A Testament to Hartmann Rolling Garment Bags and Dry Cleaners Bags

greatam

I have used them for years-I travel internationally a lot for business. Yes, they are heavy. Yes, they are expensive (but you can get them on Ebay for MUCH less). But my latest experience takes the cake.

I spent January, February and most of March on business travel in the MidEast and Asia. I needed dress clothes (formal), business casual clothes, Levis and heavy work boots. DH was also going to fly over to meet me when I was about finished with business and we were going to travel around the MidEast and Asia on the way home, so he needed dress clothes (a tux and a suit).

I loaded my Hartmann with both of our dress clothes and my business casual clothes including 4 blazers and 6 pairs of Docker plus my "better t-shirts" and tops. My other checked suitcase had all my Levi's, heavy work boots, "work" t-shirts and shoes plus all the "stuff" I needed traveling around Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. I had to take lots of "extra" stuff-flashlights, bedding, LOTS of business supplies, etc. When DH met me, we shipped a lot of stuff home from Kuwait City via military mail. So I left Kuwait City with my Hartmann rolling garment bag stuffed to the gills and the large suitcase that was almost empty, except for Dockers and tops for both of us. DH had traveled with only his carryon. We arrived back in the US on March 17.

I COMPLETELY forgot to unpack the Hartmann until today. It somehow got pushed into the hall closet. I was looking for my favorite linen blazer (had it cleaned at Camp Arifjan, Kuwait and it was in my garment bag). I took the stuff out and WOW!!!!. EVERYTHING was just the way it came out of the cleaners in either Bangkok or Camp Arifjan. I put the linen blazer on for a meeting this afternoon. Looked like I had just gotten it out of the cleaners. Not even a touch up needed. A true testament to the power of dry cleaner bags and my Hartmann luggage.

http://www.worldtraveler.com/Detail.asp?ProductID=25179

Hartmann is my dream luggage. My favorite is Wings, love the stuff. This is the kind of luggage you buy once, for life. It is heavy, but if you pack accordingly it will not be overweight.

Now until May 31 they are having a special, buy one piece, get the second for 50% off. It is pricey, but this makes it a lot more affordable. Along with Tumi being 20% off right now, there are some great deals on luxury quality luggage.

The luggage store I work in part time now has some lines with a lower price point and it is an eye opener to see the difference. We just got in a line, Delsey Helium Pilot that is supposed to be lightweight, it is advertised as such. I compared weights and it is just as heavy, or heavier, than better quality luggage. The price is a bit lower, but you get what you pay for.

For me, the big difference is the framing, a heavier, sturdier piece will hold up better in transit and protect your belongings far better than lower cost luggage. Yes....the airlines can damage even the best luggage, but the better brands are worth fixing and will protect the contents far better.

Greatam, you don't have to "sell" me on the quality as I know it's there. We had a piece that was under our air conditioning vent and the air cond. froze, condensation poured out over the case. My boss though it would be a total loss and put the case in the stock room. The next day after it dried you could not tell the piece had been soaking wet. The moisture didn't even get into the inside of the case. This was their new tweed. We get older pieces of Hartmann in that are 20 years old, the fabric still intact and looking great.

Archived