Problem with customs in vancouver canada

hndmn4wf

Another twist on this. If one is entering Canada when disembarking from a cruise in Vancouver, with intent and reservations for immediately boarding the QuickBus to go to Seattle, would past DUI be an issue? After all, one can't reboard the ship, and would be headed out of the country asap.

David

Gracecarmo - Quickcoach at the border

I've taken Quickcoach to and from Seattle. When I took it the procedure at the border was for everyone to get off the bus and go into the customs office and the custom officers check your ID (and if they want any baggage you have with you). It was quite quick and hassle free. Of course it might take longer if there are a number of busses going through customs at the same time.

3 yo DUI??? Better plan on using US Direct if at all possible. Unless your DUI was in a VERY small court (our town of 1062 people now has reporting capability), it will be in the CBP/ICE database.

Whether it gets picked up by the Canadian authorities is the BIG question.

And it is only a felony in CA in a prima facie case in certain circumstance-usually bodily injury to another person, extreme DUI, another felony combined with DUI, etc. etc. Depending on adjudication, it CAN be dropped to a misdemeanor even in extreme circumstances.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US Direct is a written agreement between USCBP, CBSA, Vancouver Int'l airport, Port Metro Vancouver and participating cruise and airlines. It essentially allows US passport holders and resident card holders who are travelling on a direct flight to the US on the same day of disembarkation to participate in the program as if they never entered into Canada. They are transported on a sealed bus to and from the airport and cruise terminal. The airlines/cruiselines must provide CBSA and USCBP with a list of participants, their passport numbers, airline info, DOB etc. The lists are screened by the regulatory agencies and anyone found not to qualify for the program will be removed. You may not find out that you have been removed until you try to get on the bus.

This was what someone posted above about US Direct. If this is true then using it won't be helpful either b/c as stated they pull you from the bus if you have a felony or DUI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was what someone posted above about US Direct. If this is true then using it won't be helpful either b/c as stated they pull you from the bus if you have a felony or DUI

And that is EXACTLY why I posted this: "it will be in the CBP/ICE database. Whether it gets picked up by the Canadian authorities is the BIG question."

And as I further posted, I have employees that have crossed the border every week for years. Then all of a sudden, BAM, something that happened 20 years ago shows up in some database and they are denied entry.

IMHO, it truly is the luck of the draw but I think you will have a better chance with US Direct BECAUSE you are going directly to/from the ship and technically, you are not entering Canada. NOT much chance to slip away and spend some time in Canada which you could do if you crossed the border under normal procedures.

So far, it looks like if anyone that had anything on their record (felony/dwi etc.) didn't have a problem getting on the ship in Vancouver unless they're just not posting it here.

There are a lot more sailings out of Vancouver to go so maybe someone will say something if they had a problem getting on ship.

How did customs treat you if you had a problem?

Please do tell for all of us to know.

Of course we know going through customs, whether it be through the US Direct program or on your own, it's the luck of the draw of whether you will have problems or not.

After June 1st, when everyone has to have a passport, maybe then going through customs/US Direct program, things will be different/ worse.

Who knows!

Thanks to anyone that lets us know how things were when going through customs/US Direct program.

I'm with you, HNDMN4WF!!! I just want to hear ONE person's recent, personal experience!!! LOL!! Just one!!!

One person's "recent, personal experience" WILL NOT be YOUR'S. Anecdotal experience MAY give some INDICATION of what your experience will be. But it is sure not conclusive.

As I have posted so many times in these DUI threads-I have employees who have crossed the Canadian border REPEATEDLY for quite a few years (at least 2 times per month). Then all of a sudden, BAM-they can't cross. TRULY the luck of the draw. BE PREPARED and hope for the best. Good luck!!!!

My boyfriend and I are leaving tomorrow to go to Vancouver and we are praying that he has no problem with customs in Vancouver. He does not have a spotless record. A couple of things that are working in our favor is the incident was more than 5 yrs ago and we went to Montreal in July of 07 with no problems, so we are hoping for the best. I will definitley post when we get back what happened, and I am praying that it will be good news.

Please say a prayer for us! :D

So far, it looks like if anyone that had anything on their record (felony/dwi etc.) didn't have a problem getting on the ship in Vancouver unless they're just not posting it here.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

They're not posting it here. Fortunately this isn't an issue for me, but a google search yielded quite a few accounts of people denied entry.

