Need Directions to the Pier in Tampa

Bandit

My family and I have booked the night before the cruise at the Springhill Suites Tampa Westshore Airport hotel.

Four of us are driving in form out of state. The other family members are flying in from Texas.

We are sailing on the Granduer of the seas on 7 Dec. Will arrive in Tampa on 6 Dec.

Can anyone give us direction from the hotel to the pier?

We arrive on a Sunday. Coming in on 589 the toll road. Never been on it before. And the best way to get to the hotel would be?

The hotel is located on 4835 W Cypress Street, Tampa, Florida.

I know someone in Tampa should be able to help me with directions. Thanks. Appreciate any assistance.

Bandit

I will be on that same sailing. If you are taking the Crosstown you will get off at the Ybor City exit and take a left at Adamo Drive....you can get printed directions at mapquest.com

The front desk at your hotel will be glad to give you written directions to the pier. The directions from Cusyl will direct you to the freight piers! :eek: Why don't you check out leaving your car at the hotel. R/T taxi will be cheaper then the cost of parking at the pier. If you need a larger taxi, ask the front desk clerk to call a cab and ask for a minivan. Also your hotel may have a package with transfers. Here is a link to a few hotels with cruise packages. It may be worth it to stay elsewhere if you find its more convenient.

Good luck,

http://www.visittampabay.com/static/index.cfm?action=group&contentID=851

Mark

Where are you coming from that you'll be coming into Tampa on 589?

GoogleMaps & Mapquest send you on what, to me, is a roundabout way to get there. I'd suggest this route from the hotel to the port:

East on Cypress to Westshore (it's only about 50 yards, the hotel is just east of the intersection of those 2 roads; I don't remember if there is a traffic cut in front of the hotel - it's a divided road - you might have to go right out of the parking lot & then make a Uturn).

S on Westshore to I-275 - get on I-275 North.

Exit 44, Downtown East/Downtown West. When you exit, you'll be on Scott St, going east. Stay on it to Orange Ave.

Left on Orange (now going south). A block or 2 down it makes a little jog to the left & the road name changes to Pierce St, but you won't even notice if you aren't reading signs.

Couple of blocks down, left on Twiggs. Stay on Twiggs until it deadends at Channelside Drive. Right on Channelside, which will bring you right to the cruise port.

Mark's suggestion to consider a cab (especially if the hotel will let you leave your car there for free) is a good one. Cab would likely only be $20 or so each way; I think it's about $15 a day to park at the cruise port's garage.

We are coming in from Alabama.

Don't want to go down thru the middle of Florida on the I-75 because it is too crowded.

That is why we are taking Highway 19 from Tallahassee. Much less traffic. Will pick-up toll road 589 shortly after Homosassa.

It is an 8 hour drive for us to Tampa and any delay in leaving our car at a hotel and waiting for a van or a taxi to get back to the hotel is not in our schedule. Have to get home and pick-up the dog and drop other couple off. Just too many delays. With 4 people sharing the parking fee it won't be so bad. Thanks for your suggestions.

Using that hotel because of the great rates. We all got suites for $89.00. That includes taxes and breakfast. It is close to the airport for our family arriving from Texas. All the other hotels I looked at were way out of line for us. Would rather spend those extra bucks on shore excursions and things on the ship.

You all have been quite helpful and we do appreciate it. It's really nice to know that you can go on these boards and ask a question and get an answer.

Regards

Bandit

The front desk at your hotel will be glad to give you written directions to the pier. The directions from Cusyl will direct you to the freight piers! :eek: Mark

LOL, I should have continued to say Adamo to the end and turn left and drive to Channelside. Sorry..:D

Figured you must be coming from the panhandle or somewhere in that vicinity if you were coming into Tampa on the Suncoast/Veterans (the "word" name for toll road 589).

Exit hwy 589 at the Spruce St exit; go east on Spruce to Westshore Blvd. Turn right (south) on Westshore (first major road you come to). Go down a few blocks to Cypress. Turn right, the hotel is almost immediately on your right.

You're coming down Rte 19? Hope you like traffic lights.

Also, keep in mind that Veteran's Expressway is a toll road, which I hate with a passion. I used to drive between Atlanta and Tampa 3-4 times a year, never found I-75 all that crowded, but, to each his own

You're coming down Rte 19? Hope you like traffic lights.

Also, keep in mind that Veteran's Expressway is a toll road, which I hate with a passion. I used to drive between Atlanta and Tampa 3-4 times a year, never found I-75 all that crowded, but, to each his own

He won't be hitting that many traffic lights on the drive he's making. If he's coming from LA (Lower Alabama) he's probably picking up 19/27 somewhere around Tallahassee, taking it down through the rural areas. There's nothing at all between Tally & Perry (60 miles), then only a couple of small towns with only a couple of lights apiece between Perry and Crystal River. The stretch through CR is about the only congested area he'll hit.

I take that path frequently when I go to Tallahassee. It's almost entirely uncongested highway, virtually all 4 lane, divided road, with a 65 mph speed limit on most of it. Only thing you have to worry about is having a deer hop out in front of you, especially if you're driving after dark.

I take that path frequently when I go to Tallahassee. It's almost entirely uncongested highway, virtually all 4 lane, divided road, with a 65 mph speed limit on most of it. Only thing you have to worry about is having a deer hop out in front of you, especially if you're driving after dark.

Ditto. I also take that way to Tallahassee....which is a few times a year.

The Suncoast/Veterans is easy to navigate. Just keep your eyes open when you go around the airport. Lots of lane changes over there due to construction. If your using a navigation device, don't use it by the airport. It probably hasn't been updated in the airport area. Make sure you get off at Spruce St. and follow Seapa's directions. And stay away from the Penthouse Club around the corner from your hotel. Or you will spend the week in the Doghouse!:D

Mark

Archived