Currency Exchange

Hello all,

We will be taken the Can/NE cruise this coming September. If I order the Canadian funds in my bank, the rate is kind of low ($1.00 = 1.10 can). What is the usually ATM rate now in Canada? Should I get it now, or wait till I get to Canada?

Thanks,

Hello all,

We will be taken the Can/NE cruise this coming September. If I order the Canadian funds in my bank, the rate is kind of low ($1.00 = 1.10 can). What is the usually ATM rate now in Canada? Should I get it now, or wait till I get to Canada?

Thanks,

ATM likely would be worse and maybe have an upcharge too. Our $ is

Officially around 1.16 and has been rising lately but who knows where it will be in September. Recommend using your credit card and letting your bank do the math. That's what we do when going your way.

ATM likely would be worse and maybe have an upcharge too. Our $ is

Officially around 1.16 and has been rising lately but who knows where it will be in September. Recommend using your credit card and letting your bank do the math. That's what we do when going your way.

I agree, getting the cash from your bank is the easiest way, as the ATM's charge a fee for out of the country use. Be aware that banks do not deal in coin and since we have one and two dollar coins (loonies and toonies), the trick is to have as much converted to paper money before you leave Canada as possible, so you can exhange what is leftover when you get home. Also be aware that you will lose a few dollars on the hundred on the reconversion as that is one way the banks make money.You can also stop into any Canadian bank and exchange your US dollars --either buying or selling.

If you use the credit card route, the conversion will be done on your credit card bill but the cc companies charge a few percentage points for using your card out of the country.

sunraiser, use your credit card as you will get the going rate at the transaction time. you can use atm's, but you will have an atm fee and if your bank is like mine, you will also have their fee for using someone else's atm. we went to niagara last oct. i used the atm, but i did still make out on the deal even with the "exchange" fee's. and i also made out using my credit card. most times in tourist places like when i was in niagara, if you give them US dollars, they'll do it dollar for dollar verses exchange rate which as of just a couple days ago was 1.17 cdn to 1.00 us. then of course if you have cdn cash, you will have to exchange it once your home.

I live in Ft Lauderdale, Fl and will be traveling to Seattle and arriving late. The next morning I am out early on the Amtrak to Vancouver where I will spend a couple of days. Would you recommend I get Canadian currency in Ft Lauderdale or can I exchange money at a bank, hopefully near the Amtrak station? Thanks for any info!

I live in Ft Lauderdale, Fl and will be traveling to Seattle and arriving late. The next morning I am out early on the Amtrak to Vancouver where I will spend a couple of days. Would you recommend I get Canadian currency in Ft Lauderdale or can I exchange money at a bank, hopefully near the Amtrak station? Thanks for any info!

There is an ATM in the Amtrak station but it is private one an has addtional fees attached for its use. There is a branch of the VanCity Credit Union right across the street from the station or any number of banks downtown where you can get some $CDN.

The rate right now before fees right now is 0.8935 so the difference is the bank fees.

I know, but since none of us deal directly with the Bank Of Canada, what their rate is is only informative, where what the banks charge us is what really matters. Still beats what I paid on my deposit in February ($1.27) LOL.

I am actually thinking of having my final payment for my Alaska cruise due in mid June put through early to tale advantage of the stronger CDN $$$. If it should hit $0.90 I will fire off an email to my TA to put it through.

Cheers

Dennis

I am actually thinking of having my final payment for my Alaska cruise due in mid June put through early to tale advantage of the stronger CDN $$$. If it should hit $0.90 I will fire off an email to my TA to put it through.

Cheers

Dennis

Mine is due next Friday I believe, so if you wouldn't mind paying yours off this coming Monday or Tuesday, I'm sure your bad timing will cause the dollar to rise another couple points by Friday and save me some more LOL.

Cheers

Dennis

If you deal with an investment company such as RBCDS you can often purchase US$ at a very beneficial rate, in fact very close to the trading rate, I do this all the time. Also if you know your banker you can often push a point or so off the posted rate by just asking for the very very best rate.

Now on to when to pay...we are booking with neighbors tomorrow to go to Alaska in Sept. I am going to push for the lowest deposit in US$ and see what happens in the next few weeks and I may just pony up before final as well. If we only our crystal balls were just a little less cloudy.;)

Archived