Finally got my book "Cruise Confidential"

tammi0916

Lollylew,

I would like to take you up on your offer. I can reinburse you for the shipping cost. How can we get in touch?

Sorry to respond so late but I just saw your inquiry. I have already shipped it onto someone else but I hope that you have been able to find your copy! :p:)

There is a book called Cruise Ship Blues: The Underside of the Cruise Ship Industry by Ross A. Klein. I read it several years ago, and found it interesting but disturbing at times.

What things did you find disturbing? Enquiring minds want to know!! HEHE (Yes, I know that it's spelled with an "I" but I'm trying to be funny :p:D)

What things did you find disturbing? Enquiring minds want to know!! HEHE (Yes, I know that it's spelled with an "I" but I'm trying to be funny :p:D)

Well, I read it a long time ago, but I do remember it discusses things like environmental impact of cruise ships, crime on board (both against passengers and crew members alike), particularly sexual assaults, etc.

It didn't paint a pretty picture of the cruise industry in certain respects.

I just finished reading What Time is the Midnight Buffet? . Would anyone be interested in swapping for a copy of Cruise Confidential ? :D

Me!! Me!!! lol! I just finished Cruise Confidential last night and would be happy to swap with you!

I am almost ready to read this book. It is in transit to my library for me to go pick up and read. then I will have my fiancee read it too.

Matt you will love it I got mine over two weeks a go from our local library and finished it in 2 days.

Enjoy reading it while doing the stairs.:D

Sorry everyone! The swap has been made. We will reply later when we are ready to swap again or send our copies forward. Happy cruising! :D

Man, somebody must've been REALLY quick since I replied to you only 4 minutes after you posted your swap offer yesterday. ;) Enjoy the book!

It should be required reading before you are allowed to comment about tips, working hours, small gifts, etc.

I'm just learning about this book (yes, I've been sleeping under a rock) and now I plan to check it out. Until then, I'm just wondering if you could expand on the "small gifts" comment you made. Good idea, bad idea... my wife has been told this was a good idea. I've had a few people "flame" that and since you made mention of it... what's your (or anyone's) personal experience?

Thanks.

I got mine from another CC member and stayed up till 4am to read it. :D

Thanks for the link to the pictures! I just KNEW that Leo had to look like that - the other "sexy bitch" HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I LOVE this book. Thanks Brian for writing it. I had it with me on Triumph but didn't get a chance to read it until last night. I am glad now I didn't. I would have been trying to hand feed my servers FOOD. :eek:

Is anyone else disturbed that these guys work 20 hours and aren't allowed to eat, at all? :( Very disturbing. I knew they worked hard, but those conditions are horrid.

Brian, my hats off to you for being the first American to make it the entire 8 month contract! I could never, no way.

And to those asking about Bianca, there is one line in the 2nd page of the Epilogue that pretty much answer that question. Or I thought it did. :D

And to those asking about Bianca, there is one line in the 2nd page of the Epilogue that pretty much answer that question. Or I thought it did. :D

Now you're gonna make me go look. :)

Thanks for the link to the pictures! I just KNEW that Leo had to look like that - the other "sexy bitch" HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I LOVE this book. Thanks Brian for writing it. I had it with me on Triumph but didn't get a chance to read it until last night. I am glad now I didn't. I would have been trying to hand feed my servers FOOD. :eek:

Is anyone else disturbed that these guys work 20 hours and aren't allowed to eat, at all? :( Very disturbing. I knew they worked hard, but those conditions are horrid.

Brian, my hats off to you for being the first American to make it the entire 8 month contract! I could never, no way.

Ok, I went back and looked at that line. It sort of SOUNDS like they didn't make it....but I'm still waiting for the sequel!

I wanted to find Gunnar and tell him off myself! Gunnar, if you are reading this, you're a *@*! LOL.:D

This was my first Kindle book ever. Had a great time and will probably read twice as much as I used to!

Ok, I went back and looked at that line. It sort of SOUNDS like they didn't make it....but I'm still waiting for the sequel!

Yeah me too! :D

I wanted to find Gunnar and tell him off myself! Gunnar, if you are reading this, you're a *@*! LOL

Ohhh heck yeah! I wonder if Gunner is still on a ship?

Were names changed to protect the innocent?

... Until then, I'm just wondering if you could expand on the "small gifts" comment you made. Good idea, bad idea... my wife has been told this was a good idea.

BAD idea. The crew has such cramped quarters that they dont even have room for their own meager possesions...the author slept with his luggage ON his bed! :eek:

BAD idea. The crew has such cramped quarters that they dont even have room for their own meager possesions...the author slept with his luggage ON his bed! :eek:

At the time it sounded like a great idea. Travel size laundry soaps and stuff like that. $2 bills wrapped around chocolate to hand out each day to those that did great service. But I was surprised at how many people were against it on another thread. I appreciate your response...

i got my copy via intra-library loan (all the way from new mexico)... I am reading to my wife at bedtime each evening, but am really enjoying the book so far... wonder if he ever answers the eternal question regarding tipping procedures.?guess i will find out eventually....

It is a page turner. I read about 280 pages yesterday afternoon and all the behind the scenes details are fascinating/surprising, yet one recurring theme bothers me a bit.

He describes Americans as eating everything in site, (justify the price of the cruz).

One other thing is, while there are several attractive female attendants around; on my 10 Carnival cruzes, I have never seen the bevy of buxom beauties that Brian describes. I wonder where they work???

So, I’m curious if any of you picked up on these or is that just author’s privilege?

It is a page turner. I read about 280 pages yesterday afternoon and all the behind the scenes details are fascinating/surprising, yet one recurring theme bothers me a bit.

He describes Americans as eating everything in site, (justify the price of the cruz).

One other thing is, while there are several attractive female attendants around; on my 10 Carnival cruzes, I have never seen the bevy of buxom beauties that Brian describes. I wonder where they work???

So, I’m curious if any of you picked up on these or is that just author’s privilege?

I think the author just thinks most all women are gorgeous, as he certainly paints the picture that nearly every female he ran across was a beauty. Maybe he has lower standards??? :D

I got that same impression but he could be throwing us off the scent, LOL He is married to a Romanian woman, so I guess we'll have to wait and see!

It appears that most people love this book. I started out enjoying it but got bored with it towards the end. Anyone else? I wound up giving it to my waiter in the dining room. I was telling him all about it and he wanted the name of the book and the author, so the next night I gave him the book to read.

Archived