Do I have time to do the Paradise Point Skyline?

Marlene30CDN

Hi Everyone,

I'm going on my very first cruise this Sunday on Freedom of the Seas and I've decided to play it safe with my excursions and book through the cruise line.

We are in St. Thomas from 11AM until 7PM and I have booked my partner and I in with the St. John Snorkel and Beach excursion. It blocked off from 1PM until 5:45PM in the system.

My question - we would very much like to squeeze in the Paradise Point skyline to snap a few photos, etc before we get started at 1PM on our excursion. Is this realistic? How often does the skyline run up and down and does it take very long to get there?

Also, we've heard that those who aren't booked on RCCI excursions may not be the first people off the ship and since ours doesn't start until 1PM, should be just bite the bullet and shell out the extra few dollars to book Paradise Point through the cruise line to ensure we get off the ship?

And finally...as if that wasn't enough...if you book Paradise Point through the ship, does someone basically hold my hand and walk me the whopping five minutes to the base? :)

Thanks everyone!

Bon Voyage! I am setting sail on that ship Feb 2010! Have a great time!

I have been to St. Thomas and have been up to that sky ride. Yes, you can totally work this into your plans. You can walk off the ship in the morning, head across the street (to the left a little bit) and buy your ticket at the base of the Mountain. You can manage around an hour and fifteen mins (depending on the size of the line) or so to go up, take pixtures, and go back to the ship.

It is worth it! You get a great photo opportunity of your ship and the others in port. It is truly beautiful up there. Oh, and take some cash, there is a woman up there that will charge you $5 to take your pix w/her bird. She is a hoot! And they have a little cafe up there....have fun! Bring your binoculars too, or use the quarter machine up there in the view finder.

I would book it with RCL directly, it is @ same price (if my memory serves me correctly). You are safe to go on your own, but getting off the ship first, is a better idea...and would set your mind at ease so you could relax and enjoy it a little more. The ride to the top is minutes....

Oh, I am sorry, I didn't notice your other comment that you booked the snorkel/St. John....I am booked on that for the Feb 2010 sailing. We have never done that excursion before and would love your input.

My 11 yr old son and I will be excited to hear about your trip.

Thanks in advance!

-Michelle & Andrew

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am so excited!! Upon our return, I will post something about the St. John & Snorkel excursion for you.

Thanks Michelle & Andrew!

:)

Don't forget your sunscreen and a light jacket in the a.m....it is a bit chilly up there. Look forward to your post on St. John Snorkel....we are giving this to my son for a Christmas gift.

Hi Everyone,

Also, we've heard that those who aren't booked on RCCI excursions may not be the first people off the ship and since ours doesn't start until 1PM, should be just bite the bullet and shell out the extra few dollars to book Paradise Point through the cruise line to ensure we get off the ship?

And finally...as if that wasn't enough...if you book Paradise Point through the ship, does someone basically hold my hand and walk me the whopping five minutes to the base? :)

Thanks everyone!

We were on FOS in April - You dock in St. Thomas - you line up and walk off the ship - My experience is that having a ships excursion matters more in a tender port. The Skyway was actually $2 less when purchased through the ship in April - I don't know if that is always the case - my understanding is that it is a ticket valid for anytime that day.

If you go up to Paradise Point and you drink you must try their signature Bushwacker. They give you a small sample of each drink if you ask. The Bushwacker is so smooth but more than one you may not make it to your next excursion.

Archived