Finally got my book "Cruise Confidential"

tammi0916

Yeah me too! :D

Ohhh heck yeah! I wonder if Gunner is still on a ship?

Were names changed to protect the innocent?

yep, all the names were changed, though none of us were really innocent! The few jokes that revolve around names, such as 'Juicy' are all true, but it was a different Hungarian friend of ours, that's all.

I think the author just thinks most all women are gorgeous, as he certainly paints the picture that nearly every female he ran across was a beauty. Maybe he has lower standards??? :D

While it is true I love all women to a fault, I believe I was training during 'the great Euro influx', when Carnival was trying to get more Europeans on the ships, in part because the fleet manager was Croatian. There were also hints of American discomfort at having an all white guest list served by all black workers, which no one wants to talk about. My training class was predominantly hot chicks, which were eventually scattered throughout the fleet of 30,000 individuals. As my years at sea progressed, the percentage began to reflect reality a little more (more's the pity). Great question, though!

I just finished reading the book yesterday. Now I am going to be thinking of myself as a cow now and even though on my first cruise I had a feeling life was not all it was cracked up to be being staff. I just didn't realize that it was that bad. I hope it has gotten better for the employees since then. I do know that the bartender on Triumph said they work 8-10 hours with a hour break. So they didn't have it too bad as far as work. Good read and I even found myself having dreams about them.

At the time it sounded like a great idea. Travel size laundry soaps and stuff like that. $2 bills wrapped around chocolate to hand out each day to those that did great service. But I was surprised at how many people were against it on another thread. I appreciate your response...

Cash is King, trinkets etc, not so good. But a Broncos helmet would be cool!! :D

Brian

As much as you mention crew smoking down below, I am surprised I don't smell "the cloud of smoke" hanging around crew members as the are working when we are on a cruise. Is the crew smoking really that bad?

Brian

As much as you mention crew smoking down below, I am surprised I don't smell "the cloud of smoke" hanging around crew members as the are working when we are on a cruise. Is the crew smoking really that bad?

I was on the Ecstacy and had the way aft cabin on the Riveria deck port side. I kept noticing a lot of crew members walking out of the crew door and up the stairway. So I went up the stairs and all the crew members from engineers to waiters were outside smoking. Being outside and the wind blew out the smoke. Maybe that is why you do not smell "the cloud of smoke" on anyone. The passengers smoking on the Lido was about the same numbers as the crew.

I was in Honolulu back in the day 1980 and I ran into abunch of girls from Canada. The first time that I heard this. They all mentioned that they noticed that a lot of Americans were over weight when they were vacationing in the states. Reading the book and now the Eastern Europeans mentioning the over weight Americans grazing.

I did noticed quite a few over weight passengers on several cruise ships. I myself am a few pounds but not that bad.icon7.gif

One of these days I will know what everyone is rambling about;

Ordered June 1st from Amazon.

Shipping estimate: June 26, 2009 - July 1, 2009

For those of you who have already read the book, do you recommend reading before or during your next cruise?

I also ordered 'What Time is the Midnight Buffet' and 'Permanent Passenger; My Life on a Cruise Ship.' I received them three or four days after ordering.

Brian--I got the book on Monday and started reading it right away. It is fascinating. I am a few chapters past the one where you served the family of 8 where everyone was obese (children included) and had four scooters. I really wonder, truly, how bad were they. They sound like the typical "Ugly American," but was every night as bad as the one you talked about.

I must be more generous when tipping at the end of the cruise. I think the waiter/busboy will get something this time around in September. They work very hard, so I'll set a side a little more and give to them as wellas room steward!!!!!!

I am amazed at how greedy some are when the cruise. I eat until I am satisfied. I never order more than one entree, unless it is lobster. I'll indulge and order two, but I won't I have a appetizer or dessert!!!!

I have to get those others books. I guess I go check to see of I can find them!!!

One of these days I will know what everyone is rambling about;

Ordered June 1st from Amazon.

Shipping estimate: June 26, 2009 - July 1, 2009

For those of you who have already read the book, do you recommend reading before or during your next cruise?

I also ordered 'What Time is the Midnight Buffet' and 'Permanent Passenger; My Life on a Cruise Ship.' I received them three or four days after ordering.