Ok, so I wasn't on a cruise ship, but was crossing the border at Niagara Falls with someone with a misdemeanor on their record that was about 3 years old. They were stopped (we all were because we were in one vehicle) and they were questioned. They filled out some sort of pardon application then were granted permission to visit for one day. Don't know how much that helps, but hopefully it's something.

This DUI/Felony issue was news to us also. However we met 2 people on our cruise last week that had great worries since they only found out 2 weeks prior to the cruise sailing. Here is what they told us.

Both are USA Citizens one male, one female.

Both flew through Vancouver both ways.

One person had 4 DUI's in thier history... last one was in 2002.

One person had 1 DUI in thier history... Fall of this year will be 5 years.

They entered Vancouver Customs seperatly and were asked normal quick questions and let through.

The USA Customs before boarding the Cruise of course was no issue.

Returning at the end of the cruise same few questions from Canadian Customs and passed through.

They called last night to tell us they had a great trip and after 2 weeks of worrying and stressed that they have turned thier lives around (no drinking) they would miss the cruise they were happy to be home after a great time.

And No they will not plan anymore trips through or to Canada since Customs has in the past refused entry to a few people with DUI's from over 20 years prior.

Each Country has rules, but I am sure many would like to know this one before booking trips!

Hope this helps!

For those of you that were wondering I just wanted to let you know that we made it through customs! We went on our cruise last week and we arrived in Vancouver the night before really late (about midnight). My boyfriend and I went up to the window together, they asked us where we were going and I told them a cruise to Alaska and they said have a good time.

Also we rented a car in Skagway and when we got to the border there they didnt even scan our passports, just asked where we were going.

We were very fortunate, as I understand it really is luck of the draw. I am glad to say that the months of me worrying were for nothing!

I can't give anyone here answers. But, as I've posted here before, I have more than a passing acquaintance with border procedures, and have a Canadian law degree.

I believe the reason they're so tough on people with DUIs is that it would be a felony charge in Canada (misdemeanor here) and felony charges can prevent you from traveling.

In Canada, drunk driving is something called a "hybrid offense". The Crown Attorney (= DA) can decide to treat it as a felony, or as a summary (= misdemeanor) offense. The fact that most are treated summarily doesn't change that this is potentially a WAY more serious charge here than in the U.S.

Another twist on this. If one is entering Canada when disembarking from a cruise in Vancouver, with intent and reservations for immediately boarding the QuickBus to go to Seattle, would past DUI be an issue? After all, one can't reboard the ship, and would be headed out of the country asap.

When Customs and Immigration decide someone is persona non grata (= PNG, not welcome in the country) they will make an issue of it, and an example of the PNG. You will not leave the country the way you planned. Part of the point is to not make it convenient. They will be polite, and professional, but you will leave the country how and when they choose.

There are a lot more sailings out of Vancouver to go so maybe someone will say something if they had a problem getting on ship.

How did customs treat you if you had a problem?

Please do tell for all of us to know.

Of course we know going through customs, whether it be through the US Direct program or on your own, it's the luck of the draw of whether you will have problems or not.

After June 1st, when everyone has to have a passport, maybe then going through customs/US Direct program, things will be different/ worse.

Who knows!

Thanks to anyone that lets us know how things were when going through customs/US Direct program.

I'd be surprised if people with bad experiences post. If you get stopped, it will rock your world.

With as many border crossings as I've done (about a thousand) I've been stupid a couple times. Once I was detained by U.S. Customs, and released in under an hour. Not fun. And that was a "good" experience.

From time to time, our 2 countries - though such good friends and neighbo(u)rs - seem to get intoretaliatory border pushing matches. When detentions and PNG's escalate, both sides point fingers and claim "He started it!"

Bottom line: Canadian border agents have a lot of discretion. If questioned, you would do well to follow CrusieDreamer28's suggestion, and be prepared to show how the offense was treated, and in what court. Another area of discretion is "deemed rehabilitation", a very slippery term. If you unfailingly polite, co-operative, honest, you may catch a break, even if stopped.

Here are a couple of links. Here's the harsh and scary one:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/anchorage/offices-bureaux/know-savoir.aspx?lang=eng

Here's the warm and fuzzy one:

http://www.noto.ca/bordercrossing.cfm

Sorry for the long post. Leelee9878, thanks for posting the good news! May everyone else here have such a pleasant crossing!

P.S. - when Canadians get refused entry to the U.S., marijuana convictions (a REALLY minor offense here) are often the bug bear....or, in the case of some notable celebrities, holding unacceptable environmental or political views.

Archived