Another question regarding Travel Insurance

mkeymse

We are booked on the Sensation departing May 24th (4 day). Didnt take the insurance but after reading here, it seems like something i want us to have. I was on insure my trip and there are so many policies. We do not need pre-existing condition (and i know it is impossible anyway). I would be traveling with DH and DS who is 6.

Basically, what policy do most of you go with and what kinds of limits. I dont want to go overboard buying but i dont want to be without if i ever needed it. Do I need 250k for medical or does something like 50k seem sufficient?

TIA-

so basically for about 141 i should go with 250k med and 1m for evac as opposed to 106 for 50k med 250k evac...... That is through CSA and i have seen that many times in the posts here. Has anyone experienced a bad situation with this company?

We are booked on the Sensation departing May 24th (4 day). Didnt take the insurance but after reading here, it seems like something i want us to have. I was on insure my trip and there are so many policies. We do not need pre-existing condition (and i know it is impossible anyway). I would be traveling with DH and DS who is 6.

Basically, what policy do most of you go with and what kinds of limits. I dont want to go overboard buying but i dont want to be without if i ever needed it. Do I need 250k for medical or does something like 50k seem sufficient?

TIA-

I have always used Travelex Lite. Kids are free on the policy. Friends of ours who cruised with us a couple years back bought it also and had a claim. Had a check in hand 2 weeks after submitting the claim.

Bill

so basically for about 141 i should go with 250k med and 1m for evac as opposed to 106 for 50k med 250k evac...... That is through CSA and i have seen that many times in the posts here. Has anyone experienced a bad situation with this company?

The $10,ooo medical that the Cruiseline policies offer is pretty weak, as is the $25,ooo or $30,000 MedEvac coverage (OnCall recommends at least $50,000 MedEvac in the Caribbean).

The CSA Policy has excellent coverages and a few niceties tossed in if you read it carefully. Be aware that if you purchase CSA within 20 days of sailing, you get added 20% discount!!!.

With a kid, the other policy to look at is TravelInsured which covers 1 kid per covered adult for free AND offers extended School year coverage.

ken

Go to Google and put in trip insurance and you will get more than you need.

Just rememeber, that most insurance is secondary, so you will firdt have to go to your

health or other insurer before you can collect.

American Express has some good products at reasonable cost.

The younger you are the less it should cost.

Does anyone happen to have a comprehensive post about travel insurance bookmarked?

Carnival’s Berkley and 3rd Party Trip Insurance

I’ve been researching the Carnival Berkley Policy versus various 3rd Party Policies as listed on www.insuremytrip.com and www.buyamericaninsurance.com .

I did find some surprising (little known?) coverages in the Carnival Policy:

• The Carnival policy is fully refundable if you cancel Cruise Booking & Trip Insurance prior to Final Payment deadline.
  • If your Carnival insurance claim is declined due to a Pre-Existing Medical condition, you will still receive the claim amount as credit toward a future cruise.
  • Carnival Insurance guarantees a $1000 payment to the Hospital if required for your admittance.
  • Carnival Insurance arranges for your Medical Evacuation and guarantees (pre-pays) the transportation company.
  • According to Carnival and Berkley Reps (and the Trip Insurance Airfare FAQ’s) the Carnival Insurance Trip Cancellation coverage also covers Non-Carnival Airfare!!! I have some trouble believing this! But from a careful reading of the words of the Policy, one could infer this to be the case!

With Respect To other 3rd Party Policies, the Carnival Berkley Policy is “lacking” in these areas:

• Carnival Policy has No Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions
  • Carnival’s $30,000 Medical Evacuation coverage is barely adequate for the Caribbean and very low for European Cruises.
  • Carnival’s $10,000 Medical coverage is pretty low.
  • Carnival has no Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Coverage for Airline Flights or for the Cruise.
  • Carnival’s premiums are overall higher than the 3rd party policies which have better coverages. The Carnival premiums are MUCH higher for younger travelers, who can save 50% or more, with higher coverages, by using the 3rd party policies.

The following 3 Policies stand-out for the indicated reasons:

PATRIOT T.R.I.P. is an (almost) comparable policy in coverages (except for too low coverage for Medical Evacuation and for Baggage Delay/Loss), with MUCH lower premiums.

