Sensation-1st day-any buffets/meals in front part of ship?

ms simba

My sister (71 years old and ill) and I will be going on a Sensation cruise October 2009. I have booked us in the front of the ship, Cabin E56, to minimize the amount of walking she has to do to the dining room and lounge. But now I am wondering about food options on the first day (the Lido dining is too far away especially on the 1st day). How early can I get room service knowing that the staff is particularly busy right after embarkation? Should we bring some food on board with us? I am concerned because my sister is diabetic and needs to eat a lunch but cannot do a lot of walking at times.

Also, what about breakfast? Is it served in the Fantasy dining room (this is where we will be eating). If so, at what times is breakfast served?

Does anyone have a picture or copy of what the recent room service menu is for the Fantasy ships?

Are there any buffets in the front part of the ship?

Upon embarkation, the only place to get food is in the Lido. I don't think room service is offered until later in the day. However, the Lido does have a grill (hamburgers, chicken, hot dogs, etc) that is offered by the mid-ship lido pool... it's not nearly as far back as the other buffet lines. This would be the closest place to eat the day you board the ship. Cabin E56 is near the front elevators, so just a ride up to Lido Deck and a brief walk to the pool will get you there!

Now I can rest easy! I didn't think anyone was up this late. Thanks for the information. I can just go up to the Lido pool and get us something. What a relief to know there is somewhere close for me to get something for my sister. Thanks again!

I would highly recommend bringing a wheelchair, or arranging to rent one, while on board. My parents have dealt with this issue with my dad's sister, and without a wheelchair she simply wouldn't be able to get around. The last few cruises they've rented an electric wheelchair to give her a little more independence, as she is unable to get around on her own in a regular one.

I always book in the aft, because I know the dining room and lido are both in the aft. We also are trying to miimize walking. I always tell folks less walking if you are in the aft.

Can you move to a more convenient location. Only the spa and theater are in the front, everything else you will have to walk to.

I would highly recommend bringing a wheelchair, or arranging to rent one, while on board. My parents have dealt with this issue with my dad's sister, and without a wheelchair she simply wouldn't be able to get around. The last few cruises they've rented an electric wheelchair to give her a little more independence, as she is unable to get around on her own in a regular one.

One of my friends rented a wheelchair on her last cruise.. I would suggest that you call and see if you can book one ahead of time. Being diabetic myself, I always bring small cans of juice as well as crackers, etc. Better to be safe then sorry. Have a great time on your forth coming cruise.;)

When we were on Conquest, they said if they have them available, we could have one for a $50 deposit and get the deposit back when we brought back the wheelchair and use it for as much of the cruise as we wanted. We were thinking of using it only in Cozumel and they had plenty on our ship available, but you couldnt hold one ahead of time, had to do it once you reached the ship, per Special Needs.

I never thought about bringing my sister up to the lido deck and then going to get the food. Good suggestion.

Wheelchair sounds good but nobody to push it. Electric wheelchair too expensive and I don't think she would use it. On our last vacation, I rented an electric scooter for her and she refused to use it. She values the little bit of independence she has - very stubborn! As I said she can walk, just not great distances (one end of ship to the other) and especially not right after embarkation.

I chose the front part of the ship to be near the Fantasy Dining room and the Fantasia show area. I found there were more shows in the front part of the ship than in the back.

Are there any buffets in the front part of the ship at anytime during the cruise?

What is the difference in the menus between the Lido pool and Lido buffet? What will be missing out on if we do not go to the Lido buffet?

Does anyone have a menu listing what they typically serve at the Lido buffet at lunch time?

What is the difference in the menus between the Lido pool and Lido buffet? What will be missing out on if we do not go to the Lido buffet?

Does anyone have a menu listing what they typically serve at the Lido buffet at lunch time?

They have a little bit of something for everyone. I do the plate for DH and DS's and they are picky eaters. It is easy to find food.

I chose the front part of the ship to be near the Fantasy Dining room and the Fantasia show area. I found there were more shows in the front part of the ship than in the back.

Are there any buffets in the front part of the ship at anytime during the cruise?

There are no buffets in the front of the ship. None. (and no dining room either).

The buffet is just steps behind the pool buffet you say you can walk to. The doors are right next to the buffet area and its air conditioned inside to eat. If you can walk to the food which is to the aft of the pool area, i.e. not exactly midship, but aft of the main pool, you can walk on thru the doors I would think to the buffet, its only a few steps further.

Im confused you say you choose front to be near the dining room when one is midship and one is aft?? Look at the deck plans and you will see there is no dining room in the front. midship is one and aft is the other, thats why we choose midship and aft, only theater is in the front that my sister goes to who has mobility issues. We loved the convenient of being midship Empress deck on Ecstasy (which is also a Fantasy class ship like yours).

The first day it doesn't really matter how far you are from your room as you can't go to your room until after 1:00 or so anyway. Just go straight to the elevators upon embarking and up to the Lido deck. Then go out to the pool and plunk down in a lounge chair. Someone will be by in a jiffy with a drink. Enjoy your drink, then go get lunch for your sister and yourself. You can get burgers or pizza, or get in line for the buffet. After eating, relax awhile, then go find your room. Take a nap until muster and then you will have to go to your muster station, which hopefully will be in the show theater and you can just take an elevator to it. After that, enjoy your cruise!

Sewut

This is another topic but might help you, when you go to embark, look inside for someone to assist with a wheelchair. If you don't do this, you and your sister could be standing in line for quite some time, possibly outside.

There are Carnival employees who will push your sister onto the ship and either up to your room or to the buffet area. They appreciate a small tip for the service and it's worth it. My father-in-law is unable to stand for longer than a few minutes and uses this service every time they cruise.

Have a great time!

Ms B

Yes, I had talked to my PVP and the special needs department about needing a wheelchair for sister upon embarkation. They are putting that down on our ressies but I know that really it will be up to me to ferret someone out to do the wheelchair/push sister thing. I never thought about having that same person push her to the Lido buffet area (or room) upon embarkation. I know you can't get into your room until later so this would work out great! I tip all the time. I was a food waitress and a bar waitress in my younger days so I know that tips are appreciated and should always be given for service. Thank you for being understanding of my sister's plight.

I wasn't very great at communicating my plans about dining and the shows. I do know the location of the Fantasy dining room. I would have preferred to be midship but the handicapped cabins that were available were only in the front. So I wanted a dining room and a show area that was closer to our front cabin than the ones at the aft of the ship. On my first cruise we (my nephew and I) stayed in an Inspiration Cabin, M298, which was wonderful for the handicapped and especially good for me with an electric scooter. However, this same cabin on the Sensation is different so we could not stay there. I also had a very difficult (and frustrating) experience with the elevators when I was in Cabin M298 that 1st cruise and I didn't want to revisit those problems again.

I assumed wrong about the Lido pool eating area. I thought this hamburger, hot dog, chicken place would be in front of the pool just as you came in. However, if it is at the other end, then yes, you are right. It would be just a few steps inside and then we could sit down in air-conditioned dining. I think that I will go with the suggestion to have a crew member push my sister/wheelchair to this buffet area. Then that problem will be solved.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions!

Archived