Customs Question - MSP and YVR

tulips*n*truffles

Hello!

I'm flying Northwest Airlines from MSP-YVR in a few weeks. Can someone tell me on which side of things I'll go through customs? I haven't flow internationally since I was a teen and can't remember the procedure at all. I'm trying to time shuttles to and from hotels and know there will be a longer delay on the customs side...

Thanks for your help!

Hello!

I'm flying Northwest Airlines from MSP-YVR in a few weeks. Can someone tell me on which side of things I'll go through customs? I haven't flow internationally since I was a teen and can't remember the procedure at all. I'm trying to time shuttles to and from hotels and know there will be a longer delay on the customs side...

Thanks for your help!

You'll go through immigration and customs upon arrival at Vancouver. There are some Canadian (plus some "Caribbean" and Irish) airports with US border preclearance but it doesn't work the other way round.

Regardless of airline, all international arrivals at YVR feed into a common hall. Presuming you're not a Canadian citizen, you get in a long serpentine "Disney-style" line. Sometimes employees will be reconfiguring the ropes and barriers to open up new lanes, so pay attention as you enter the hall.

At the head of the line there are a lot of agents, you go the the next available person. Out the other side, claim your luggage and presuming nothing to declare, go through the "green lane". If you use the shuttle bus service, you can pay at the info booth right after you emerge into the public area of the terminal....or go outside to the curb and look for the bus kiosk. You can pay there too.

Presuming you're in YVR to board a cruise you will clear US customs on the dock in Vancouver. Same goes for flights out of Canada- US Customs is at major Canadian airports and they preclear all passengers.

Related questions if you don't mind. should you have any forms filled out or anything before you get in that line? and if so where do you get them? Also do you know if they have a separate line or what for Wheel chair passengers?

Archived