TRAVEL INSURED LITE EXPANDED is about 25% less expensive for Senior Travelers and some 50% less expensive for Younger Travelers. The policy offers much higher Medical Expense and Medical Evacuation coverages, and includes Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions, optional AD&D coverage, 1 kid per adult insured FREE, and Trip Cancellation coverage for Extended School Schedule.

CSA FREESTYLE looks to give the “best bang for the buck” with much higher/better coverag (for all but Baggage Delay/Loss). The policy includes coverages for Missed Connection, Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions when purchased as late as FINAL Payment, Rental Car CDW, and AD&D Flight coverage. The premiums are lower for Seniors and quite a bit lower for Younger Travelers, but you can decrease those premiums by 20% more if you purchase your policy less than 20 days before sailing (I suspect that you lose the Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions).

Noteworthy coverages are indicated in bold.

· Several Policies include EXTENSION OF SCHOOL YEAR as a covered reason for cancellation: CSA, TRAVEL-INSURED

· Several policies specifically include MISSED [AIRPORT] CONNECTION coverage: CSA, PATRIOT-TRIP, TRAVEL-INSURED

· Several Policies include EMPLOYER LAYOFF as covered reason for cancellation: CSA, TRAVELEX, PATRIOT-TRIP

· Several policies cover Kids free for insured parents: TRAVELEX, TRAVEL-INSURED

· Several Policies offer CANCEL FOR BUSINESS REASONS option: CSA, TRAVELEX, TRAVEL-INSURED, AIG

· Several Policies offer CANCEL FOR MILITARY REASONS OPTION: TRAVELEX

· Several Policies offer CANCEL FOR ANY REASON option: CSA LUXE (up to 100% Refund), TRAVEL-INSURED (75% Refund), AIG CRUISE (75% Refund), TravelSafe

· Several Policies provide 150% OF TRIP COST reimbursement for Trip Interruption which better covers Expenses AND Airline Ticket.

· Several Policies offer Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage for covered Airline flights.

· Several Policies return your premium if you cancel your cruise booking.

· The CSA Policies offer “Last Minute Purchase” 20% discount for purchase 20 days before departure.

· Travel Safe has the most detailed Policy.

For policies marked “secondary”, you will have to FIRST file with any of your existing Medical Plans, Homeowner’s Policies, or Credit Card Policies that apply; the “secondary” policy will cover (up to it’s limits) any expenses not paid by your PRIMARY policies.

For whichever of your Health Coverages (your own Health Plan or your Trip Insurance Plan) is PRIMARY, you probably want to use the Doctors/Facilities enrolled with that PRIMARY plan, in order to maximize benefits.

WRT premium costs, The Cruise Line policies noticeably discriminate against young and middle-aged cruisers – younger cruisers in particular should seriously consider these 3rd party policies that also factor age into the premium calculation. For Cruisers over age 60 the 3rd party std policy premiums are fairly close to those of the Cruise Lines, but with much better coverages than the Cruise Line coverages.

I did a side-by-side comparison of a number of policies, but too large for attachment- shoot me an e-mail if you want. Ken

A medical evacuation from the ship back to the US runs around $100,000.

Also note that most of the policies actually state:

(1) your "evacuation" will be to the nearest medical facility adequate to treat your condition (and then back to USA if it doesn't workout), and

(2) that medical evacuation has to be first coordinated thru the Insurer.

ken

I also have a couple of questions about insurance. If you don't have your own insurance is there a plan you can purchase that will be a primary? Also if you purchased insurance through Carnival already can you cancel and purchase through someone else?

I also have a couple of questions about insurance. If you don't have your own insurance is there a plan you can purchase that will be a primary? Also if you purchased insurance through Carnival already can you cancel and purchase through someone else?

There are several PRIMARY plans - TravelEx Plus and TravelEx TravelLite, and Patriot TRIP (not a bad, low-priced policy!) and Patriot Elite. I'd expect these to be a bit more expensive than the Secondary Policies, as if you have a claim, they have to pay out the full claim amount.

Make sure you understand, if you buy secondary coverage plan it pays after any other policy you MIGHT have - if you don't have another policy then that secondary policy will pay the full benefits it advertises!!!!

Carnival's Berkely will refund your premium if you cancel your cruise before final payment, but not if you just cancel the insurance.

If you've already purchased Carnival Insurance, it's not a bad plan, there's just better plans and (especially if you're "younger") much less expensive plans.