I would read it before your next cruise. The book does make you look at things different.

Brian

Many crew bars nowadays are smoke free. they tried that on one of my ships on Saturday nights, and there was never a soul to be found in there. I think they did that intentionally because sunday was embarkation day and they wanted everyone in top form. They eventually got aggressive and forced all areas to be nonsmoking, though cabins are still OK, I believe. Trust me, you wouldn't have smelled a thing from those areas of the ship because all the air is completely man-handled and sanitized and scrubbed. Great question!

< triple back handsprings> Mine came today :) This weekend is gonna be GOOD :)

For those patient friends and fans out there, the book is finally available through all the big retailers, like Amazon and Barnes & Noble. It took them a while to log them in, so I hope that means they sent out the back-ordered editions first. Thanks for all that enthusiasm, everyone!

Definitely read the book before you cruise!

Paul, thanks again for your help with my computer/internet problem. Computer is running great now! :)

For those patient friends and fans out there, the book is finally available through all the big retailers, like Amazon and Barnes & Noble. It took them a while to log them in, so I hope that means they sent out the back-ordered editions first. Thanks for all that enthusiasm, everyone!

That's great news for those who have been impatiently waiting to read it! Hey, I have an idea, Brian. If you would offer autographed copies of your books through your web site, I bet there would be a long line of Cruise Critic fans waiting to buy them from you! :D (I'd be first in line, even though I have a non-autographed copy already.)

Hi everyone I've finished my turn with the book- cruise confidental, so the next person who is going on a cruise and would like to take it with them I'm ready to send it to you- you just have to do the same when your done with it.

What a great read! Karon:)

Hi everyone I've finished my turn with the book- cruise confidental, so the next person who is going on a cruise and would like to take it with them I'm ready to send it to you- you just have to do the same when your done with it.

What a great read! Karon:)

Hi Karon!

How are you? Did you enjoy the book? How has life been since your cruise? Between Cruise Confidential and my cruise, I am definitely looking forward to another cruise sometime soon. Anyway, thanks for passing the book along!

Happy Cruisin'!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle

I have had my book on order since June 2nd with Amazon and it still hasnt shipped :(

My order review says it is to ship between June 29- July6th.

Still looking forward to reading the story.

Brian, Thanks for coming to the board and comenting. I'm sure it is helping your sales.

djp

Hi Karon!

How are you? Did you enjoy the book? How has life been since your cruise? Between Cruise Confidential and my cruise, I am definitely looking forward to another cruise sometime soon. Anyway, thanks for passing the book along!

Happy Cruisin'!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle

Hi Michelle- What a book, boy does it open your eyes. On our last cruise in the serenity area the towel guy was eating (sneaking) I was turning in my towel and he was apolizing all over the place - I just looked at him and said its ok I understand. It does make you look at the workers with a lot more compassion. Thanks for the book. I just ordered two of the other books everyone is talking about. My turn to send them on to you if you haven't read them- What time is the Midnight Buffet and Permanent Passenger let me know if you've read them. Karon:)

Hi Michelle- What a book, boy does it open your eyes. On our last cruise in the serenity area the towel guy was eating (sneaking) I was turning in my towel and he was apolizing all over the place - I just looked at him and said its ok I understand. It does make you look at the workers with a lot more compassion. Thanks for the book. I just ordered two of the other books everyone is talking about. My turn to send them on to you if you haven't read them- What time is the Midnight Buffet and Permanent Passenger let me know if you've read them. Karon:)

Thanks Karon!

I would love it if you could send those books when you are finished with them! I can either send them back to you or pass them along to other CC members like we are doing with Cruise Confiedentail! I'll email you with my address!

Thanks and Have a great weekend and a Fabulous 4th of July!!!!

Michelle

Thanks Karon!

I would love it if you could send those books when you are finished with them! I can either send them back to you or pass them along to other CC members like we are doing with Cruise Confiedentail! I'll email you with my address!

Thanks and Have a great weekend and a Fabulous 4th of July!!!!

Michelle

You got it! Same to you have a great 4th. and yes we'll continue the pass along. Karon:)

Archived