Accra beach, Barbados & Jolly beach Antigua

jackdiamond

I have already posted this inquiry on the respective ports of call boards. However, I would greatly appreciate the response of you folks to my questions which are:

1. Public bus transportation to and from the pier and Accra beach; and,

2. The same information vis-a-vis Jolly beach.

Thank you.

P.S. Last month we used the public bus for transortation to Dawn beach in Aruba; and, we were impressed.

I have already posted this inquiry on the respective ports of call boards. However, I would greatly appreciate the response of you folks to my questions which are:

1. Public bus transportation to and from the pier and Accra beach; and,

2. The same information vis-a-vis Jolly beach.

Thank you.

P.S. Last month we used the public bus for transortation to Dawn beach in Aruba; and, we were impressed.

I haven't spent much time in Antigua, so I can't say anything about it. Barbados, however, has an excellent bus system - at least they did a few years ago. Is it as good as what the Dutch has in Aruba? Probably not - but plenty good. I don't remember where Accra Beach is, but I've been all over that island at different times and I've actually never seen a road without bus signs, so they must go everywhere.

Many years ago, I came frighteningly close to missing a ship sailing when I got terribly lost in Barbados in a rental car. The only thing that saved us was discovering the frequency of bus signs and the fact that each and every one of them was marked "In Town" (heading toward Bridgetown) or "Out Town" (heading away). We got back to the ship with less than five minutes to spare and Captain Potonzoni (it was the old Fair Wind) was standing at the top of the gangway glaring at us like an outraged father at kids who break curfew!

D.

A few months we took the bus to Mullins beach on the west side but I gather Accra is on the south coast. The buses go all over the island. The bus station was an easy 10 minute walk from the pier. You can buy tokens from a kiosk at the station and they'll guide you to the proper bus. The tokens were about $1.50 each. On our return from the beach we used one of the private (yellow) buses and they accepted the tokens.

Archived