Post added ??? if this isn't clear!!!

ken

There are several PRIMARY plans - TravelEx Plus and TravelEx TravelLite, and Patriot TRIP (not a bad, low-priced policy!) and Patriot Elite. I'd expect these to be a bit more expensive than the Secondary Policies, as if you have a claim, they have to pay out the full claim amount.

Make sure you understand, if you buy secondary coverage plan it pays after any other policy you MIGHT have - if you don't have another policy then that secondary policy will pay the full benefits it advertises!!!!

Carnival's Berkely will refund your premium if you cancel your cruise before final payment, but not if you just cancel the insurance.

If you've already purchased Carnival Insurance, it's not a bad plan, there's just better plans and (especially if you're "younger") much less expensive plans.

Post added ??? if this isn't clear!!!

ken

Thanks for the reply. Wanted info for the future.

Yes. I just purchased a travelguard plan that had an option to upgrade the medical to primary.

I just read the TravelGuard Policy and it looks to be Primary in the first place? I see an upgrade to an umbrella coverage. Can you post where you saw the upgrade to Primary? thanks, ken

I went directly to the TravelGuard site. I selected the "My Travelguard" policy and added what I needed. One of the options was to make the medical coverage primary. Another was for 1,000,000 evac to hospital of choice, etc.

$115 total for both of us. We travel in less than 20 days and are in our late 30's.

from my policy -

Standard Packages

ACCIDENT AND SICKNESS MEDICAL EXPENSES $10000.00 Per Insured

BAGGAGE & TRAVEL DOCUMENTS $500.00 Per Insured

BAGGAGE DELAY $100.00 Per Insured

EMERGENCY MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION $100000.00 Per Insured

LIVETRAVEL ASSISTANCE

-- Per Insured

TRAVEL GUARD ASSIST

-- Per Insured

TRIP CANCELLATION 100% Trip Cost Per Insured

TRIP DELAY $500.00 Per Insured $100.00 Payout Limit Per Day

TRIP INTERRUPTION 100% Trip Cost Per Insured

TRIP INTERRUPTION - RETURN AIR $1000.00 Per Insured

Optional Packages

"Hospital of Choice" Evac Upgrade

EMERGENCY EVACUATION

$1000000.00 Per Insured

HOSPITAL BENEFIT

-- Per Insured

Medical Expense Upgrade (Primary Coverage)

ACCIDENT AND SICKNESS MEDICAL EXPENSES

$25000.00 Per Insured

• Administrators
I went directly to the TravelGuard site. I selected the "My Travelguard" policy and added what I needed. One of the options was to make the medical coverage primary. Another was for 1,000,000 evac to hospital of choice, etc.

That's the policy I often use, for the same reasons -- I like being able to tweak it.

To the person advising someone to "google travel insurance" -- I think that's really poor advice. :( This is an industry which has seen many problems over the last few years, for a variety of reasons, including the fact that there are companies offering what appears to be "insurance" (which is a regulated product) but is actually a "protection policy" or "guarantee," which isn't regulated by anyone. http://www.elliott.org/blog/the-prime-travel-protection-services-mystery-is-solved/, and http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30688245/ have more information. It's very important to educate yourself in this area and be sure of exactly what you are purchasing, and what it covers.

Bandman That's great! I'm keeping a side-by-side comparison on the popular policies, and must have missed that. TravelInsured has something similar. Thanks, Ken

Ken - I added some more info to my post.

Not exactly on topic, but there is a company called MedJetAssist, that, for $250/yr, will evacuate you from pretty much anywhere, to anywhere - they will bring you back to the States if you are hospitalized anywhere else, without the medical necessity clause, etc.

While $250 seems a lot for a one-time trip, if you travel a lot it's not bad, and you can get by with less expensive "all-inclusive" type travel insurance, because you can get back to the States easier, where your regular medical insurance can pick up the tab.

i always get travelx through my agent. never thoguht about the evac to where ever thing! i will have to read my policy over! thanks

You should check that...you could get a brain transplant for less than it costs to med-evac from Mexico:D

What type of coverage do I need to buy that protects us in case anything happens prior to our trip?

This is my FIRST time to post anything on the site.

Our first Alaskan cruise is 7/4/09; I am so excited. We will be gone for 15 days.

Archived