Random question: Is it possible to be around monkeys?

sppunk

I don't mean in the canal - but to encounter them in close-up situations? Like the sloth and all ... I've searched but can't find a definite answer.

We'll be in Limon in November and will travel as far as time allows if there is an option for us. :)

On our way back from the River Tubbing excursion the driver of the van noticed a family of Holler Monkeys in trees above the road. He pulled the van over and we got out to take pictures and observe the monkeys for a few minutes. It was kind of fun. Apparently the monkeys in Costa Rica rarely (if ever) leave trees and come down to ground level (at least per our guide) so if this is true the closest you could get is wathcing them from the ground while they are in the trees. If they start throwing twigs at you, get away as per the guide the next step is they poop into their hand and throw poop at you! Fortunately the monkeys we saw did not seem bothered by us at all. :)

P.S. Go Red Sox!

yes at the sloth santuary you can touch and get your pictures made with them and if you ask some of the private tours they will take you to homes with monkeys to take pictures holding them.

We were in Costa Rica on April 27th and booked an excursion with Okey Dokey Tours that included a stop where we could feed the monkeys. We were amazed at how gentle the monkeys were. They would come and open your hand and take their food. What a neat experience it was.

We were in Costa Rica on April 27th and booked an excursion with Okey Dokey Tours that included a stop where we could feed the monkeys. We were amazed at how gentle the monkeys were. They would come and open your hand and take their food. What a neat experience it was.

From your other post I would guess that we were on the same excursion however we were there in January. They when they stopped a lady came out of her home called the monkeys, I would estimate that we probably had more than two dozen white faced monkeys all around us in their natural habitat where as you say they took pieces of mellon and bananas from our hands.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did a land vacation in Costa Rica and saw monkeys at several different places. There were monkeys that lived in the trees at our hotel. We saw monkeys on an ATV adventure, and monkeys as we went on a Palo Verde river cruise. They are definately there if you look. I did not see any sloths, but I was told that they did not live in the area that I was.

Archived