Freedom-Western Caribbean

calico79

A friend of mine and I are looking to go on an 8 day western cruise later this summer with stops at Cozumel, Costa Rica and Panama. We can't afford to do an excursion at each stop, but we thought we would like to do an excursion in Cozumel. My question is how are the ports at Limon and Colon? Would there be things to do there if you don't book an excursion? Some of the ports I have been to in the past have lots of shops at the port, but you really can't go into town unless you get a taxi and stuff. I was just curious.

We just did that cruise 4-11-09. In Cozumel we just went to Paradise Beach which was great. In Panama and Costa Rica I would definitley reccommend booking tours. Not much to do within walking distance of the port. We did a tour with Oscar Brown tours in Costa Rica and MyFriendMario tours in Panama. Both were fantastic. Check out posts on the ports of call boards. Also these private tours were much more affordable than the ones that are ship sponsored. We had a great time on our cruise, hope you enjoy yours.

We are going to those same ports in Oct. You can read up on them in the port boards....although those boards are not as active as they are here. But from some of the research I've done, I hear there is not to much to see at those 2 particular ports. (If any out of the 3, Cozumel seems to be the best port to go on your own) But I know you said you want to do your excursion in Cozumel. We are doing ship sponsored excursions, in Costa Rica and Panama.....I usually try and find one under $100 and one that is not out all day, also, where you can get a little taste of the islands. Although, be advised from what I've read, it is not recommended to go out on your own on these ports. (But then again, there are reputable companies) So do your homework!! Be sure to let us know what you decide.....hopefully you will get a lot of responses, because I would love to hear more of what people have to say about these ports.

When are you looking at going? We are on the August 1st sailing. I've done A LOT of research and from what I've read the Panama Canal is somewhat interesting but can get boring. We are thinking of just enjoying the less crowded ship in Panama. I've never been on a cruise but have done a lot of research on it so take what I have with a grain of salt! lol

i think we are just going to check out the shopping at panama and then go back on ship. I hear there is a high crime rate in colon, so not good for two females. I didn't really like the excursions offered for Costa Rica from Carnival, so I might look into something with a private company. The only thing I am concerned with there is that we don't get there till 10am and that is when some of the tours leave from the private companies. As for the time we were looking at going, we were looking at the Aug 29th cruise. we are hoping that there won't be as many kids and stuff like that. As for excursions, we usually go with beach excursions. are there any nice beaches in Cozumel that are relatively close and fun?

I was on this cruise last fall. Sadly, if you don't do an excursion, there is little to do in either port.

In Costa Rica, there is an open air shopping area that is fun and full of souvenir type stuff and COFFEE , lots and lots of COFFEE! They have wood carving and pottery. I bought a beautiful vase and five packages of coffee and spent about $30. It was raining so they covered up with plastic sheets so it was really hot and humid.

In Colon, there is a "shopping center" right at the ship that seems to be for locals as there is a big grocery store and an applicance store. There are some exotic restaurants: Subway and McDonalds. There is a store that sells Russian merchandise. I bought some papier mache boxes there. And there are the usual t-shirt and souvenier stands. Oh, and COFFEE!

I Loved the cruise, my second on the Freedom. I'm a sea day person so this itinerary is great for me. I'm planning to go again as I'm out of coffee.

See the Panama Canal. It is a monument to American Ingenuity. Also see how it has decayed. The USA should reclaim that canal for the good of the People. It is for sure the people of Panama...all three million of them would see a lot more of the profits than they do now.

Take Carnival Tours in all of these ports. Bandits and such are not going to attack ship tours...they know the strongmen who run those nations would hang them. Don't go on your own.

Costa Rica has the biggest flower ..tropical..gardens in the World. Lovely..and you and walk and enjoy the paths. The Coffee Plantation Trip and the Banana Plantation Tour got rave reviews on my Freedom Trip in January. Costa Rica is more prosperous than most C. American Nations..but still take care.

The train ride to the Panama Canal...through the American area..the Gatun Lake area...is an experience you will remember forever. PLUS you are taken to the Pacific Side...totally unlike the Atlantic Side. More prosperous.

I did not go ashore at Cozumel...all they seem to do is take you to trinket sellers and show you things you can get in town. Not the Mexican countryside as promised.

ENJOY. WE HAD THE BEST TIME. IT IS A GREAT SHIP. GOOD FOOD. GREAT ACTIVITIES DIRECTORS....BON VOYAGE!!!!

Archived