Major Tom cave tubing

tampacruiser1006

We will be doing this tour in July 2009. Lunch is extra. Husband and I are picky eaters. Anyone tell us about the lunch on the tour and if it was good? Considering just bringing sandwiches from the ship.

What do you mean by picky eaters ? On our tours with cave tubing vendors the traditional meal is chicken and rice.....A Belizean tradition, but there were other items on the menu. Be careful on bringing any food that is non pre packaged off the ship as it is not allowed to leave the ship in ports of call.

I just returned from my cruise, and one of our excursions was the Major Tom Cave Tubing through ****************. We had an absolutely fantastic time. Guides were funny & very informative. We heard many others going past us w/other vendors and they were complaining about being rushed, etc. Our guides never rushed us, and it was great.

I didn't order the lunch, but wish that I had it smelled wonderful. Due to time constraints, lunch was served on the bus to those who had ordered it. It consisted of chicken, rice/beans, coleslaw, fried plaintains and a drink. I heard alot of great things about the taste of the food.

I would highly recommend this excursion through Major Tom!

:pWe just returned this morning from Carnival Freedom and we visited Belize.

We were originally scheduled for Cozumel but it was changed to Belize and I think everyone was glad they did. I think Belize is much prettier and more to do than Cozumel.

We did the private excursion through Major Tom and we were not disappointed. We took the first tenders off the ship and were immediately met with signs from them, After a short wait for the rest of the guests, from the Freedom, 8 in all we started out on our excursion. Major Tom immediately puts you at ease. This was our first private excursion and I worry alot about being left by the ship if you do not get back in time.

No need to worry with him as he also has his own tender.

Our guides were Mike and Jenny from Major Tom and they were both great.

We had 2 guides to just 8 people. Major Tom's first concern is your safety so everyone must wear a life preserver. After about a 30 minute in the rain forest, not a bad walk at all, you start your floating down the crystal clear river into the caves. Each person is hooked onto each other so you all drift together, again for safety. You are also given a headlamp so that you can see in the caves. The water felt very refreshing as it is very hot in Belize. After about a 40 minute ride through the caves you float outside and then return to the bus. Our lunch was very good and as time was an issue we ate in the bus on the way back to the ship. We had soft drinks, chicken, rice and beans, potatoe salad or macaroni salad and it was all very good. Our guides were exceptional and at the end Major Tom was there as promised. There are several other companies that you can choose and they all pretty much go on the same route but the other company was very loud and shouting in the caves and we wanted to enjoy the peace in the caves and it was great.

I would definitely book with him again.

Hope this helps.:p

:pWe just returned this morning from Carnival Freedom and we visited Belize.

We were originally scheduled for Cozumel but it was changed to Belize and I think everyone was glad they did. I think Belize is much prettier and more to do than Cozumel.

We did the private excursion through Major Tom and we were not disappointed. We took the first tenders off the ship and were immediately met with signs from them, After a short wait for the rest of the guests, from the Freedom, 8 in all we started out on our excursion. Major Tom immediately puts you at ease. This was our first private excursion and I worry alot about being left by the ship if you do not get back in time.

No need to worry with him as he also has his own tender.

Our guides were Mike and Jenny from Major Tom and they were both great.

We had 2 guides to just 8 people. Major Tom's first concern is your safety so everyone must wear a life preserver. After about a 30 minute in the rain forest, not a bad walk at all, you start your floating down the crystal clear river into the caves. Each person is hooked onto each other so you all drift together, again for safety. You are also given a headlamp so that you can see in the caves. The water felt very refreshing as it is very hot in Belize. After about a 40 minute ride through the caves you float outside and then return to the bus. Our lunch was very good and as time was an issue we ate in the bus on the way back to the ship. We had soft drinks, chicken, rice and beans, potatoe salad or macaroni salad and it was all very good. Our guides were exceptional and at the end Major Tom was there as promised. There are several other companies that you can choose and they all pretty much go on the same route but the other company was very loud and shouting in the caves and we wanted to enjoy the peace in the caves and it was great.

I would definitely book with him again.

Hope this helps.:p

Hey Nancy- How long were you in Belize? We are going there next week on the Legend and are they from 8-5. Did you cut it close with time? You say that he has his own tender..so does that mean he brings you all the way back to the ship himself? Sorry, for all he questions..this is my 2nd cruise and 1st time going to a tendered port.

Thank you :)

We took the ship's tender both ways but according to Maj. Tom he also has a tender and could take you if the ship had already left. He told us in 12 years no one has ever been left by the ship. We were in Belize from 7:00 am - 4:00 pm. We left on the third tender of the ship and arrived on shore about 8:15 am and waited about 20 minutes for others to arrive and they didn't come so he sent us ahead and when the others arrived he took them and then they joined us and finished about 15 minutes later.

They got us back to the tender area at 2:15 pm (where the shopping is) 1 hr. before the last tender was to leave for the ship. We were told that the last tender would leave from the shore at 3:15 pm, but of course the last tender didn't get back to the ship until about 4:10 so I think they just tell you that so you won't be that late.

If you are going to book with him you can do it by e-mail and he will get back with you very quickly and confirm your reservation. Hope this helps. I will be glad to answer any other questions.

He will come to where they meet you and introduce himself to you and will answer any questions that you have.:)

Major Tom rocks. His equipment is top notch, after our Legend cruise I shipped him all new LED lamps from here in Florida. I had picked some up for him and taken them down and he loved them.

Mike is a terrific guide.

Lunch is usually stewed chicken, red beans and rice cooked in coconut milk, cole slaw, fried plantains and limeaid. You can also purchase the local Belikin beer. Mike gave me his Mom's recipe for the red beans and rice and I make it often here at home.

