants will offer fresh fish, just ask the weight as it is often sold by the kilo.

I thought the Cruise Critic rules were that you could not post recommendations unless specifically asked my a CC member?? I have had locals in Mexico and the Caribbean respond to my inquiries and their posts/my posts were not removed.

I thought the Cruise Critic rules were that you could not post recommendations unless specifically asked my a CC member?? I have had locals in Mexico and the Caribbean respond to my inquiries and their posts/my posts were not removed.

I was warned by cruise critic admin, no specifics or be banned forever.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

I was warned by cruise critic admin, no specifics or be banned forever.

I know that you have been very guarded about this, however you may care to ask them if you can provide answers if specifically asked. I know that we who post regularly on threads relating to Alaska, the West Coast and Canada often recommend, hotels, restaurants, transportation, tours and attractions without there being an issue.