Tipping - Private tour guides

Embracedbylife

We booked a private tour for 2 days in St. Petersburg for our upcoming Baltic Cruise. Does anyone know what % is customary in Russia for tipping? I know a lot of European countries don't expect to be tipped like we do in the US. Not that I'm cheap, but I don't want to tip 20% if they are only used to 10% - I would like to minimize my expenses a little and be prepared also at the same time.

Also, I have heard that the tip is included in cabs in Stockholm, so no need to tip - is this true? I would hate to NOT tip when supposed to.

We booked a private tour for 2 days in St. Petersburg for our upcoming Baltic Cruise. Does anyone know what % is customary in Russia for tipping? I know a lot of European countries don't expect to be tipped like we do in the US. Not that I'm cheap, but I don't want to tip 20% if they are only used to 10% - I would like to minimize my expenses a little and be prepared also at the same time.

Also, I have heard that the tip is included in cabs in Stockholm, so no need to tip - is this true? I would hate to NOT tip when supposed to.

The tour company gave us some suggestions. As I recall, it was closer to 10%. If they haven't suggested anything to you yet, an email might be appropriate.

I don't know about the cabs in Stockholm since we took the cruise bus transportation from the airport to the ship, but when we were in Russia we tipped more than 10% because our tour person was fantastic. There were 6 in our group. We also tipped the driver. The people who took the cruise ship tours did not see near as much as we did.

Enjoy your trip. We went last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nancy:)

Archived