Have fun!

I would have to agree with everyone. Maj Tom and his group do a great job. I always felt safe, never rushed. We were behind on time and they called ahead to let the tender people know that we were running late, and they held the tenders for us. We were the last tender to go. We did have the lunch and it is top notch! So good! I would order it a head of time, it helps the guys know how many to get and then the restaurant is ready as well. I just makes it all go smoother. Enjoy!!

hello, nancy i was one of the eight with you. china1234, e-mail major tom. dot net. he is very safety orientated. you do walk a while with your tube and then interlock feet to arms. make a chain. mike was the guide that all the other guides followed. this is time and safety always in mind. i would do this excursion again.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know... If you only book the cave tubing, do you have to wait for others who may have booked the cave-tubing and zip-lining combo? I hope not, but just wondered how that works. Thanks!

Anyone know... If you only book the cave tubing, do you have to wait for others who may have booked the cave-tubing and zip-lining combo? I hope not, but just wondered how that works. Thanks!

No. We booked cave tubing only. Those that signed up for the zip-lining went with a different guide in a different van.

We'll be doing the cave-tubing with Major Tom on June 30th (arriving on the Carnival Glory). I'm still trying to figure out which type of shoe to wear, either old sneakers to leave behind for the locals or a water shoe?

Also, someone just posted that they had some trouble with fire ants while doing the tour. Has anyone else???!!!

We went with Major Tom the 1st week of June and they were great. The water was very low so the tubing was just ok. The walk was not as bad as so many people had described, but it was hot!

We only did the Tubing and we DID have to wait for the combo folks to return to the bus. It wasn't a long wait but the guides had started moving the combo folks items to another bus when they returned and it didn't set well with some of them who really got an attitude!

I do recommend ordering the lunch ($6), they will give it to you on the bus so if you do have to wait you can eat in the air conditioned bus and then relax on the ride back. We did not order lunch but when we saw & smelt it decided that we were hungry! They were able to find a few lunches that were available and we split them, They were very good and we would have loved to have the entire thing pp but there weren't any more extras.

Hope you have a great time.:D

• 4 weeks later...

My family of four was signed up for the tubing/ zip line tour with Major Tom for the week of June 21 (too lazy to look up the exact day). We were on Carnival Valor. After a slightly hairy 1 hour bus ride (exactly like I'd expect in a 3rd world country) we arrived at the park, which was very busy. Our guide informed us that the zip line area was very busy (there were 3 ships in Belize that day) and if it was ok with everyone, we would do the cave tubing first.

It was a pretty long walk, I'm guessing 30-45 minutes, on a dirt trail through the jungle and river, while carrying your inner tube, PFD and headlight. I would definitely wear something other than flip-flops. I wore sandals (strap on) and my kids wore old sneakers and everyone was fine with that. That day bugs were not a problem at all and none of us was wearing bug spray. We finished the cave tubing and then we were told that we would not have time to do the zip line. We had paid for the lunch and were given box lunches of rice, a piece of chicken and bottle of juice. The food was good. I had asked about refunds for the zip lining and was told that Major Tom would take care of that. After we returned to town, it was very close to our final tender, I again asked about the refund, especially since I had paid in cash. The staff tried to contact Major Tom, unsuccessfully and I left my information with them and waited some more, for the staff to contact him. It got to the point that I couldn't wait any longer and had to leave for the tender. I had sent Major Tom an email about the refund, to which he did reply, and he even followed that up with a phone call to our home (and left a message because we were not home yet). He acknowledged that he will send the refund via PayPal, but as of this date we have not received it 2-1/2 weeks later. I am patiently waiting.

We just returned from the Valor. While in Belize, we did the cave tubing excursion with Major Tom. This company could not be more top notch. Very professional. We left the pier and took a long drive (approx. 1 hour) to the rainforest. Along the way, our guides basically gave us a tour of Belize City and provided many interesting facts about the country (currency, population, info on schools, religion, etc.). It was great as I did not know much about Belize prior to the tour.

When we arrived at the rainforest, it was very busy with other tours. It seemed they were all being rushed through. We were given time for a restroom break and time to grab our gear before the walk/hike began. My husband and I both wore water shoes ($4.99 at Academy Sports). No complaints whatsoever. I was concerned about mosquitoes but were told by our guide (Edgar) that there are bats in the caves and they take care of the mosquitoes.

We had 10 people in our chain. We were linked feet/arms. Very comfortable experience. Our guide was amazing. He always made sure to point out figures in the caves. He took us over to the waterfall in the cave (no other groups did this). He gave us a Mayan history lesson. Totally cool!

After we got out of the caves, he let us float down the river (unattached) and pulled my husband and I into a little cove to take our picture.

I cannot tell you what an awesome experience we had! GREAT time. Edgar rocks!!

We are booked on this excusrion thru Major Tom on 7/30. Has anyone else done the combo and did you feel uncomfortably rushed? This is the only excursion that I am really worried about - not missing the boat and having enough time. Not really looking to shop or anything in port. Just looking to enjoy both experiences without worrying.

TIA!

I am also interested in others that have done the combo. My DS and friends are booked on it, they are on the Valor in 3 weeks. This is the first private tour I have ever booked and it is not even for me. I would be crushed if the "kids" were stuck in Belize because they missed the tender. I also hope they get to do the zip line as it only one I have booked for them and they will be very disappointed if they don't get to do it. I'm thinking if it seems to be common that there is not time to do it, I'll book a second just to be safe. Thanks.

Archived